1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Al michaels to the NFL Network?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by sdbound, May 1, 2008.

1. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/watchdog/blog/2008/05/is_al_michaels_a_candidate_for.html

Is Al Michaels a candidate for the NFL Network job?

In my Tuesday newspaper column I mentioned that Tom Hammond is no lock for the NFL Network play-by-play gig, and that the network might be looking for a bigger-name splash.

Well . . . I am told by a reliable spy that one name on the wish list for the job is as big a name as it gets in play-by-play: Al Michaels, who would have to add the Thursday night games to his existing NBC slate.

That would be interesting. It also would be a little depressing for Hammond, who had hoped to get the Sunday night job on NBC before Michaels defected from ESPN/ABC.

Michaels would be fine. So would Hammond.

But if you're the NFL Network why not go after a quality younger announcer and groom him/her as your own play-by-play voice?

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/

Now that NFL Network is done with the two-year experiment of Bryant Gumbel as play-by-play man, where will the league's official cable channel turn?

Neil Best of Newsday reports that the NFL could be looking to add a huge name: Al Michaels.

Michaels, who for three decades has been among America's best-known play-by-play voices, would lend instant credibility to NFL Network, which has struggled to find an audience. If the league could get Michaels, it would be thrilled.

But could the league get him? It would be a tough schedule for Michaels, who would have to do double duty for seven weeks, working NFL Network Thursday and NBC Sunday. And Michaels isn't crazy about working on cable TV -- especially cable TV that not every cable subscriber gets.

Still, if the NFL is willing to fork over enough dough -- maybe $500,000 a game or so? -- I could see this happening.

2. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    Michaels is great. I hate Colinsworth, but the two of them would work well together.

3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I relly like michaels, I like Collinsorth but not as much.

4. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Yeah, Al Michaels is pretty good. Collinsworth, as already said, isn't that good.

Imagine Randy Cross and Chris Collinsworth together. :icon_eek:

5. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,583
    Something tells me it won't be Michaels. NBC tends to hold on tight to their people. Hammond is a great, no nonsense commentator. Michaels knows the game better, but I doubt it'll be him.

6. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Yeah, Tom Hammond does well at the college level. However, isn't he also on NBC? I remember he's been doing the Notre Dame home games on NBC with Pat Haden for the past several years.

7. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Collinsworth is awful .. I say Nay ..

8. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Anyone other than that clown Gumbel is fine with me.

9. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    QFT

10. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,583
    Yes, he's still doing the ND games. When NBC had the Arena League, he called those games too.

But Hammond isn't full time at NBC. He did call one game last season when Gumbel was out sick.

11. ChargerJeff

ChargerJeff Boltaholic

Ratings:
    +352

Well said!

12. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I don't know, but I for one am tired of this incestuous talking head, announcing gene pool. I am mortally tired of the same faces and the same BS. Not many people will agree, but I want some personalities like Dan Meredith, Alex Karras and even Ted Leitner. Dennis was a disaster, Rome is on an ego trip. I'll take Al Michaels, if they'll give me a guy who might, given the right circumstances, puke on his shoes.

13. Prito James

Prito James BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +13
    I vote for Dierdorf and Cross they would be awesome!:tup: