1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

AJ surprised with Seattle's offer

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by MasterOfPuppets, Mar 19, 2010.

1. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    link

2. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    The funny thing is, if Whitehurst turns out to be a good QB 5 years from now, people will still be whining about how AJ sucks and how he should have gotten more

3. Boltzlover

Boltzlover BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +28
    I really hope this works out to be a win-win situation. I would like Whitehurst to do good in Seattle and of course I want AJ to turn the #40 and next years #3 into gold for the Bolts.

edit: wrong team.

4. Centella Cajon

Centella Cajon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +8
    Have I missed something? SF? Huh?

5. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    well, as a seahawk he will play there once a year, maybe the poster is a seahawk fan living in San Francisco and want to go to the game? :icon_shrug: :icon_tease:

6. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,414
    I bet some would even go as far as to call him an idiot for letting him get away.

7. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    If they are going to do so, they need to do it now, not five years from now or it doesn't mean jackshit.

8. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Whitehurst caught Seahawks GM's eye years ago
    SEAHAWKS: Newly acquired quarterback Charlie Whitehurst was scouted by John Schneider when he was at Clemson

ERIC D. WILLIAMS; Staff reporter

It must be some kind of cosmic fate that has brought San Diego restricted free agent Charlie Whitehurst to Seattle.
    Seahawks general manager John Schneider and Whitehurst were born in the same hospital in Green Bay, Wis. Whitehurst’s father, David Whitehurst, played quarterback from 1977 to 1983 for the Packers, the same organization for which Schneider worked in the front office for the past eight years before joining Seattle.
    “The guy most excited about this is John, because he wants to get David Whitehurst’s autograph out of this,” joked Seahawks coach Pete Carroll on Thursday, when Whitehurst was in introduced to the Seattle media.
    Kidding aside, Schneider said he first realized Whitehurst’s potential while watching him perform in the wind and the rain in a workout for pro scouts in 2004 at Clemson.
    Whitehurst’s workout had Schneider making plans to check out the hard-throwing quarterback again, which he did the next season when Green Bay played a Monday night game at Carolina, going down early to see Clemson play at Wake Forest.
    Whitehurst threw for 304 yards, but he also threw two interceptions in the Tigers’ 31-27 loss on Oct. 1, 2005.
    “You have to watch quarterbacks live to get a real good feel for them,” Schneider said about the game. “And I just liked his swagger. I liked his juice. I liked the way he threw the ball, and I think he’s a guy I’ve always liked. … It’s hard to get guys that can just spin the football like that out of your head.”
    A little more than four years later, the Seahawks finalized a trade with the San Diego Chargers to make Whitehurst the team’s quarterback-in-waiting behind veteran Matt Hasselbeck.
    The Seahawks swapped second-round picks with the Chargers, giving up the 40th overall pick in exchange for San Diego’s No. 60. Seattle also gave up its third-round pick in 2011.
    Seattle relinquished valuable draft position in the second round for a chance to sign a 27-year-old quarterback who has never thrown a pass in the NFL regular season. And they committed some cash as well, reportedly signing Whitehurst to a two-year, $8 million contract with $2 million more available in incentives.
    Whitehurst was extended a third-round tender by San Diego, so in order to obtain his services Seattle either had to sign him to an offer sheet and give up a third-round pick or negotiate a trade as compensation. Seattle has no third-round pick in this year’s draft, so the team negotiated alternative compensation for Whitehurst.
    Seattle also outbid the Arizona Cardinals for Whitehurst’s services
    Schneider credited pro personnel director Will Lewis with helping to broker the deal with the Chargers. And although the team values its draft picks, Schneider said he considers Whitehurst part of this year’s draft class.
    Carroll said he and Schneider understand the pressure involved in making this move early in their tenure.
    “There’s always risk involved when you make a decision like this,” Carroll said, “But our research and our background in making a trade of this nature, we felt like we had the elements that put together the kind of process that allowed us to make a very confident, solid decision.
    “We’re not looking over our shoulder on this deal at all. We think we’ve done something that absolutely helps our football program.”
    Whitehurst passes the eye test. He looked all of 6-foot-4, 220 pounds when he stood up after the press conference and introduced himself to reporters. Both Carroll and Schneider raved about his arm strength and mobility.
    But Whitehurst’s preseason statistics are not exactly great. He has thrown for 1,031 yards, five touchdowns and seven interceptions in four year’s worth of exhibition play, completing 52.8 percent of his passes for a 61.5 passer rating.
    Whitehurst said he understands that the real test will come when he has the opportunity to put his skills to work during a meaningful game in the regular season, which he has yet to do in his four seasons in the league.
    “I certainly have some things to work on,” he said when asked to talk about some of the weaknesses in his game. “I don’t have a ton of experience in game situations. And I understand that. And that’s what I kind of have to make up here pretty soon and convince everybody that this was the right thing to do. And that’s what I plan on doing.”
    So the move to pick up Whitehurst rules out the possibility of Seattle taking a quarterback in the first round, right?
    Wrong.
    “Absolutely not,” Schneider said. “We’re going to compete at every position. And you guys are going to get tired of hearing this, but we’re going to be going down every road. Even if there’s five of them standing there, we’re going to be evaluating all of them.”
    Carroll said Hasselbeck remains the starter, but he expects Whitehurst to push for time as the team’s starting signal-caller.
    “Let the games begin,” Carroll said. “Matt’s obviously our guy that we’ve been excited about for a good while, and we’re pumped to have him. Charlie’s going to fit into this competition and take it as far as he can. And we have big expectations for him for the long haul.”
    Carroll said he and Schneider talked to Hasselbeck early on in the process about the team’s intentions in pursuing a quarterback. Carroll said that he, Whitehurst and Hasselbeck sat down Thursday and had a conversation about how things would work moving forward.
    “I expect, just from everything Matt has said, who he is and what he’s all about, that he’s accepted this as a great addition to our team,” Carroll said. “And he’s going to help make that happen by helping Charlie.”

9. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    Wish Charlie luck in Seattle ! Should be a win-win situation !
    :bolt::flag:

10. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Won't stop people from doing it. They'll claim that they knew we should have kept Whitehurst or how AJ didn't get enough for him etc.

11. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    All I know is that this trade MADE MY WEEK! :tup::tup::tup::tup:

12. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    Of course, that's what ignorant people do. It's too bad that the mentality of many charger fans has evolved into know it all's who would have made the best moves for our team if they were gm.

13. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,414
    That's most sports fans.

14. keoni boi

keoni boi BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    You know what man? thats some of the truest stuff I have heard. If we have a good draft?... AJ= genius A bad one?...
    AJ = drive him out of town. Always a witch hunt with that guy. he impresses me. If your an AJ hater then I can't understand why

15. Chargerfn909

Chargerfn909 High and tight kid, high and tight!

Ratings:
    +34
    Give me a break. We have Rivers who is less than a year older than Whitehurst, plus the best backup in the NFL, Volek. both are far better than Charlie. Charlie served 0 purpose with the Bolts. The dude will NEVER be a Rivers so there is no harm no foul in this trade. We got a great deal.

My ONLY question is who was AJ eying at 40 that he couldn't get @ 60. Sounds weird but if you were drawing up mocks, how much did it really change yours? Mine, very little. He has something up his sleeve.

16. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    I dunno, don't forget the Eagles have Vick, he was a (pretty good) starter at one point.

17. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    Toby Gerhart, Ryan Mathews, Mount Cody, Charles Brown, Taylor Mays... Should I go on?

18. Chargerfn909

Ratings:
    +34
    Ryan Mathews will NOT be there at 40, Mays will NOT be there at 40, Brown (more than likely) will not be there at 40, Cody will more than likely not be there at 40 and Gerhart would have been there at 60..

So yes, please.. Go on..

19. Chargerfn909

Ratings:
    +34
    Nehhh, I'd take Volek as a pure QB over Vick all day. Vick is fast and can cause trouble in that regard but he's not smart enough to be a GOOD NFL Qb. He's just fun to watch :lol:

20. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    You're telling me people here wouldn't ***** and call AJ an idiot if Whitehurst won the SB next season?

I can see the arguement now, first Rodney, then Brees, now Whitehurst, AJ is a ****ing idiot.

Or if Rivers had a down year and Whitehurst had a good year, or Rivers getting hurt and Volek playing poorly etc.

Don't pretend that people won't do this because they've done it plenty times before.

21. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    All the same people who *****ed because we let Cleo Lemon get away.