1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

AJ... please hire Mike Nolan!!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by nickelbolt, Oct 20, 2008.

1. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    • Like Like x 1
  2. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Not sure about Nolan Nickelbolt....

:icon_eek:

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    he's a fool as a GM but he was damn good as a defensive coordinator

4. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Give him talent, and he will succeed...

http://www.49ers.com/team/coaches_detail.php?PRKey=15

Much of Nolan’s success as a leader and acute defensive mind was showcased in his previous position as the defensive coordinator with the Baltimore Ravens. During his impressive stint in Baltimore, Nolan’s defense yielded nine Pro Bowl starters in 2003-04. Over that span, his stingy defensive units also produced two NFL Defensive Players of the Year in S Ed Reed (2004) and LB Ray Lewis (2003).

In 2004, Nolan’s defense finished tied for second in the NFL in average rush per carry (3.6 yards). The Ravens defense allowed only 16.8 points per game, good for fourth in the AFC.

Nolan’s unit had 34 total takeaways, including 13 interceptions. Reed was named the Associated Press NFL Defensive Player of the Year after earning 20 votes from a national panel of writers and broadcasters who cover pro football to make him the first safety to win the award in 20 years. He led the NFL with nine interceptions and set an NFL mark with 358 return yards on those picks. Reed joined LB Ray Lewis, CB Cris McAlister and LB Terrell Suggs as players selected to start in the 2004 Pro Bowl.

In 2003, Nolan’s defense was among the NFL’s best, finishing third overall. Baltimore ranked first in the AFC with 17 fumble recoveries, led the NFL in sacks (47) and tied for first in the AFC and second in the NFL with 41 takeaways. The Ravens defense allowed just 281 points and grabbed 24 interceptions. Nolan was named to USA Today’s All-Joe Team following the 2003 season and NFL Assistant Coach of the Year by the Football Digest. During the 2003 season, Baltimore allowed the fewest yards per play (4.2) and fourth fewest passing yards (175.3 per game) in the NFL. Lewis was named the AP’s NFL Defensive Player of the Year and was the leading vote-getter on AP’s All-Pro team (49 of 50 votes). Reed, one of eight Ravens to make the Pro Bowl, tied a Ravens’ record with seven interceptions and Suggs was named the AP’s NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year while setting a Ravens’ rookie record with 12 sacks.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    OMG YES!!!!!!!!!!! I try not to be a reactionary guy when it comes to firing coaches, but Nolan is a GREAT DC!!!!! Did you guys see what he did with the Ravens? I would LOVE to bring him in. Kind of fire and intensity we need on defense.

6. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,554
    You guys should have heard everyone on ESPN radio DESTROYING TED COTTRELL!

Colin Cowherd, Scott Van Pelt, and Mike Golic all bashed him, and then they brought in Trent Dilfer their new analyst who said it best....."The Chargers are too talented to play such passive defense, their problem is one man, his name is Ted Cottrell."

7. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
  8. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...And none of it will matter. We'll all suffer a torturous few more years until AJ mans up and fires him. Sometimes you just have to say...I MADE A MISTAKE!!!! :icon_evil:

9. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Well, Mike's out... and Singletary has replaced him in SF. I think AJ is definitely going to consult Norv on this.

10. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    I approve of and agree with this thread.

11. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    He has too. I'm tired of lard ***.

12. Showmeyourbolt

Ratings:
    +192

He should. Nolan's history with the 3-4 defense is better than Cottrell's. Not to mention that he's younger, and his intensity would help the defense out. There's no way that it happens, but I could see this being a move that might rejuvenate a defense that is desperate need of a spark. The bye week is the perfect time to get him in. Fly him out to London AJ!

13. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Don't fuk with me Boltheads

Is this really a good idea?

what about Rivera? Everyone has been clamoring for him.

Now we change course in the middle of the season??

Bring in a new guy?

:icon_huh::icon_huh::icon_huh:

14. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    All I know is our defense can't stop anyone. And they make average qb's look all world. Odd this has been happening the last two years. I wonder what correlation it might have with our coaches we have now. Loyalty is one thing. Killing us is another.

I can not believe that Cottrell isn't gone yet and replaced with RIvera. Just check out what Rivera did with the bears defenses when he was there. HInt. A.j.. Come on. YOu've got one of the best D-coordinators on the team now.:yes:

At this point it won't matter changing d-coordinators. We couldn't be doing much worse defensively

15. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    It's a decent idea.

It's infinitely better than what we have.

Rivera is a 4-3 guy, dunno if he's picked up enough of 3-4 to be an effective 3-4 DC.

:icon_shrug:

I'm all in for Nolan though.

16. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    :icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  17. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    I'll second (or third, or fourth..) the motion, fire Cotrell, bring in [insert - which ever name you want, I don't care, He (or she) would be better than Cotrell - here ] as the new DC

• Like Like x 1
  18. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    For the people laughing about AJ asking Norv, well if you want AJ to hire Nolan, why wouldn't he? Norv did work with Nolan for 3 years and apparently he thought well enough of him to later work for him as his OC.

19. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Why?
    We already have a better canidate on the staff

20. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,413
    Missed this thread

Mods please delete mine.

As for the topic, I'm on board.

21. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +686
    Sounds good to me. Just don't let Nolan near any red flags.

Jabba is worthless, but if any change happens, I would likely be Rivera since he is here.

22. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    I too am on board with this.

BoltTalkers for Nolan!

23. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022
    Nope, Rivera for DC.... :tup:

• Like Like x 1
  24. Showmeyourbolt

Ratings:
    +192
    I really don't want Rivera. I'd rather see Pagano if we're hiring in house.

25. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    I also agree with this.

Pagano is, if anything, Wade's spiritual successor. The players like him and Wade wanted him bad. He'll know how to run this defense as intended.

Nolan if we're reaching out. Pagano if we're hiring in.

26. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    I am not one for making changes during the season.

I supported Marty until he played Brees in a worthless game for his own financial gain. Prick. The front office riff was Marty's fault not A.J.'s. The writing was on the wall and Marty's game plan changes in the ****ing parking lot before the Pat's playoff game sealed it.

I supported Norv during last year's rough start. I had faith while some of my bolt brethren were call for his head and booing him. I have faith in Norv. Norv is a winner.

All that being said....Ted must go. He is obviously over his head.

• Like Like x 2
  27. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    Normally I would agree with you, but the travesty that Cottrell has caused needs to be fixed. I tried to back him up and have faith in him, but he's failed too many times to keep having faith. Bring in Nolan, I really think he could make a huge difference, even mid-season.

I also think that the Defensive players would like to see it. I know publicly they're going to stand behind their coaches. You don't bad-talk your coach and expect not to be fined/suspended/punished, but I honestly believe deep down they all can't stand Fat Teddy and want to see him gone!

28. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    !!!!!

29. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,582
    Help me understand this...

So...we get rid of Cotrell, bring in Nolan as DC.

Does that mean every aspect of our defense has to be re-done? You're about to go 8 games into the season with one type of defense in place, albeit a ****** one. Bring in Nolan and are we looking at a major overhaul? If so, how difficult will it be to insall a new defensive scheme?

Not against this idea...just wondering about the logistics/execution of such a plan.

30. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    In A.J. I trust.