1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

AJ says no to T.O.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by szarmes, Jul 18, 2010.

1. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...n-wont-join-chargers-soon-but-neither-will-to

GM: Jackson won't join Chargers soon, but neither will T.O.

The San Diego Chargers aren't optimistic about Vincent Jackson's future with them. But that doesn't mean they believe Terrell Owens is the solution to their potential wide receiver problem.

"We're all set right now with our receivers," Chargers general manager A.J. Smith told the San Diego Union-Tribune on Saturday. "I don't want to be involved. A lot of people have us targeted (with T.O.), but they know I wouldn't do it."

That's despite the possibility of a prolonged holdout from Jackson, who wants a long-term contract and refused to sign his one-year, $3.268 million tender, which the Chargers lowered to $583,000 after the June 15 deadline. Left tackle Marcus McNeill has taken the same stance, possibly leaving the Chargers without two of their top players entering the season.

"They have rights," Smith said. "Unfortunately, it's not good for us to win a championship without our Pro Bowl left tackle and wide receiver. Not every player can get max contracts. The more star players you have, the more difficult it becomes. But it's very difficult to win championships without your best players. Everyone knows that.

"But championships also are won by remarkable people who persevere. I'm not dreaming."

Smith told the Union-Tribune that he believes Jackson and McNeill won't return until Week 10 -- the deadline for them to receive credit for an accrued season. That would make Jackson, who has posted back-to-back 1,000-yard receiving seasons, an unrestricted free agent after 2010.

However, as NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora recently noted, if Jackson doesn't report to the Chargers by at least the day before their fourth preseason game, the team could place him on a "roster exempt" list for three games. So Jackson might have to sign by Week 7 to avoid the possibility of being denied an accrued season.

Jackson also is suspended for the first three games of the 2010 season for violating the NFL's personal-conduct policy. However, that suspension will be considered served even if Jackson misses those games in a contract holdout.

Smith acknowledged that Jackson wants a deal similar to the five-year, $50 million pact the Miami Dolphins gave Brandon Marshall this offseason after acquiring him from the Denver Broncos. However, the GM insisted he won't budge.

"I don't know if our guys or their agents think A.J. will fold, but my history should tell you something," Smith said. "I won't be telling anything to these two guys; I have nothing to discuss."

Part of that comes from the labor uncertainty facing the NFL. The 2010 season will be uncapped, denying fifth-year pros such as Jackson the opportunity to become unrestricted free agents, which would have happened in a capped year.

"In a normal year, we would be doing contracts," Smith said. "My philosophy has not changed. I want to identify people and keep them. Under normal conditions, maybe we would have signed them. It's a unique year, a difficult year."

It has been a difficult offseason for Owens, who has watched team after team deny interest in him. The mercurial receiver spent the 2009 season with the Buffalo Bills and caught just 55 passes for 829 yards and five touchdowns, some of the lowest numbers of his 14-year NFL career.

If Jackson doesn't sign, would you want T.O. on our team? IMO, we have enough talent already and T.O. would just disrupt our team chemistry. I really hope Seyi becomes a star

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    maybe NOW this stupid thought can be put to rest for good

3. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    I'm sure nobody on this forum was thinking TO was coming to San Diego... :lol:

4. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    I'm fine with our position, but why can't AJ just keep his BIG FREAKING MOUTH shut. As much as he likes to say he doesn't care about perception of fans or media, it sure seems like that is ALL he cares about. Just say 'no comment'. He's got balls, but he's no poker player and he has zero diplomacy or people skills and he's all ego. Just stop talking about how Jackson and McNeill aren't going to play for us this year. Yammering on about it to the media isn't going to get the other side to cave. Talking about how we'd never consider T.O. only removes the tiny trickle of doubt and leverage he might have to just have the Chargers linked with T.O. as an option.

AJ does a lot of things right for this team, but he is a PR nightmare. If we just had someone in some sort of spokesperson role so we could keep his arse behind a curtain running the show without any public comment, we'd be in much better shape.

5. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    If you want AJ to stop talking about it you should tell the media to stop asking him about it. :icon_shrug:

6. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    Yeah...that will work....Like I said, he should be smart enough to just not comment and move on to discussing players on the roster. They keep asking him about it because they know it's just a matter of time before he inserts foot in mouth.

7. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    He probably would be best served to "no comment" them off, but at the same time I have a problem with suggesting he's being egotistic by responding to people.

It's not as though he's calling daily press conferences to remind everyone that he's not going to sign them.

8. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    Pul-EEEZE... Then all we'd hear about is how A.J. is so arrogant that he won't talk to anybody, and who the hell does he think he is, and every other GM talks to the media... yada yada yada.

9. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Does it bother anyone else that A.J. Smith referred to himself in the third person? I've never heard anyone in management speak this way.

10. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    I think there's a grammar error in there. Not on AJs part, but the reporter's. The way I read it was:

"I don't know if our guys or their agents think 'A.J. will fold,' but my history should tell you something," Smith said. "I won't be telling anything to these two guys; I have nothing to discuss."

Note the quotations.

11. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    Yes, this is one of the things I'm talking about. The way he comes off at times is borderline childish.

Like I said, I like a lot of things AJ does also, but unlike some, I don't have my head so far up his @ss that it can't see ANY faults with him.

12. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    I think it's a direct quote. It's not the first time AJ has referred to himself in third person.

13. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    So we're getting mad at AJ because he refers to himself in the third person now?

How nitpicky can we get?

It's not like he's going all Rocky Maivia in that quote, either. He starts off with normal pronouns and only says his name when referring to what others might think about what he'd think, then goes on to continue using normal first person pronouns.

14. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    I suspect you're correct.

15. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    bigmike's probably correct. AJ was more than likely stating a direct would-be quote that happens to include his name.

If he was trying to be cocky and refer to himself in the third person just for the sake of using third person pronouns why would he start off saying "I Don't know..." then right after the part in question say "...but my history..." and then finish "I won't be telling...I have nothing to discuss"

16. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    No...because he can't restrain himself from making unnecessary little jabs at players and agents that would better be avoided and that you typically don't hear any other GM in the NFL making. Example, what have we heard from the Patriots about the Logan Mankins situation? Nothing. He's doing all the talking...that's the way it normally works...the GM and organization should take the high road and be more professional.....not get dragged into a childish mudslinging contest with players and agents like we see with AJ every year. As much as I hate the Patriots, they are as ruthless as we are in these player situations, but are able to keep their business intentions in house and their quotables with a much larger media forum to a minimum.

17. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    So, if that's not what we're complaining about why were we complaining about it?

18. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,153
    I have two words for that idea:

Lord.
    FORBID!~~:tdown:

19. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    No **** it's a direct quote, re-read exactly what I said. It's amazing how punctuations and such make a difference. For example:

"Let's eat grandma" and "Let's eat, grandma" have two different meanings.

20. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    because it makes A.J sound cocky if he was referring to himself in 3rd person. Either way it probably doesnt matter and we're probably just making a big deal about it just because there's nothing else to complain about :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  21. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Finally!
    Someone get's it! :tup:

22. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Glad to hear AJ say he doesn't want this moron

23. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,729
    And how many Super Bowl rings does O.D. (errr T.O.) have???
    Riiighhht...

Pointy :icon_twisted:

24. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    That's... MOE-ron. :lol:

25. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Anyone that thought AJ would sign T.o. obviously doesn't know how AJ does things.

26. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,729
    I loved that line in Animal House...

Pointy :icon_twisted: