1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

AJ Smith: "People who are afraid to fail will be 8-8 the rest of their life"

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by nickelbolt, Feb 20, 2007.

1. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Here's a text recap (for non-subscribers) of AJ Smith on ESPN Radio with Colin Cowherd this morning:

Colin prefaced by saying that overwhelming majority of SoCal’ers don’t like the hiring of Norv Turner. Colin doesn’t like it and so he put a call in to discuss it with AJ.

Asked about whether it bothers him that fans don’t like it?
    It doesn’t. Sure he’d love to have nothing but love for his decisions, but you have to go with what you think is right, because the reality is that people are going to call you stupid or smart one way or the other… so go ahead and do what you think is right. Says he learned this philosophy from Marv Levy.

About his relationship with Marty:
    I wanted to win a Championship and so did Coach Schottenheimer… let’s just say our
    views were galaxies apart and leave it at that.

About Norv being 1 – 11 vs AFC West teams and hasn’t done well vs the AFC in general.
    Not concerned about the previous record because he has never coached the Chargers and never worked as a Head Coach alongside AJ to win a World Championship.
    They have worked together in the past when they were both here in 2001 (as Coordinator and Director of Scouting, respectively). During that time they would discuss prospects and ideas. They are comfortable exchanging ideas with each other. Feels it’s important to be able to lay out all of your ideas on the table and share them.. Hard job to do alone and feels he can do that with Norv. He’s here with me now and many other good people to make this happen.

AJ Talked about building a big time defense. Both he and Norv agreed on Cottrell. Bringing in Rivera for his ‘expertise’ to make a package to work together and win a Championship.

He loves 14-2, 12-4, AFC West Championships and all that. Looks good on his resume and everything. But the goal is a World Championship. That’s what it’s all about. Doesn’t care if it’s 9 win season and a wild card win to get momentum, only cares about winning in the post-season now and getting the Championship.

Colin played the Jerry Rice clip where Rice said he is a great coordinator, but in Oakland he just could not motivate the players.

AJ responded by saying no matter what you do there will be people who like it and people who don’t… added that you could pop in a tape of Troy Aikman and would probably hear the opposite about Norv.

Looking back at history (says he likes to study the history of organizations) said that 85-90% of people tried to tell Bob Kraft not to hire Bill Belichik and that it would be a mistake to do so. Said Kraft went with his instinct and proved those people wrong. Not saying Belichick and Turner are the same. Just giving an example of opinions.

His best quote of the interview: “Don’t be afraid to fail. People who are afraid to fail and step outside of the box and are conservative and cautious will be 8-8 for the rest of their life. I don’t want to do stupid things and make stupid recommendations to the San Diego Chargers. I think we’ve made some progress here, I’m not happy with the results as far as postseason and I’m hoping to change that.”

Colin asked if Pete Carroll was contacted, AJ wouldn’t discuss who is on his list. He did say there were two other candidates who weren’t brought in for interviews but were on the list. But didn’t say who they were.

2. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Thank's for the article. How would you like to be 17 and have A.J. as your dad?:bolt2:

3. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Why we will win a Super Bowl now that Marty is gone.

I love AJ.

4. DjChemical

DjChemical BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    what a bunch of double talk.

5. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    How so?

6. loweezy

loweezy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    Where are all the AJ haters now that we just made another key extension?

7. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Colin Cowturd spent the first hour of his show baggin on the Chargers in general, and AJ in particular. "he's setting himself up for failure."

Cowturd is a breed of sports talk hosts that get so fulla themselves, they start believing their line of BS and everyone that disagrees with them is summarily dismissed.

He reminds me of acuppola posters here.

I have nuthin but contempt for him and them.

• Like Like x 1
  8. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Gawd speaketh!:bolt: :yes:

Tis truly a holy moment.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    I dont like Cowturd either. He goes on these rants for long periods.

I remember two season ago when the Packers were going to play the Falcons....callers were saying Favre would do well while Cowturd said he was done and he sid Vick was in a class by himself. Went for over an hour and even said if the Packers won.... well, i dont remember what he said he would do but he didnt do it and got his *** handed to him on air as Vick played like crap and Favre didnt.

I stopped listening soon after that.

10. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    I enjoy listening to Colin. Not for his sports takes as much as his rants about how he relates sports to everyday life. He just makes me laugh out loud sometimes. His rants about his wife & kids are pretty damn funny IMO. He's a flip-flopper on the sports predictions... but he makes no bones about being that way. He is able to laugh at himself, which a lot of these radio hacks refuse to do.

I do admire that he at least had the stones to invite AJ in after he bombed on him in the first hour. And he stuck to his guns in saying he didn't like the hire.

Still, Dan Patrick is far and away the best show in Sports Radio.

11. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Colin Cowherd is great. He's funny as hell, and doesn't mess around with fringe sports, sticks mostly to football, specifically the NFL. His "Spanning the globe" segments are the best thing on radio.

Cowherd might not like the Turner hire, but he's been a Charger homer for years. I bet he still picks them to win it all

• Like Like x 1
  12. DjChemical

DjChemical BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    He's on the radio right now with this bs.

