1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

AJ Smith Upbeat about the Bolts

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, May 5, 2011.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,406
    Smith upbeat at a down time for NFL, Chargers
    BY
    THURSDAY, MAY 5, 2011 AT 4:01 P.M.

Despite the current labor situation, the diminishing returns of his high-powered team and the fact that the Chargers are trying to recover from a hugely disappointing season, general manger A.J. Smith hit season ticket-holders with as much optimism as he could muster in a conference call Thursday.

“I’m very happy with the football team that we have …. and very happy with the head football coach (Norv Turner) that we have,” said Smith, responding to fans' questions. “It’s my strong belief (that) he’s one of the brightest minds that I’ve been around. I also know that his progress in the regular season has been pretty outstanding.

“I understand the concern of the fans that we are not progressing in postseason. Our objective is to win a world championship. In order to do that, you’ve got to get in the postseason. We just believe in one another right now, we just believe in the course that we’re on. I understand fans saying, well, maybe it’s going in the opposite direction. We look at it totally different. We think we’re so close.”

The Chargers have gone from the AFC Championship Game (2007) to losses in the division playoffs (’08) and wild-card game (’09) to not qualifying for the postseason at all, losing their grasp on the AFC West Division title in 2010. Last year’s failures belied the fact that San Diego led the National Football League in both offense and defense in terms of most yardage amassed and fewest allowed, respectively.

“Special teams let us down, but didn’t let us down a little bit,” said Smith. “They let us down big time. It’s unacceptable and will not be tolerated. We’re going to do everything we can to turn that thing around, not only turned it around to be acceptable or where we were. We’ve raised the bar, raised the bar big-time on special teams.”

In addition to the offseason change from Steve Crosby to Rich Bisaccia as special-teams coach, the Chargers clearly put a major emphasis on return units with their draft choices last week. Smith also emphatically and repeatedly pushed the “attacking” style of new defensive coordinator Greg Manusky, who replaces Ron Rivera, now head coach of the Carolina Panthers.

“We’re gonna load Greg’s wagon,” said Smith. “We’re doing it now. We’re gonna look at free agency and give him every opportunity to turn this sucker loose on defense.”

Of course, there is no free agency at the moment. There is no NFL, per se, given the lockout and resultant legal wrangling that effectively has the game in freeze-frame mode.

“It will be resolved,” said Smith. “There will be football this year. We all believe that. I think the fans believe that. Eventually, we’ll have an announcement that both parties will have come together and we’re going to move forward…

“Once we have (resolution), I want fans to know that we have a plan. We have an absolute plan. All we need is less than five minutes…We’re not going to meet to find out what we’re going to do. We’ve already had our meetings. We already know exactly what we’re going to do.”

2. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    glad you're happy with 8-8 AJ. thanks

yo AJ, you didn't make the playoffs last year

• Like Like x 1
  3. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I like what AJ said regarding our D & Manusky. We haven't had a true attacking defense since Wade left. Time to get back on track to our D setting the tone of the game.

As for ST, no one can deny how bad that unit was last year or that the hemorrhaging needs to be fixed. We have the coaching change & new faces. Let's see what happens.

4. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    I don't believe he said that.