1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

AJ's errors....

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Dublin Bolt, Nov 15, 2006.

1. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +493
    Hi guys... it appears we are all agreed on 1 thing

AJ has done an unbelievable job for this franchise, he has us on the way to being set for 5 years or more, can u spell 'dynasty'?...

but, here goes 'devils advocate' for the craic, thought this might be an interesting thread.

Pick one move/thing AJ has done/not done that u wish he had/hadn't. After all nobodys perfect but AJ is as close to it as u get!!. I'll start you off..

1. Letting Wes Welker go.:icon_huh:

2. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    2. Letting Cleo Lemon go/traded. This move stunned me that Gawd would do this to his disciples. Lemon was impressive in my fan book. I have a few more but this one is tops.

3. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    3. Antonio Gates... inactive week one 2005

4. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +607
    letting Brees walk :icon_eek: :icon_rofl:

(sorry, someone was going to post this anyway)

but seriously, his history drafting in the secondary in not perfect :icon_eek:

5. RayDahayder

RayDahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23
    Miami has a sucky offense and Cleo Lemon hasn't even gotten in a game there..... what makes him so valuable for the chargers?

Unless, of course, you were joking. In that case.......:icon_rofl:

6. RayDahayder

RayDahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23
    Trading down with Pittsburgh(?) and drafting sammy davis when we could have gotten Palamalu.

without doubt, this is the biggest goof. Unless, of course, you want to talk about that future hall of famer, Cleo Lemon, that we let slip through our fingers...... :icon_mrgreen:

7. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +607
    I thought this was the right move, who know how much longer Gates would have held out ? :icon_shrug: this got the negotiations going and Gates signed to a long term deal, plus it showed everybody that you don't mess with AJ

8. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Cleo Lemon had the best arm, the best wheels when he was here. It would have saved us from having to use a draft pick on a QB (Whitey).

Not many fans appreciated Lemon's talents on any of the forums. I think too many get caught up in his name "Lemon" and immediately "tune out and turn off" as simple as that may sound.

I am drop dead serious. :yes: :bolt:

9. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Agreed 100%.

We locked up Gates long term and it cost us one game the way I see it. Thats a small price to pay.

It also sent a shot across the bow of the rest of the asssholes who try to screw with A.J.

10. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,880
    Picks #1, 2b & 3 in the 2003 draft

11. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Give me a break, Trump. If Lemon was all that, why did the Fins even bother to acquire Harrington? And with their season on the line and Harrington crapping the bed, Lemon STILL can't get into a game.

Letting Cleo Lemon go isn't even in the top 5. :no:

PS. Dumping Welker cost us a draft pick too, when we took Sproles.

12. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    I can appreciate it from a business standpoint. And hindsight being 20/20 I thing Ray hit on the biggest blunder... passing on Troy for Sammy.

Didn't Gates sign before gametime week 1? There was just some BS about him not being able to ink the contract like by the hour that AJ had designated. I'm all for frugal spending and players not running the show. But the contract was already done and AG could seriously have won the game for us... We all recall three straight passes into the inzone from like the five yard line against the Cowboys right? AG was unstopable from the goal line last year... A win in the home opener last year could have actually gotten us into the playoffs. It's all in the past and is pretty irrelevant now, but I still say it was a bad move.

13. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    True that! If Lemon can't get over Harrington on the depth chart how good can he really be? Lay off the crack pipe Trumpie. :icon_mrgreen:

14. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    There is no accounting for the Dolphin talent evaluators it would appear?

These are the same guys who took the risk on Culpeppers knee and got Ricky William'd.

Rumors have it Saban wants out so as to not further tarnish his record/image.

There is more to it...... :yes:

15. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    The Rams could not make Manu work and he could not start in the Rams line-up so how good can Manu really be?

The same logic applies but you need good people to see it and have the ability to pull the trigger to make it happen.

Yeah dude - you and TK missed the big time boat on this one. :yes:

16. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Is Manu lighting the world on fire? Sure he had two easy touchdown receptions this week, my dog could have made those catches. Does he even technically start in our lineup?

Did Lemon do anything but hold a clipboard for us? He didn't start here, he hasn't started in Miami. The only time I've seen him play is in the second half of a few preseason games, so what has he done to justify any degree of respect from Charger fans?

17. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Additionally, it would be suicide for any team to not have a vet back-up QB. Very few exceptions exist in the NFL. Denver comes to mind off the top with Cutler (although I do not know who is the 3rd Denver QB .... anyway)...

The Chargers were faced with the same thing. I was not comfortable with a rookie Whitehurst in the two hole although I dig this dude big time. We are/were more than likely playoff bound at the onset and a rookie in the two hole is not good.

We needed a vet (Volek ala Harrington) in the two hole and that is the way it is in the NFL to cover its asss.

Lemon has ZERO starts in the NFL but that does not mean he does not have potential to be a starter. There was nothing in Lemons game which told me he sucked. Nada.

18. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Yes. Manu is lighting the world on fire ... you bet. :yes: :tup:

AJ lools like a genius again trading away our 4th pick in the draft for Manu. :icon_toast:

The pitch and catch earlier in the year where Manu rumbled 30 yards or so was sheer beauty to see a dude that big run that fast and for that yardage. :yes:

His blocking and shifting as H-Back in some formations and as a lead blocker has been devastating. :icon_eek:

19. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I say it's the pick he never made

Marques Colston

ended up in NO just to make that short dude look good!!

:lol:

• Like Like x 1
  20. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Manu IS a devastating blocker but 11 rec for 57 yds through 9 games is not impressive. :no:

And nothing about Manu changes the fact that Cleo Lemon is a clipboard caddy.

21. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,508
    There's nothing interesting about an "AJ's mistakes" thread since that's the predominant topic of every offseason. :tdown:

22. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    :icon_rofl:

Umm, no, the logic is quite different. A valid corollary would be, if we had a backup TE who sucked ***, and Manu couldn't climb over him on the depth chart.

I'll take the upside of a guy like Whitehurst over a 27-year-old dude who's never taken an NFL snap, but that's just me.

23. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,508
    Agreed. Lemon has been third string his whole career. Sure, the guy has physical tools, but so did Akili Smith. If Lemon was so great, he at least would have made backup by now.

24. mapcap55

mapcap55 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +66

Someone once said that Lemon was a poor man's daunte culpeper...

That must be one poor man.:icon_rofl:

25. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +674
    That is more on Gates' agent for not knowing WTF was going on.

26. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I think you are short selling Manu.

The fact Manu has a 2 TD game whereas Gates has ZERO multiple TD games.

The fact Manu is almost dead even with Gates after 9 games for touchdowns should speak volumes as well. Manu has 3 TD's and Gates has 4 TD's.

If anyone would have said Manu would be vitually dead even in TD's with Gates and have a multiple TD game and Gates had none, I suspect anyone would say Manu was indeed lighting it up and you were smoking crack.

The crack pipe is in the other hand it would seem. :yes:

27. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Manu could not climb over anyone on the Rams charts.

The corollary is very applicable. The only difference is we are talking about a TE versus a QB.

The difference is we have the evaluators to put the players in the best position to help the team.

28. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    I wish AJ had traded Donnie for a 4th rounder in the offseason.

29. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54
    We also didn't click on offense until Manu was in there more often than not instead of Lorenzo. Not saying that we should do this all the time, but it's the truth.

30. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Akili Smith did not make good decisions.

For starters, Lemon has gotten caught up in AJ wanting more draft picks. That starts the snowball of "well Lemon did not make it in San Diego"

Second, the Dolphins needed a vet back up just the same way we did with Volek. Both had playoff aspirations early on so teams protect themselves just like we did even though we have a stud in Whitey.

Lemon has gotten caught up in caca perception and fan cliche of "he would have been a starter by now" when you do not look at the big picture.

Brett Favre should have been a starter in retrospect as well but he was traded to Green Bay so early on the same sentiments and parallels. No - Lemon is not Brett Favre but the same reasoning applies. Whoever let Favre go is now hating life (Atlanta ? I forget) anyway .......