1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Akers’ personal issue was six-year-old daughter’s cancer scare

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, Jan 30, 2011.

1. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Akers’ personal issue was six-year-old daughter’s cancer scare

Posted by Mike Florio on January 30, 2011, 9:24 AM EST

After Eagles kicker David Akers missed a pair of field goals in a wild-card playoff loss to the Packers, teammate Quintin Mikell said that Akers was distracted by a personal issue. Akers’ agent downplayed the issue, saying that it was “nothing major” and that Akers wasn’t using it as an excuse for his errant kicks.

As it turns out, it was something major. Akers and his family were waiting to learn whether his six-year-old daughter, Halley, has cancer, according to Ashley Fox of the Philadelphia Inquirer.

Two days before the game, the Eagles excused Akers from practice as doctors conducted a two-hour MRI and then an ultrasound exam on Halley. Doctors said that Halley had a growth on an ovary, and that it possibly was malignant. On Monday, the day after the playoff game, the family and doctors would reconvene to discuss surgical options.

“They used the word tumor or cyst or growth,” Akers told Fox. “And you’re like, ‘OK, what does that mean?’ Cancer is what that means. . . . You just think about your little girl. I think for me as a father it was harder than for her mother, because you think of her as ‘Daddy’s little girl.’”

Akers played with those worries on his mind.

“In this position, no matter what, you have to be able to put [your personal life] aside for those few hours and go do your job,” Akers said. “There are so many people depending on you, other players who have put everything in, the coaches, the fans. . . .

“I feel like I can play through anything, but I didn’t play well enough, so maybe that had something to do with it.”

Akers’ wife, Erika, knew that it was affecting him. (Really, how couldn’t it?) “I could tell he was there doing his job,” Erika said. “But he wasn’t there.”

The news makes even more surprising — and disappointing — the decision of coach Andy Reid to cast blame on Akers for missing two field goals during the eight-point defeat. “We can all count,” Reid said. “Those points would have helped.”

Reid should have also blamed himself. He knew what Akers was going through. Reid could have signed another kicker for the game. At a minimum, Reid should have opted against kicking a field goal when down by 11 points early in the fourth quarter and facing fourth and one from the Green Bay 16.

Halley Akers later was diagnosed with cancer, but doctors believe that the surgery successfully removed all of it. She left the hospital once day after the surgery, and she’s doing well.

But it’s fairly safe to say that Akers won’t be back with the Eagles. His contract is up, and there have been no talks regarding an extension. Given the head coach’s post-game comments, it’s hard to imagine Akers wanting to play for Reid again.

Akers likely won’t be out of work for long. The other 31 teams should look at the Pro Bowlers’ ability to even take the field and not collapse to his knees while in the middle of an unthinkably stressful time as proof that he’s the consummate professional.

Akers’ personal issue was six-year-old daughter’s cancer scare | ProFootballTalk

2. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Now that is a real reason to miss a FG.

3. Old School SD Fan

Old School SD Fan Unhappy Camper

Ratings:
    +13
    Memo to Tweety.

4. SDKCFAN

SDKCFAN BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    Yes, we know how much Reid cares about his own family since both his boys are in prison and he could only step down from coaching a couple of months. So I guess Reid's thinking was-what's a little cancer I've got two boys in prison!

5. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    Except cancer is terminal prision rarely is, and it won't be in the case of his kids.

In addition you don't choose cancer, his boys earned their jail time.

6. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    Reid is a douche bag, imo.

7. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    they are using that as an excuse. Ed Reed of the Ravens played a great game when they were looking for his brother.

I had Squamous cell skin cancer and I keep going. If it effected him that bad, why didnt they sign someone else?

8. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Spoken like someone without children.

9. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    I have 2, and 4 step children that makes 6

10. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    6.. That explains it. :D

No I can't blame him for the misses but I can blame Reid for not realizing that this could be an issue. That is a heavy burden to carry.

11. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    BUT...

they are professionals and they get paid good money. To use that as an excuse IMO is a reach. His kid has cancer, I am sorry to hear that, but its not the first kid and it wont be the last. A good friend of mine had his 18 year old son have a heart attack. Life happens to each and everyone of us. My mother just passed away this January 6th, a huge Chargers fan. But life goes on, we must keep going.

12. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    When children are affected it hurts everyone a little bit. As a father, I couldn't fathom losing one of my children before me even in a combat zone it would still be very tough. Awaiting the diagnosis can be just as hard as the results, blame him no but he still could have done his job, he did choose to play. Reid on the other hand deserves all the negative criticism that can be heaped upon him, just a piece of garbage in my mind.

13. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Can we sign him?

14. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    try having a son in Iraq for 15 months wearing a US Army Uniform. They flew him to a lot of different FOB's, but when his mission was complete they brought him back via a truck convoy. One time the convoy hit an IUD.

I would rather deal with cancer. Cancer is curable, having a son in many pieces is not

15. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    Cancer is not really CURABLE.

Read up on it some instead of making stupid remarks.

Let me go over a few things.

Cancer is only cureable if you catch it early. Those who catch it late have a very low survival rate. Even when they "cure" you not only does it stand a chance to return in a couple of years usually you go through chemo therapy one of the most painful experiences ever. If later stages you can feel cancer grow in you and the pain, from both the cancer and medication is so much that they have to give you drugs stronger than morphine. Basically you live off painkillers.

In best cases you suffer intense treatement for a year, have thousands of dollars of medical bills, and emotional distress during the entire time.

In regards to the military there are a few things that set it apart.

Your son VOULENTEERED to be in the miltary.
    He gets PAID to serve there.
    He gets TONS of benefits to be in the military.

In addition the survival rate is VERY HIGH for soldiers in Iraq.

"The ratio of deaths to person-years lived, .00392 or 3.92 per 1000, is the death
    rate of military personnel in Iraq. Thus, the chance of death is approximately one in 255
    per year. How does this death rate compare to those in other populations? One obvious
    comparison is to the civilian population of the United States, a standard with which many
    are familiar. The death rate of the civilian population of the United States in 2003 was
    8.42 per 1000 (National Center for Health Statistics, 2006a). Thus, the annual risk of
    death for a member of the military in Iraq is less than half of that for a randomly-chosen
    American citizen."

You were worried about your son, that is fine. You should be more worried about him driving home from work, because he is more likely to die doing that than fighting in Iraq.

There is NO comparision to emotional suffering for having someone serve in a war than someone who has cancer. Now if your son gets injured and has only a 45% chance of surviving than you might have soemthing to compare to.

16. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    so you are saying the cancer I HAD and went through radiation treatment, is not gone?

Stupid remarks?

Funny I had to go back to my doctor every month for a year to make sure they CURED my cancer.

Stupid remarks?

What kind of stupid remark did I make?

I went trough radition treatment. How is that stupid?

17. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    in regards to the Military, did you join?

I