1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

AJ, the TO of GM?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by msmith, Feb 13, 2007.

1. msmith

msmith BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    This observation was from a poster in a different conference:

He's the TO of GMs. He's done really, really well in terms of player evaluations. And he's done really, really bad in personnality management, of players and coaches. Its kind of a bizarre situation.

I don't want a bash AJ thread, but the statement is interesting.

Discuss, and try to be objective please.

2. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    is this from booman? :icon_shrug:
    (although I don't see the go bolts signature)

3. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Tell that other poster that leisure needs a new Man Friday.

4. Critter

Critter BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23
    I would say that is way off base.

How many talented players has AJ locked up on multiple year contracts?

He does more than just evaluate talent. He has built the best roster in the NFL in 3+ years and signed a core for the forseeable future.

One of Shotty's worst skills was a talent evaluator. If he was questioning AJ on who should be signed, re-signed or drafted no wonder AJ disliked him.

If Shotty would have just kept to coaching and actually win in the playoffs he would still be here.

Oh, and trying to hire his brother as DC (who is not well regarded in league circles) was also a major blunder on his part.

Remember Dale Lindsey?

5. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Aj may not be a people person, but no one can say he is dismanteling this team the way TO does his teams.

6. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022
    Could the thread starter be an AJ relative. who's pizzed at him...

Maybe the Mrs? :lol:

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930

this is a very very dumb statement

8. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    If there's anyone in our front-office who has issues it's Dean. It's pretty obvious AJ wanted Marty gone a couple years ago. If Dean had listened to AJ then, or had responded a little more realistically when he discovered there was a problem, this wouldn't be an issue today.

Sometimes co-workers just don't get along. I haven't heard of AJ having personality conflicts with anyone other than Marty and I guess Donnie Edwards. Have you?

AJ comes off as arrogant I guess because he's measured and he only gives out the information that he wants people to know. He's a tough negotiator but that sure hasn't hurt the team.

People are way too caught up in AJ's personality. This isn't exactly the first time Marty has clashed with the front-office. He wanted more power in KC--he got that power and ended up doing nothing with it and had to resign. He conflicted with Snyder in Washington and he conflicted with AJ in SD. So if anyone has a history of this sort of thing it's Marty.

9. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    How many Patriots players want to suck their GM's dick (Pioli)?

The Patriots got their players to buy into playing on the cheap to win and now head cases like Ted Johnson are claiming foul.

I am not sure why fans seem to want to see the GM's as some Mary Poppins do gooder holding everybody's dick at the trough. Fuc that.

10. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    AJ cares about the Chargers. Marty cares about "his boys." AJ doesn't have "his boys" with the probable exception of Buddy Nix. He understands it does no good to get too chummy with people he might have to fire in a few months. Hopefully Dean will learn that too.

The players and coaches can be one big happy family. The GM cannot be grandpa. He has to make too many tough decisions where he's faced with choosing the good of the franchise over the good of an individual--like letting Drew Brees leave in free-agency and not re-signing guys like Donnie Edwards. He has to make unpopular decisions but there has to be someone in the heirarchy whose only concern is the franchise. Not the individual players and coaches--the FRANCHISE. And that's AJ.

11. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I respectfully disagree. AJ certainly does have his people. Brees was not one of his people, Edwards is not, Marty certainly is not.

Both Marty and AJ cared greatly about winning, which makes it much more confusing that they could not get along.

12. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    A.J. has mastered the art of what I like to call professional detachment.

Fans intrepret this as being cold or aloof or as being a non-people person which is all bullshiit invented by fans.

Marty crossed a line which he did not have the balls to admit which caused the riff. So be it. Maybe Marty will learn you do not **** in the hand that feeds him the next go around.....although the mother fuggers walks off into the sunset with $3 million for doing nothing.

13. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    I remember some agents *****ing about him, but hell they're agents. And he actually got on well with the freekin Poston brothers.:icon_shrug:

14. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Signing Brees to a $10 million contract with a torn up shoulder would've been stupid. AJ protected the franchise. Nothing personal. Donnie's the one who made his situation personal...AJ just told him to STFU and do what you're paid to do. And you know what? Donnie DID STFU after that.

We're not going to miss Donnie. He's not worth the money. Dumping him is good for the franchise. That's why AJ will do it. Letting Brees go was good for the franchise. Now we have a younger QB whose best days are ahead rather than a somewhat older QB with more mileage who is going to have surgery in the offseason for the third straight year. PR is younger, cheaper, and his performance was pretty much just as good as Brees' performance had been for us. Clearly, without any doubt, that was the smart move.

AJ protects the franchise. Marty looks out for his favored vets and his assistant coaches. AJ looks out for the franchise.

