1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

AJ Smith - King of Spin!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Thumper, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    For a guy that doesn't like to talk about team business, AJ Smith can sure spin a story. Spin isn't necessarily a bad thing, it just is what it is.

Now for a guy that doesn't every talk about team business, I find it interesting that when it suites him, he'll give up all the details of what Brees was offered. 2 million, with up to 10 million in incentives. Sounds good right? Think about it. Is there any way Brees could take this offer. He has to play to get any incentives. There's no guarantee they won't sit him for Rivers. There's no guarantee he won't be cut next year brfore his bonuses kick in. If he sits the pine, even if healthy, he gets his 2 mil, nothing more. 2 mil is way way under market value for a QB of Drew's abilities and this is only 2 mil guaranteed offer, no matter how it's spun.

AJ Smith has made statements that if Drew wanted to be a Charger he would have signed the offer, but if AJ wanted him to be a Charger, he would have made a fair offer. Truth is Rivers is an AJ guy, Brees isn't.

Funny thing about this injured shoulder. Drew Brees has higher value now, than if he sits the pine behind Rivers for a year, then gets cut. Even if his shoulder is 100% a year from now. Think about that.

So AJ has many of the fans believing that Brees lied, that Brees is greedy. That's why AJ is the King of Spin. He's good at it. Brees is a stand up guy that plays his as$ off. He would have signed here for less than he'll end up getting. But he knew he wasn't wanted by AJ. He wasn't respected by AJ. Is it so bad to want some respect from the team you play your heart out for?

AJ has done great things for the Chargers. Even this isn't a bad move for the Chargers. The QB controversy would have only gotten worse if they both stayed. It's pretty obvious that Brees won't be here this season, but don't hate on the guy because of this spin. He's been a class guy while he was here, and I wish him the best (except when we play his new team) where ever he ends up.

This is of course only my humble opinion. :icon_mrgreen:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,209
    Both sides, Drew's/Condon's and the Chargers have taken black eyes from this. My concern is this. The Chargers might have a lingering effect if players feel the team will not treat them right, or fairly.

Did AJ take incentives off the table? I bet he did, twice before he has used that same tactic in negotiations. So it is quite possible, and even possibly probable that AJ DID say he was taking incentives off the table.

However it is clear for the contract posted in an article last week that there were incentives in the 06 season, Drew stated that there were no incentives until 07.

Both sides are clearly scared by this. Drew is going elsewhere, I wish him the best. Chargers are staying and I will now support Rivers and hope for the best.

But both sides have taken a hit in my eyes. I dont think AJ is infalible, nor do I think Drew is 100% class as I used to. Both might change in the future, not that my opinion matters to either.

3. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022
    Aj must really want Brees gone if he's announcing details of his offer... It's like here's what you have to beat to take him off my back. :icon_eek:

Apparently he's been told he'll start 12 games, no guarantees though. Pretty hard to accept knowing AJ likes PR..........:icon_wink:

AJ has done alot of good for the team. I can't say I'm happy about how he's handled Brees, but I still support him and think he's a pretty darn good GM.

4. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,209
    He (AJ) is a darn good GM. He has nada for people skills and that should be worked on IMO. However, I think AJ did the right thing in making the offer public. He could not allow Drew and Condon to make it seem like the Chargers were treating Drew as badly as the media was making it appear. He HAD to let the contract out, to keep the FA's, and players who might see San Diego as an option from thinking the Chargers were not an organization that treats players fairly. This is just my assessment and opinion on the situation, but it is what I think happened.

Did the Chargers do everything they could to keep Drew? Not in my opinion, I didnt even hear that they would be willing to negotiate the offer, that in my opinion is not acceptable.

However Drew and Condon skewed info to make the Chargers look bad. That is never acceptable in my opinion.

Its best that Drew go his way... This would have been a continuing saga that could have effected and divided the locker room more than it already has.

5. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022
    Good post..:)