"the goal is just to win games and get to the playoffs"

what the **** does he think happened the last 2 of 3 years.

They bring up the superbowl and he says he just wants to get to the playoffs and try to win a game.

hes not saying anything that hasnt happened already.

13. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Fuq cowturd

14. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402

I did like spanning the globe. That was cool but since i didnt hear the interview with AJ...i bet he didnt come close to telling or asking AJ some of the things he said during his hour rant.

Telling him that most So Cal people dont like the hire isnt going out there....its just the truth.

I did like that he played the Jerry Rice clip and AJ is kinda wrong about Aikman. Although Aikman WOULD and has praised Norv...Aikman also has never played for Norv as a HC so Norv didnt have to motivate anybody.
    All he had to do was coach them and nobody has disputed that he is a good coach.
    He just isnt a good HC.

15. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    AJ had the appropriate response for that.

He did mention several times, in his inimitable style, that the only "fans" happy about the hire was those in Denver, KC, and Oakland.

Fuq'im!!

16. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +288
    :icon_rofl:

GREAT ONE FOOBS!!!!!!!!!!! :icon_rofl:

17. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Did you miss the part where he said the 14-2 and 12-4 regular season record are fine and look great in the stats books and on resumes but the goal is to win in the playoffs? He's right, the regualr season wins don't mean anything if you **** yourself once you get to the payoffs. And Marty **** himself twice in the playoffs.

BTW, of course he's not saying anything new. That's AJ. $10 says he does 5 more interviews in the next few day and you see all the exact same quotes.

18. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Purty much verbatim, y'all axt me :yes: :tup:

19. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    Cowherd has been very positive of the Chargers for a while. He had Rivers on his show right after Marty got ousted. He asked Philip what it felt like to be playing with perhaps the greatest player in NFL history. After the interview he defended that comment by saying that is LT continues to do what he has done for another 6, 7, or 8 years he will go down as the greatest.

20. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Well, in the interview with Colin he said that regular season wins are nice, AFC West Champs looks nice on a resume, but he was not satisfied with the results in the playoffs. That sounds plausible to me. He feels he'll have a better chance of winning in the playoffs if he and the coach have some synergy. Doesn't sound like nonsense or gibberish (AKA: Double Talk)

Here's my theory on how everything went down: Initially, AJ decided to toe the company line with Dean's decision to retain Marty. But, he also was smart enough to have his backup plan set in motion during the week of the Pro Bowl. He knew there would be some casualties to the coaching staff, so he went to Hawaii and talked with a lot of people. One of those people was Norv Turner. I believe this was when Norv had his first interview. As soon as he learned of Manusky and Chud being hired by SF and Cleveland, he went into interview mode on Norv. Word about the interview got back to Marty and he was pissed. So Marty sets the wheels in motion to get himself ousted. He knows asking for his brother as DC will get him canned. So he does it. Meanwhile, AJ has already set up Norv's second interview. This is the reason they were able to negotiate terms and have Norv hired by Monday. Because while all the other candidates were on their first interview, Norv had just completed his second.

This means that it's entirely possible that Norv was the one who decided not to go to Dallas, as opposed to Jerry Jones deciding not to hire him. This left Dallas with the option of Wade Phillips or everyone else on his list not named Norv Turner. So he went with Wade. He didn't choose Wade over Norv. Norv chose the Chargers over the Cowboys.

21. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    What is your point?

22. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    That's some good **** right there, Bro!!:yes: :tup: :icon_toast:

23. DjChemical

DjChemical BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    The point is:

2006 season: "this team should make a deep run into the playoffs"

Now its: "The goal is just to make the playoffs."

Obviously hes not having too much faith in that they will even make it to the playoffs.

So what is it. Either this a team that has high expectations or is it now since his *** is on the line with this hire he doesnt want to expect as much as he did before.

24. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    It was Dean's choice to keep Marty.

You must have missed the part where AJ says he's not satisfied with just making the playoffs. :icon_shrug: Go back and read my recap of the interview with Colin.

25. DjChemical

DjChemical BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    then he's saying two different things because he didnt say anything like that on 1090 tonight just "if" they get to the playoffs they need to win a game.

26. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820

I could give a crap whether AJ says or said that "we should" or "we could" or "we will" or "we may make it to the playoffs" or "make it to the Super Bowl". I could care less if he says we a "primed" or if we are "poised". Does it really matter if he says "anything less than a Super Bowl is a disappointment?" His job is to assemble talent to make this team successful both at the player and the coaching level. Whether he is a accurate pronosticator or not matters in no way to me. Whether he sounded mega confident last off season and only super confident this off season sabsolutely nothing to me.

I still cannot grasp what you are griping about.

27. DjChemical

DjChemical BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6

how can expections go from deep playoff run to "just make the playoffs" for the same team.

28. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    I think you are mistaken in what his stated goals are. From his interview AJ stated that the goal was to win in the playoffs not just make them. Does that really seem like a retreat to you?

29. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654

I think you missed another interview where AJ said we need to find a way after we get to the playoffs to advance. His expectations are to at least win one playoff game whereas we have not even done that to date and then find a way to win it all.