You do see the material difference in those two roles, right? Because when Marty makes a difficult decision it usually means someone is getting cut in the preseason or benched. When AJ makes a difficult decision it usually means someone's getting fired, cut, traded, or is being allowed to walk in free agency. I wonder why AJ might appear "meaner" than the head-coach?

15. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    :icon_bow: to this post

16. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    AJ is like Larry Allen in his prime... too ****ing powerful to **** with even if you hate him. What the french call "une untouchable" :abq2:

17. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    The French are une unbearable.

18. sdrocks

sdrocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +16
    He's the Michael Jordan of GM's. He's the best at what he does and he has problems with people that don't buy into his plan. That's leadership.

19. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Sorry it sounds to me like your saying every thing that has happened is no reflection on AJ. I again respectfully disagree. You and Trumpy can carry AJ's falg and wave the pom-poms for him, but in several reported instances he has acted less tha profesional. Putting his personal feelings and ajendas before what is good for the team.

Holding an impromtue meeting to have Marty replaced after the final game last year, in the locker room, with members of the team there. Not the time or the place for him to carry out his personal agenda. Nor was it cool if as reported he durring the coaches speech after the game said "I cant listen to this any more." and got up and went into the trainers room. This was reported by Jay Glazer today on 1090.

Perhaps you guys think things like that is ok. I see it as one man who is being detrimental to the team. Sorry, two men. Both Marty and AJ should have been grown assed men and at the very least found a way to communicate face to face with one another, face to face, and not through intermediaries.

Another thing, AJ was DEAD WRONG to not inform the coaching staff that Cleo Lemon was traded for some peice of shite from Miami. DEAD WRONG! He needs to communicate with the Coaches, the fact that ALL the Coaching staff found out when Cleo turned his playbook in is inexcusable.

Sure, you will shake the pom poms and say it wasnt his fault or his job. But I disagree. It is his job to communicate with the members of the teams leadership, this includes the Coaches, not just Dean.

There is blame to go around. Cheerlead for AJ if that is your thing, but you are deluding yourself in my opinion if you think that our GM, who has assembled a GREAT team, has doen everything in his power to make it fully functional.

20. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    You are dead WRONG again.

You are miffed over an improptu meeting and AJ getting disgusted with another meeting and he walks out.

If that is all you have against AJ and the fact a third/fourth string QB was traded for a draft pick is woefully misguided - again.

Did you ever consider the meeting AJ left may have been due to the fact the Chargers never changed the calls when we played the Dolphins a few years ago and LOST because they knew our signals because of Cleo Lemon. If I were AJ, I would have broken a window on the way out but you think different......**** dude you need to get a grip. Scott Pioli of the Patriots is not well liked around the Patriots team because he is cheap.

All this **** of hand holding for the sake of universal harmony between head coach and GM is alll bullshiiit. Just like Dean said, he does not pay them to be friends, he pays them to do a job.

AJ should not need anyones permission or blessings below him to make a trade which he feels benefits the team.

21. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654

Hey FU too....

AJ wants someone who is not going to stab him in the asss and back like a biitch usurping his authority.

The rest of your post is caca.

22. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Wave those pom poms....

Trumpy, before you jump and do the splits, make sure your wearing your crusty whities...

23. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    AJ's people are the ones he thinks can help the organization. Brees was one of his people when he franchised him. Jamal Williams became one of his people because he could help the organization.

AJ certainly has a philosophy about what type of players he wants. And he wants big, physically imposing bad asses. Edwards does not fit that mold.

24. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    FU!

NO

FU!

GAWD I LOVE THIS BOARD!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The bottom line is Marty was cursed.

bye-bye

25. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    :abq2: - The FU's have a way of flying between me and leisure and sometimes Conc but mostly only after a few beers. :lol:

26. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Back to the topic of this thread:

Threadstarter, that is one of the dumbest things I have ever read in my life. Show me how AJ is sabotaging the team and organization all for his own selfish agenda? I don't see Aj calling press conferences and **** just to get a little face time because someone else on the team is getting more face thime then him. ****, I'd bet you if Aj could go a year without having to do a press conference or do an interview he'd be more than happy to do so.

TO is all about TO. AJ is all about the TEAM.

YOU = FAIL

27. msmith

msmith BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    Wow, take it easy, RTL. As I stated in the opening statement, I didn't mean to bash AJ the Great. I just wanted a discussion. If I offend you by badmouthing your idol, it is truly unintentional and I apologize.

Go ahead and neg rep me.:yes: I am such a failure.

28. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Why would I negatively rep you? That's not me, man. I realize you were bringing up something somebody else had mentioned and were looking for everyone's take on it.

Maybe I should apologize to you, you're not the failure, but whomever the guy that tried to say AJ and TO are similar in any way, shape, or form is a f'n douchebag.

My bad for shooting the messenger.