1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

AJ Smith... Chargers won't leave

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,405
    Former Chargers G.M. insists team won’t leave San Diego, regardless of vote
    Posted by Mike Florio on September 15, 2016

The Chargers are staying in San Diego, with or without a new stadium.

That’s the very strong opinion of the team’s former General Manager, a man who presumably knows a thing or two about the organization.

The Chargers are staying here,” A.J. Smith told Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune. “They have to do a deal.”

By “doing a deal,” Smith means “doing a deal in San Diego.” Even though the team has the exclusive option to share a stadium with the Rams in L.A.

“The reality is, there is no option,” Smith said. “There is an option, but it will never be exercised.”

It the option is never exercised, it won’t be a surprise. Despite reports from January and February that the Chargers and Rams were making progress on an agreement, a sense has emerged that the Chargers don’t want to share space with the Rams — and that the Rams may not want to share the market with anyone.

If Smith is right, it doesn’t matter if the ballot initiative aimed at increasing hotel/motel taxes succeeds or fails. Which means that the team would prefer that Smith not be communicating to voters who believe the Chargers will leave without taxpayer funding.

Smith’s comments now put the team in an awkward spot. They can ignore his remarks, agree with them (which is unlikely), or refute them. The most likely move will be for the Chargers to explain that their primary focus is securing proper funding for the new stadium and that no final decisions have been made about what will happen if the initiative fails.

Which may be technically true. But the Chargers surely know what they are going to do. And Smith surely believes he knows what that is.

2. Montrose

Montrose BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +223
    Crud

That settles it then. We're doomed aren't we...fcuked

/:(\

3. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,153
    I surely don't want to help undermine any efforts to get a stadium built in San Diego and keep Chargers here.

But I think AJ is mostly right.

L.A. absolutely does not want the Chargers. Especially when they're losing as they are now.

The Rams were coerced to say they'd take a second team, but Kroenke will definitely not welcome the Chargers.

The NFL does not want the Chargers to leave San Diego...their rejection of the Carson debacle was remarkable.

The Spanos family just reaped hundred of million$ of free capital gains$, merely by being the owners of an NFL team...
    they have less traction than ever to claim that they can't afford to shoulder a bigger portion of stadium costs.

I'm disgusted with the Spanos klan, and the sneaky Carson/Raider ploy really showed their true colors...
    how deeply ungrateful they are to the fans of San Diego for supporting a mediocre team for generations.

My ideal solution? New, less nepotistic ownership, new head coach, and powder blues for Sundays...

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Montrose

Montrose BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +223
    "My ideal solution? New, less nepotistic ownership, new head coach, and powder blues for Sundays..."

I fear you could add grow wings, a billion $ and a unicorn and that list is no less realistic...:(

5. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,153
    Well, the girlfriend and I did find a unicorn...:whistling:
    I'm not really too concerned about dollars...and they'd have to be huge wings: I'm no delicate lil' flower.

Of course, it's all wind and sails...I was talking ideal, not likely...

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. ChargersDepressYou

ChargersDepressYou BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the tip AJ. Bah humbug.

7. Boltz_from_Oz

Boltz_from_Oz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +143
    Ooooh....lucky you;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,733
    I am the walrus.

9. Slam

Slam BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +137
    I second this, #Spanosplssell

10. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings:
    +481
    “The reality is, there is no option,” Smith said. “There is an option, but it will never be exercised.”

Much like that Marty deal after 14-2....aye AJ??!!....you f*cken piece of sh*t. :poop::poop::poop:

11. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,415
    AJ Smith speaks!

Where's BOLTS4LIFE when we need him?

12. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,582
    Remember this?

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    In other words... It is what it is....

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
  15. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,405
    Wait........ They both can't be right, can they? ;)

16. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I thought you would be the one arguing that they could, because is a team that is largely absentee in their games really 'in' the city?

17. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,405
    Does a team without fans really belong anywhere? ;)

18. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Every team has some fans. I mean, look at the raiders... You have to visit prisons to find them, but even they have fans...