1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Al Davis says Campbell Reminds him of Plunkett

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by RM24, Aug 11, 2010.

1. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp10/news/story?id=5454583

The Oakland Raiders have endured seven straight seasons of 10 or more losses. Owner Al Davis, however, said Tuesday in a rare radio interview that he believes the 2010 team will end that slump.

Al Davis excited by 2010 Raiders

Clayton: Raiders Camp Confidential

"I really liken this team a great deal to the team of 1980, in which the great Jim Plunkett pulled us out of the doldrums, took us to the Super Bowl as a wild card, and we had so many great players who eventually made their way into the Hall of Fame," Davis said in an interview with Sirius NFL Radio. :icon_eek:

He said he sees some Plunkett in Jason Campbell, his new starting quarterback.

"I see this young Jason Campbell as a football player like I saw Jim Plunkett. He has everything. He was 13-0 in college, at Auburn, he can throw up the field, he can run, he's big, he's smart," Davis said. "I really predict great things for him. I hope he doesn't let me down. I don't think he will."

Plunkett led the Raiders to two Super Bowl victories and was named the Super Bowl MVP in 1980.

Campbell, acquired in a trade with the Washington Redskins in the offseason, started 52 games for Washington since being a first-round pick in 2005. He has thrown for 55 touchdowns, 38 interceptions and has a passer rating of 82.3 in his career.

He is coming off his best season, completing 64.5 percent of his passes with 20 touchdowns, 15 interceptions and a passer rating of 86.4. But the Redskins went 4-12 last season.

Davis specifically mentioned new offensive coordinator Hue Jackson as another reason he believes the Raiders will turn things around this season.

Jackson helped Joe Flacco make it to the playoffs in his first two seasons in the NFL with the Ravens and also worked with Carson Palmer as the offensive coordinator at USC.

"We have a bright new young offensive coordinator in Hue Jackson, and I just have great hopes for this young team," Davis said. "It's a very young team, but I do have hopes for it."

2. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    foolishness... :lol:

3. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Everyone knows Al has been dead since before this year's draft. Otherwise they would not have taken McClain... and cut Jamarcus.

Nice try though.

I wonder where they keep him?

4. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
  5. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
  6. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
  7. D4L

D4L BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +17
    Only if thier OL resembles the one Plunkett had and they have Marcus Allen in the backfield. Campell will just end up being a smaller version of Russell. Half the size of Russell.

8. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    Campbell reminds Crazy Al of Plunkett...OK, let's see:
    Carbon - based life form.....check
    Bipedal .....check
    Has a pulse.....check
    Wears the silver and blech....check

I guess he is on to something (...or on something!) here.

• Like Like x 1
  9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    No pressure there Campbell, sure you've never amounted to anything but now your expected to be as good as one of the raider elite
    have fun

10. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Al Davis says porridge reminds him of filet mignon.

11. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280