1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

AJ Smith retires...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,583
  2. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    I realize that a thoughtful, intelligent, nuanced appraisal of AJ's time here
    --his draft picks, undrafted acquisitions, public comments, winning percentage, etc.--
    stands no chance against the simpler, dumber "AJ sucked!!!" which is almost
    certain to dominate...

So I'll just say "Thanks AJ" for the good you did (though there was obviously bad, as well)
    and hope you join us in hoping that Telesco does better...(and that his draft picks find
    their way off the training table and onto the field more often than they have thus far)

Enjoy your retirement, man. :)

Lance19

Now...let the cranky, crazy shitstorm begin!

Screen Shot 2015-03-01 at 12.59.20 PM.png

p.s. One stale nacho cheese Dorito to the first guy who barfs up "Lord of No Rings" in lieu of genuinely insightful commentary.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,412
    I doubt he would've retired if anyone was really that interested in his services. Even in the NFL, how you behave does have an effect.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,026
    That's an ultra elitist assumption, even by your pompous elitist standards ;)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Pumpkin Bolt

Pumpkin Bolt Zin me!

Ratings:
    +449
    AJ's one year at a time lasted about 10 years too long!

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,378

"Lord of NO Rings" !!! ..............................now hand it over.

7. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,378
    hahahahahahahahaha ................................Lancelot, winning fans over wherever he goes.

You're killin' me mate ....... keep up the good work. [​IMG]

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,583
    Anyone remember this? Twas a popular sig round here. Not mine though :

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  9. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    Could it be worse than Mountain Dew?

10. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    He had things going fine for a little while. I had thoughts of Trader Jack early on but then things started happening and coming unglued.

11. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings:
    +481
    Because of him we lost 14-2 Marty and got Norval......good freak'n riddance...A-HOLE.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,420
    Marty didn't do any better with this team than Norval did.

In fact their tenures are practically identical.

I'm forced to question how much better Marty's one and done 14-2 season that you're lauding here was any better than Norval's one and done 13-3 season 3 years later.

13. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Agree completely. It's popular to piss and moan and pretend he was the worst GM ever, but dude presided over the best stretch in Chargers history since the early AFL years...50 years ago. There were A LOT of lean years where the team had no chance. But the team was in contention nearly every year he was here. Would we all have liked to see a Super Bowl in there, of course! But A.J. wasn't responsible for coaching the team or playing the game, he just put the roster together. Was he perfect, of course not. But he was pretty damned good.

Good luck A.J., enjoy yourself and thanks from a grateful Chargers fan!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    I'll be honest - I've been grateful that AJ was the Chargers GM and that sticks to this day. I didn't grow up during Air Coryell or during the AFL era. Since I was born in the early 80s I had three 'good' years of football in 1992, 1994 and 1995 (if you want to stretch it). I endured a lot of bad football culminating with Ryan Leaf. AJ Smith brought consistent winning football to the Chargers for the first time in my life time. He was long in the tooth and got too egotistical for his own good but his moves in 2003 (best UDFA class ever), 2004-2006 were responsible for a stretch where the Chargers won the AFC west five times in six years.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    You know you are right. AJ did bring in Rivers and slay the Giants with that trade. He convinced one of our best OL players at the time to stay, when Seattle was trying to pave his way north with gold. He kept Gates around when Gates thought he was heading elsewhere.

AJ was a 'my way or the highway' man, which sometimes a GM has to be. But all in all he did an acceptable job and brought stability to the roster many Chargers fans did not see for some time. He had his flaws for sure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,420
    I grew sour on AJ simply because his track record in the draft became steadily worse. All of that nonsense about his "ego" was way overblown. If a guy can put together a talented roster I don't care what methods he uses to get it done. It's the simple fact that he was no longer getting it done that soured me.

But....water under the bridge. He definitely presided over the best era of Chargers football I've ever witnessed.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 2