1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

AJ / McNeill meet in person...No progress reported

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Boltergeist, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
  2. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
  3. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,721
    Tomorrow is a big day. McNeil is going to have to decide wether or not he's committed to missing games over this contract issue, because if he doesn't sign by midnight he's going on the EXEMPT list....which for all intents and purposes is a 3 game team suspension.

4. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    Just sign him already.

5. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    AJ is a dick. :lol:

6. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    I guess It's all the agents fault? :icon_rofl:

"The meeting, according to sources, was requested by McNeill so both sides could get a clearer understanding of where they stood. It was also a statement to the team that McNeill is in lockstep with his agent."

7. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,763
    AJ isn't going to back down and he shouldn't. McNeill chose this path to follow and the ultimate decision is his.

8. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    you got it. The agent has put mcneil in this terrible situation. :yes:

9. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Did you see the quote?
    Samething I've been telling you. :yes:

10. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Before Meeting:

McNeil & agent: I want to be paid more money with a longer contract even though the Collective Bargaining Agreement expires next year.

AJ: We're offering you this. Take it or leave it.

McNeil & agent: I'll sit out most of the season. Will you give me a new contract?

AJ: We're offering you this. Take it or leave it.

After Meeting:

McNeil & agent: We're being reasonable. Let's meet half way.

AJ: We're still offering you this. Take it or leave it.

McNeil & agent: We flew all the way out here. How about you just up your offer a little bit.

AJ: We're still offering you this. Take it or leave it.

How much clearer could AJ be about "take it or leave it?"

The agent's job is to get his client the most money he can over the longest period of time. Right now his client is looking to lose millions of dollars. So how is McNeil's multimillion dollar gaffe not Mcneil's and his agent's fault?

11. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    If MMc is lockstep with his agent why is he doing what his agent should be doing? I think this shows that MMc is taking care of things himself. Meanwhile his agent is all over the radio in Virginia promting his very worthy cause of supplying school supplies. I think this is a good sign because Marcus is here in SD. I am such the optomist:tup:

12. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    here's an idea. Mcneil should come in. Sign his tender for 600,000 and request a better contract for the year or longer. And if the chargers don't sit down after a while to give him a better contract for this year he just leaves. That way mcneil shows somewhat good recourse and leaves the ball in the chargers court to give him a fair contract for this year.

13. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    here's another angle to the mcneil situation.

Very probably because of the terrible advice of his agent has now left him with really only one recourse. He has to sign his 600,000 tender now. Then he has to say to the chargers. YOu give me a better contract or I don't play that well. Thats another possibliity. In which case the chargers have to give him a better contract or they just let him go. Which he'd then be a free agent I beleive.

Mcneil must have a very stupid agent. This is so messed up now.

14. ChargerRay

ChargerRay Producer/Host of BoltTalk Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +744
    AJ should stop being a dick, drop the $600K tender and re-offer the $3 million 1 year tender. Bet that brings Marcus back.

15. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

What part of Gawd don't you understand !!!

16. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    They're just giving each other the business. Nobody is giving an inch.

17. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,628
    LOL, ya he is

He is also awesome.

• Like Like x 1
  18. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279
    This.

Does your wife know you like dick, RTL? :icon_tease:

19. markrc99

markrc99 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    If the two sides can salvage this thing that's all the more reason to be optimistic. However the point that foober alludes to is a good one. Yeah, Smith may be in a position to claim a short-sighted victory, but the team would be better served if he treated McNeil in a manner that encourages him to play hard. We keep hearing about the ineptitude of McNeil's and Jackson's agents. I read an article yesterday, written by a former NFL executive who described them as experienced representatives who operate with a high level of professionalism. But what really stood out was when he said that partners Neil Schwartz and Jonathan Feinsod are seasoned experts at handling difficult negotiations.

You guys here have today and tomorrow. I strongly encourage you, and I mean in mass, to contact the team and let them know that you're aware that all these excuses: the CBA, the salary cap and the credibility of the players agents has all been BS and that you want the team to do right by Marcus McNeil! That he's in uniform isn't enough, we want him in the necessary frame of mind and proud to fight for this team! I personally have no idea what McNeil's circumstance is, but what may be different is that there is considerable interest in Vincent Jackson. Primarily, that team is the Washington Redskins. Everyone that's there now, wants to win now. If the Chargers do receive considerable compensation, it's apt to come from them.

The Redskins could wait, but by getting Jackson now, they can allocate the bulk of the investment on this year's "cap", similar to what Parcells has done in Miami with Marshall. On the other hand, the cap has never stopped them before. Now, I consider McNabb to Jackson to be a "lethal combination", but how tight an understanding of Shanahan's system they can develop with each other by January is debatable. I can only speculate but I would say the greater likelihood would be a 2nd rd pick or rights to Albert Haynesworth, or some combination.

20. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    I actually like this idea and think it would be a solid move my MM. Basically, tell the Chargers that he will sign the tender but that he is unhappy about it. That in good faith the team should negotiate a long term contract with him at fair market value. If that does not happen before the end of the year, MM can say he will NEVER resign with this team. That would be a fair negotiation, IMO. The fact that he could be franchise tagged would throw a wrench into things....

21. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    This.

Are you Vincent Jackson? You can tell us, you know.

Anyhow, I don't think it's BS, and I am in complete and total agreement with AJ.

You can't allow players to disrupt your plans. If they won't play, guess what? They're not players anymore. Find someone with the hunger and desire to play and plug 'em right in - and if you draft well, so much the better. We do amazingly well with that, along with UDFA (we have to be the ultimate UDFA gold mine). So I'm not worried. Hungry players will be there.

Both MM and VJ owe half their effectiveness to Philip Rivers intelligence, pocket presence, and quick release - and he's on the team and practicing.

So, frankly, I'm 99% not worried. I'm excited to see Floyd, Naanee, Buster, and Reed this year. MM I do wish was here, but I'm also excited to see how Dumbo and, especially, Green can serve at that spot. It also can "force" us to maybe work out of the double or triple TE set, which EYE think is a great formation for us anyway, especially with a strong runner back there now.

I see kind the absence of both those players as an opportunity for us to do some different things. (I have to confess to a little glimmer of disappointment that Larry English will play second fiddle again this year after SM came in - he was making good strides.) Norv, to my delight, has stated the same in some recent articles (like Clark Judge's most recent). AJ, obviously, does what he does, and I trust him implicitly.

So... no, I'm not writing or calling the Chargers, because they're moving forward, just like I'd want them to.

If those "players" want to ride this crazy train, all they have to do is jump on. It's up to them at this point.