1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

AJ on the Chargers Offseason!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by LT-Express, Jan 26, 2007.

1. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +354
    By Kevin Acee
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
    January 25, 2007

A.J. Smith
    Coordinator situations in flux

MOBILE, Ala. – Chargers General Manager A.J. Smith acknowledges the next month or so could bring the team's most intriguing offseason in years.

That might seem an odd claim considering at least 16 (and perhaps as many as 21) starters will return from a team that won a franchise-record 14 games in 2006.

But there are some critical unknowns going forward.

Will left guard Kris Dielman be a Charger in '07? Is quarterback Philip Rivers' foot going to require surgery? Is safety Terrence Kiel going to prison, and does it even matter to the Chargers' future? Will receiver Keenan McCardell return (if he has even been on the team the past few months)? Will running back Michael Turner be a Charger in 2007, or might he be pried away for a draft pick or two? Is linebacker Steve Foley healthy enough to play again, and would it be as a Charger if he is?

Even with so many players signed, the Chargers are well under the salary cap – about $10 million at present. So they have leeway to do almost as they please with Dielman and any other free agent.

Link to the full article

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20070125-9999-1s25chargers.html

• Like Like x 1
  2. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    I'm seriously not trying to be an a$$ or anything, but I believe Thumper is going to roll through and gently remind you that posting full articles from copyright sources is a no-no. Please cut and paste a couple paragraphs and provide a link for the rest of the story. Also the article you copied is actually "Restricted free agents area of concern for GM" rather than the "Coordinator situations in flux" article from UT.

3. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,763
    Regarding the concern that has suddenly gripped much of Chargerdom, Smith said any surgery Rivers undergoes on his sprained right foot will be minor.

ANY SURGERY, I thought they said it was no big deal. Are we in another Brees situation? :icon_huh:

4. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Distinct different being that Philip doesn't throw with his feet/ankles. :lol:

• Like Like x 2
  5. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,763

True but he still have to be able to move, plant and run for his life on occasion.:bolt2:

• Like Like x 1
  6. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +496
    I'm not concerned with Rivers' injury, he'll be fine

in regards to the free agents, I'd like Dielman, Phillips, Floyd and Polk (for ST) back, Turner traded for a first round pick and the rest could go either way

• Like Like x 1
  7. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    This draft hopefully will solidfy the chargers into a very good team for the years ahead. Get the final pieces that will hopefully make them strong enough to over what may get their way.

• Like Like x 1
  8. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +107
    I want 2 1st rounders this year. A safety and a WR.

9. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I love that we continue to improve the talent level of this team.

I hope we can do the same with the coaching

:tup:

10. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    I thought you were going to do another "Can't we all just be nice to one another" post. :icon_eek:

11. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Me too!!!:tup:

12. tboltzcali

Ratings:
    +107
    But at the same time, grabbing an extra 1st pick will probably cost us Michael Turner, and thats a big part of the success LT had this year.

13. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I'd love to see Turner come back but you figure, he'll want to be a starter sometime and it won't happen here.

If Turner goes, I say "move Ray Perkins to back up!!!!":bolt: :bolt:

14. tboltzcali

Ratings:
    +107
    I say no to Ray Perkins backing up LT. The guy doesnt hold up well. He is easy to tackle and has no leg strength. I say we draft a backup RB with size. Pinnock isnt the answer or we would of seen more of him. I like a Safety with 1a, assuming turner is gone, and a WR at 1b. I really havent heard turner complaining about not starting and assuming he likes the role up backup. Giving us a lethal 1-2 punch we yet to discover.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402

Isnt that from the newspaper? Whats the big deal.

16. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279
    i believe the chargers are going to be a force to reckon with, especially after a loss in the playoffs, these guys will be hungry for a win. and 16-0 is quite possible. 16-0 should ensure a superbowl appearance in the minimum

17. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Naw,

That's for the "other" board

Eveyone here can KMA and SMD!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  18. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,642
    true but next year he hits the open market, i'd rather get something for our most valuable resource then nothing at all

19. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +194

:tup: :tup: AJ Has to look for head coach position in 2008 !

20. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,721
    We have a potential to get 5 first day picks right now including 2 first rounders.
    Remeber what happened the last time AJ had 2 first rounders??? Merriman and Castillo joined our D!!!

21. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

I haven't either but if teams are going to offer him a starting position with big money, I can't imagine he'd say "no." That's why I think we should either give him a contract extention during the off season or trade him. Otherwise, he'll just walk in 2008.