1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

AJ's blunders

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by sdrocks, Nov 30, 2008.

1. sdrocks

sdrocks Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    No I'm not talking about the assurance that Norv will keep his job next year. I don't believe that anyway. I think it was just sending a message to the players that management thinks it's the players fault and not the coaching staff. He underestimated the ability of the players to motivate themselves. I'm sure he thought they were professional enough to motivate themselves.

Anyway, I'm a huge AJ fan but he's not without blame. To me his biggest mistake is not following through on his two deep rule. Some positions are deep but not in the trenches. I don't think McNeill, Diehlman, Hardwick, Goff, and Clary feel competition from the subs. I hope our first three picks are T, G, C. After the Oline we need more depth to push Castillo and Igor and of course we need to have more depth. I like the two deep philosophy but we need to start in the trenches.

His drafts have taken a turn for the worse. He's become Beathardesque trading away future picks. As the team got better he strayed away from Best Available Player in the drafts and started gambling for positions of need. If he stuck to best available player, then we would really have some depth.

and i Know someone will blame him for letting Brees go and for hiring Norv. I put that more on Marty. Marty refused to play Rivers in that final game and Brees got hurt. That put the organization in a bad spot. Do you keep Brees and pay him 12 million when you're not 100% sure how he will bounce back from surgery? If you keep him then who would you let go to balance the cap? If Brees didn't get hurt we could have put one of the other tags on him and at least got a 1st round pick when someone else signed him.

As for Norv, Marty had no choice on letting Cam and Wade go, but he was asked to keep all his other assistants but he let all the key coaches go. Keeping Marty would basically mean a new coaching staff anyway. IMO he wanted to get fired.

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Oct 13, 2006
    I HATE AJ's GUTS!!

3. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2005

Hindsight, let's see if he learns from his mistakes before we roast him.

As far as draft picks go, the only one I can think of is the second rounder to NE. He's NEVER that I know of, traded a #1.

Hardly Beathard-isque

4. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Jan 19, 2008
    ...He also gave Chicago a bit much just to draft an undersized white safety from UTAH. Maybe not Beathard-esque but still very annoying. That 2nd rounder next year is looking like a real nice pick for the Patriots now and A.J's idol (Belichick) is probably :icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl: right about now.