1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

AJ SMITH

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by reef shark, Jan 11, 2009.

1. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    this is for the people here that photoshop the aj smith faces over jesus' body.

why would you ever give new england a second round pick for a running back you will never use?

why draft an undersized safety (trading up) that played in a terrible conference? UNLV could beat Utah 2 years ago

the game is not over but people need to stop worshipping the GM and realize he has fd up. that is all

ps try praying for taylor mays dropiing 10- 15 spots. peaz

the safeties have been terrible today

2. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,415
    I don't think I'm quite as high on him as I once was, but at the same time he's not quite the goat either.

The team is still as talented as it is because of him.

3. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54
    No GM hits 100% of the time.

I still don't think Weddle is that bad. You are only as bad as your weakest link back there and Hart needs to be replaced.

You can't expect Hester to show he was worth the trade after 1 year.

Cason was a good pick this year and should push Cromartie in the offseason (expect Cro to be much more like the 07 version in 09).

I think this might actually be the year where AJ dips a little bit more in FA, as the window is closing a little bit with this group, and we don't have the luxury to develop young players like we used to.

4. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    People need to get off Weddle and Hester's nuts. Seriously. Weddle needs help, and Hart is NOT helping, he's nothing more than a scrub, I don't give a **** what anyone else says. He got beaten BADLY several times today, thankfully Ben overthrew a wide open Holmes 2 or 3 times or the score would have been way worse.

Hester is a ****ing rookie. Stupid ****ing Chargers fans want to tar and feather the dude 6 games into his career. Blame Norv for mishandling Hester, but bottom line, Hester has shown he can play when his number is called.

AJ is still the best thing we've got going for us and don't you ****ing forget it. You'll all be sucking on his taint in about 4 mos after the draft.

5. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    But there is no denying we need to start drafting fat boys and lots of them. Our lines and linebackers just are not tough enough. We spent far too many draft picks on skill positions the last 3 years.

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    Weddle has made great strides this year but yeah he can't do it alone. He does his job pretty well but he can't cover two safety spots. He's also not a big hard hitting safety, never has been never will be.

Hester, jury's still out. Maybe like Sproles it'll take time to find exactly his role. I think he also showed some improvement as a blocking fullback. I do agree, dumb to trade a second on him. However what I believe is that AJ wanted guys to add the final touch, he didn't expect having to rebuild chunks of the defense and the right side of the OL. In the former you can trade those picks since they're not crucial. Now expect him to trade players for picks, assuming there are any.

I've never thought AJ was Christ (I don't believe in the latter after all). He remains a damn good GM/Judge of talent but can't be allowed to have much of a say in coaches. He also needs to get hopping because we need another safety, a real ILB, a nose tackle, a new DE and a RG/RT

7. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    dude his w/i his first 3 carries in the nfl he fumbled

had costly penalties today

so how about not playing the guy at all???

in which case norv has a problem in personnel...

8. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    you answered your own question

9. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    norv has a problem in personnel and its not the gms fault? provide something related with football man

10. auctoritas

auctoritas BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +40
    QFT

11. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    his problem is how he handles that personel the gm gave him

12. sdrocks

sdrocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +16
    I agree with Big C. No GM is spot on every time. I don't like the craig davis pick either but AJ sure has made a lot of good picks.

I hope we dip into FA this offseasn and it'd be nice if we could trade Cro for a 1st rd pick.

13. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    how would anyobody have success with a a sproles sized rb starting for the first time against the best d in the league.

dude i like sproles, he seems to have heart, but i have to hold my breath every time he carries it since that miami game 3 years ago.

if norv doesnt have half a runningback how do you expect to have any type of an offense. im still waiting for answers, and firing norv is not one of them

ps maybe we should have put gates in the backfield??

14. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    AJ has a lot of work to do this offseason and the middle of our defense is softer than a wet virgin vagina.

That was disgusting watching us only rush four and get killed on third and long.

We need thumpers on defense.

15. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Both lines have to be addressed this offseason.

WE MUST HAVE the new Jamal!

16. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Umm, did you skip my first post refering to HESTER? When did I ever mention Sproles?

Today Norv should have kept trying people out in the backfield until something worked, but by the time we got the ball in the 2nd half, we were too far behind to run anyways, so....:icon_shrug:

17. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    try who? we were down to ex-chief scrubs...

rivers had to carry the team to win and without even a 4th string runningback we were doomed. sorry, hester just wastes a roster spot

18. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Man give him at least two seasons before you burry him. :no: :tdown:

19. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    :lol:

are you drunk or what right now?

you want roster spot being wasted, I can name 10 guys not named hester that deserve to go before jacob

hom many carries did bennett get? or hester? or tolbert? or Jackson? or chambers? ect ect ect

20. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    the only reason we got bennet is because teams were tired of him fumbling. hi is fast as hell but could never take care of the ball, anywhere, except that one year '01 or 02.

hester shouldnt even get carries in this type of game bc hes a ROOKIE right????

tolberts a fullback. that leaves us with gross and perkins from the practice squad.

21. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...Especially dumb to trade a second for Hester when last year's draft was so RB deep. Tashard Choice was taken when??? Other than giving up a bit much for both Weddle and Hester, IMO AJ's biggest recent fault has been in over estimating the talent of the ones he did extend!

This defense has zero chance of getting to the QB or even in stuffing the run unless they send EVERYONE! They lack the physicality to overpower or even to break away from blocks. Geez, in two games Willie Parker looked like Jim Brown. Yesterday, they absolutely had to get to Big Ben the way the Ravens and Eagles have proven is the best way to disrupt him. They didn't and even a struggling Pit offense scored 35. Give him time and Ben will just throw phuckin darts :tdown:

22. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    Hester is too small to be a fullback and too slow to be an effective running back. If he bulks up he might become a more effective blocker but he's kind of a tweener. That's not a good place to be in, if you're an NFL fullback.

23. clontarf_bolt

clontarf_bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +40
    Ill admit he needs to bulk up, but he can be a great player when given the chance. his TD drive against the Broncos was fantastic to watch, the kid is strong! and he's a good receiver too, he just needs time and carries/catches. and he'll improve as a blocker as he gets more plays and bulks up