1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Albert Haynesworth trade in the works?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Enormo, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Redskins Insider - Albert Haynesworth trade in the works? Also on ESPN.

VJ for the big guy? 'Prolly not. Expensive and unmotivated. At least VJ showed no sign of hitting the brakes. I don't blame Haynesworth though... Shannarat seems like a total ***-bite.

2. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    I do blame Haynesworth.

The guy was paid 100 million to do a job and then whined like a child because he didn't like the task they gave him.

3. Chavez

Chavez Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    Haynesworth wants out of Washington because he doesn't want to play in a 3-4

4. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    This dude is a cancer. Let them trade him to Oakland.

5. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    But he still wants to keep his millions.

6. markrc99

markrc99 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    I really wish they'd get him to green light his game, the practice stuff isn't anything I'd pay too much attention to. He came in looking much better and if he wants to disrupt and force stuff wide, he's more than capable. If I'm the Chargers, the answer would be no unless you know he wants it.

7. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I am pretty sure it is because he doesn't want to play NT in a 3-4, but I could be wrong

8. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +90
    Didn't he say publically that he doesn't want to play NT in a 3-4?

Would he play the END in a 3-4 thou??? He would have more opportunities to get to the quarterback, which is what he wants (more Sacks). He could be a sack master on our DL with Garay and Thomas playing the nose!

He is super fast for a big guy...opp OL's would have their work cut out trying to double team Haynesworth on the outside whilst still trying to double team Thomas or Garay inside!! That leaves alot of Chargers open to get sacks! hahahah lol

9. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    I agree with ya Leo, for 100 mill I don't give a %$#$ what you're asked to do you DO IT.

10. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    I can't see AJ trading one headache for another. Particularly when there's very little stopping Haynesworth (who will have already made the meat of the contract he signed last year) from pulling a Vincent Jackson and holding out for another new deal "because this wasn't the team he agreed to sign with" or for some other lame reason. We already know he has a penchant for sitting himself when he doesn't get what he wants. And quite frankly, the guy showed flashes last year (he really did more opening other players up than he did actually producing himself) but he really hasn't been all that "dominant" Top 5 interior pass rusher except in contract years.

11. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    I agree with most of the above comments. A dominant Nose Tackle is the most important piece of a 3/4 defense. That's why they gave that fat slob 100 mill......not for him to go through the motions as a DE. The job of the NT is grinding and punishing on your body. You need to be a big bad mofo to control 2-3 interior linemen and own the LOS for your team. Obviously this guy has no desire to do that. I'm sure he sold himself to the Redskins as being willing to do whatever if they just showed him the money. Once he got it, he decided to just throw it into neutral and was all about himself. Happens too often with these fat cats who really only play the game because they want to get paid and don't really have much love for it or the competition otherwise. The guy stepped it up for a couple of years JUST to get that pay day. He's done.

No way to I want that fat slob POS on my San Diego Chargers team. He is the ultimate me-only player and a total cancer. He would be a great fit in Oakland.

12. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    No. No. No. No.

13. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    Lol, people seriously want him in SD?

14. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +90
    I am more inclined to cut the guy some slack (too a point as it has kinda got out of control through his own actions).

He went to Washington to play in a 4-3 defence for which he is ideally suited...that all changes after he gets a big contract extension...he is very open about the fact the he doesn't want to play in a 3-4 defence as the nose tackle despite everyone thinking he would be great at it! For whatever reason he doesn't want to play 3-4 Nose...maybe he is thinking about is own longivity in the game...I dunno.

Even thou I believe at some point he has to suck it up and do what is required...I still think he has a right to feel a bit pissed that the rug was pulled out from under him a little by the change in Defence.

15. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    When they brought him in, and when he agreed to sign there, they were running a 4-3. They then moved to a 3-4 and told he he had to play NT which is the one position he didn't want to play. He wants to be a guy who is attacking the ball carrier rather than just a guy occupying blocks.

If I was the Chargers, I would at least talk to Wash about the possibility of a trade. If it is a go, then talk to the guy and make sure he is cool coming to SD and playing 3-4 DE. If he isn't cool with it, walk away. If he is, work with VJ to make the deal work. Both teams would benefit from such a deal

16. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
  17. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    From a redskins board i saw, apparently they are trying to trade him to the titans for a couple of picks, which they would use to trade for VJ. They said that they were the team that VJ had agreed to a contract with

18. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Good, lets get it done

19. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    find another cam thomas type or two of them in next years draft. Nice to have your 3 down lineman all 6'4" and 330 and athletic. Seriously. I hope we do find another cam thomas type next draft. YOu can't be big enough and athletic enough on your d-line. Makes the rest of the defense alot more solid.

20. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I am still holding out hope that Martin can turn into a solid 3 down player in another year or 2

21. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    He's getting paid 9 digits.

For 9 digits he should be willing to play cornerback if they asked him to.

22. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I agree. I was just replying to the comment "A dominant Nose Tackle is the most important piece of a 3/4 defense. That's why they gave that fat slob 100 mill" and saying that is not what he was brought in to be because they were not playing 3-4 when he was brought in

23. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    All relevant, perhaps, but so is the fact that Shanny and Haslett were hired well before Albert was due his ginormous 2010 bonus, as was it extremely common knowledge (even before the Skins signed him) that Shanny wanted to implement the 3-4 wherever he signed on (he was saying this last year, back when he was "observing" Steelers camp to gain insight on the system). Albert sure didn't seem to have any problem collecting that bonus money. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that if a team has paid you that much money they're going to expect you to earn it; they're not just paying for the great honor of listing his name in the gameday program. If he wanted that badly to not play in a 3-4, then h could have very easily facilitated a trade by restructuring his contract and minimizing the money the Skins were on the hook to him for (something just as simple as making it a roster bonus due in August versus signing bonus would have sufficed) and while he wouldn't have fetched a huge return for the Skins, he would have at least been doing his part to make himself more "trade-able".

Instead he chose to exercise his right to see his contract through as it was written and collected his check, but at that point he needs to assume the responsibilities of that contract as well. Haynesworth wants to have his cake and eat it too (not all that uncommon for athletes in this league, he's just more publicized and vocal about it), but that's not an altogether common occurrence unless you're someone like Peyton Manning or Tom Brady.

Simply put, from my point of view, he's a player who doesn't buy in unless he dictates the philosophy, that's not someone I want on my team no matter how big, how strong, or how talented. He's shown in the past that if he's not satisfied that he'll play, but he'll slack and pout and half-*** his effort.

24. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Um... i think most people have been saying they *don't* want him in SD.

25. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    You think any player in any league is going to turn down a bonus? Really?

26. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    If it takes him out of a situation he doesn't want to be in, then yes. I think it's plausible (since you bring up ANY league, this situation with taking less of a guaranteed bonus to facilitate going to a more favorable playing situation is in the same vein as accepting a contract buyout for a player on an NBA team). And if it's not, then players need to grasp the fact that they're subject to change the same way that anyone else in the organization is. Guys like Haynesworth want guarantees on their money then they need to give up something in return (business is quid pro quo), that being the acceptance that they are a player, a cog (albeit a big cog) and that the manner in which they're used can change from any one given year to the next. He's a player, not the coach and not the owner.

27. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +90
    The guy has made some bone head decisions during this whole drama, thats for sure, I wont deny that, but I can at least understand his feelings regarding playing the role that is being asked of him.

The redskins would have brought alot of this on themselves as surely they would have talked to him and very early on while the decision was still being made regarding switching to a 3-4 to let him know what was going to be expected of him and sound him out over it...he would have told them then that he had nno intention of playing the nose in the 3-4 and yet they still tried to implemement it! Stupid really

Why is Shannahan so hell-bent on implememnting a 3-4 in Washington...he had 4-3 at Denver and he had the personel at Washington for 4-3 again..why the big change???

28. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +90
    The guy is obviously greedy or an idiot!

Still one of (if not THE) most dominating Defensive Lineman around at th mo.

29. markrc99

markrc99 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    The NFL Network just reported that Bruce Allen denied all rumors involving Albert Haynesworth. :icon_rofl: If Washington has a way to use Haynesworth as the key bargaining chip to pry Jackson loose, they should do it. The Titans, Jeff Fisher appears confident he can get Haynesworth playing his best. If I'm Bruce Allen I'm telling the Chargers and the Titans we'll throw Haynesworth, his 2010 salary and a 5th rd pick into the kitty. In return, the rights to Vincent Jackson. Then it would be down to Tennessee trading the key draft choice to San Diego. I have not read that the Redskins were the team that had worked a deal with Jackson, but I did read that the team was a contender in the NFC.

30. markrc99

markrc99 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    Yesterday Jason La Canfora was asked about Vincent Jackson. He said he didn't expect Jackson to play for the Chargers this year. I also believe this is the position of the team. The Redskins and Titans aren't too far apart determining compensation for Haynesworth.

"The Titans and Redskins initially discussed a Haynesworth trade in April during the NFL Draft, with the Titans offering a fourth-round pick," the paper reports. This next round of conversations started this past weekend, according to the paper. However, now the Redskins want "at least a second-round pick, and the Titans aren't willing to go that high," the Tennessean reports." Haynesworth returning to Titans? - Scoop Du Jour - NFL* - Yahoo! Sports

The Redskins have zero leverage with Albert Haynesworth, though his ability is clearly recognized.. The Titans would like to get him back, McNabb has come out in support of him. The Redskins and Titans need to try to meet in the middle, a 3rd rd pick. But this, along with a 5th rd draft choice, has to be acceptable to AJ Smith. We know the "mystery team" offered multiple selections, so this may have already been proposed.

One intangible that could turn this is the play of Albert Haynesworth. Shanahan should go to Haynesworth and tell him straight, you want to be moved and we're trying to do just that. However, we're not going to just release you. Moving you is directly linked to acquiring the player we want. If you're interested in playing for Jeff Fisher again, the surest and fastest way to make that happen is to play lights out this Sunday night.

Fisher is saying his DL is set. It's been rumored the Redskins will deactivate Haynesworth, I suspect he'll suit up and even play, but I highly doubt he'll be effective. If the Titans interest never moves from a 4th rd pick, yet, it is the Redskins who are the front runner to sign Jackson, AJ Smith may have the choice of a package that includes 4th & 5th rd draft picks, or he can have nothing. His other so-called option is to sit Jackson all year and then franchise him next year, which is absolutely ludicrous.