1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

ALEX SPANOS GETS HIS REVENGE ?????

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Trumpet_Man, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Alex Spanos has never forgotten the welcome he got when announced as the new owner of the Chargers.

If you remember the Coryell era was ending and fans were not happy with the house cleaning.

Now Alex has the team for sale which will most likely happen before the end of this year.

Alex Spanos is enjoying your pain.

The Raiders just swept the Chargers.

Do you think the billionaire is enjoying sticking it back to the fans as payback on his way out ?

2. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
  3. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    Alex Spanos can go f himself.

4. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Does Alex remember anything now day's??? Got to feel bad for him and his family can't be a very pleasant ordeal to go through.

5. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    WOW

You must like to hear yourself talk, because you sure do a lot of.

When we needed fans in the stands, the pussies stayed home!

6. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Alex Spanos is saying thank you for allowing him to laugh while he not only shrunk the Bolt payroll to the bottom 1/3 of the league, he says FU on the way out.

Raider sweep.

I have to believe Alex Spanos is saying F-the fans and he is happy we are in pain. Payback. Alex will pocket $300 million in a sale while fans lick their wounds.

The billionaie wins even when he is fitted with a drool cup.

7. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Alex probably doesn't even know his own name right now, nor that he owns the Charger's. Now Deano may be dancing a jig but I doubt Alex is able to.

8. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I gotta throw a bull shiit flag here. When Alex bought the Bolts he didn't buy it with the intention of running it in the ground and screw the fans.

Tony, you're a little over the top here.

Now, I'll give you that the current management wants to move them but don't put it all on the old guy

9. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    How do you feel being played for a pussy is the question.

When the team is finally sold, I saved two years seasson ticket money instead of getting fuc't out of it.

How will you feel paying full boat for season tickets to the end when your mistress the Chargers is sucking dik in Los Angeles ?

Will you pat yourself on the back paying all that money to the end only to be made a fool of with your money ?

You think this team has a chance to be bought by some local billionaire and will stay. Wake the fuc up. This is the only reason you can use to justify spending money to the end. Some fans will spend to the end no matter. More power to them.

I will not be played for an idiot with my money and that is the way I see it.

Why be loyal to someone who is not loyal to me?

You said it.

Practice what you preach.

10. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Oh False Prophet... you're starting to become as delusional as 1 Cool Guy.

The newsbytes (which are still being contested from the Chargers end, IIRC) have Spanos selling a minority share; his kids still collectively own the majority stake in the team. And considering that all signs point to John Spanos (I think he's Michael's son, but he might be Dean's) being groomed as the guy that's going to take over for AJ when his contract expires (yes, his contract is actually up fairly soon and given his age, I really don't see him seeking an extension).

The Spanos family is still invested in this franchise for the long haul, so you're pretty much talking out your backside.

You also seem to have an affinity for ignoring facts. You know, those things that point out that this Charger team has spent and been right up against the full amount allowed by the salary cap much of the last decade. This season, there's no salary cap... but one season does not a habit make. And this is a season where we still handed out two Top 10 positional (one of them Top 2 positional) extensions. But yes... this is the epitome of skinflint ownership. Wait a couple weeks till we play Cincinnati. you want to see an owner who would sooner see his team lose than part with his coveted dollar signs, that's Mike Brown.

11. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I am not say running it into the ground. The old man is snickering. It is payback. If you would have been here for the game the old man was introduced, you would know what I mean

R8hater says he was there for the oldmans introduction as new owner and it was UGLY.

If I were Spanos, i would be LAUGHING my as.s off. The fans literally threw trash and beer at his booth when he was introduced.

12. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58

13. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    wow dude, way to knock on out of the park

solid

14. JohnnyX

Ratings:
    +378
    This is why were called fair weather fans. Unbelievable.

15. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    you're kidding right? He got booed because Gene ran the damn team into the ground so he could sell it. Spanos took the blame because we all thought he was the one holding a gun to Gene's head

come on T, I don't want to re-live that

16. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    you got it all wrong.

17. JohnnyX

Ratings:
    +378
    How? Disagree with he's moves, rant about him, but go and throw beers at him? Bit off the scale there.

18. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    LBC -

Many fans seem to think the Spanos kids have a MAJORITY ownership.

Do you realize this is flawed thinking ?

For starters, the Spanos kids can not pool their interests. This forms a holding company which is illegal in the NFL. Each kids owns 15% for 60%.

Alex owns 36%

Pernicano owns 3% and 1% by another dude I forget his name.

An owner can have a controlling interest in a team with as little as 10%. This is a rule not many fans are familiar. Google it. Trust me.

Fans seem to think 60% owership by 15% portions would rule the team. WRONG.

Alex's 36% will be the controlling interest block UNLESS the TWO kids sell to ONE kid. Two kids selling effectively to one kid increases a controlling share to 45%.

Adjust your thinking because the new owner will control this team. None of the Spanos kids has the clout from my reads to sell and consolidate a power base to control this team. Dean has shown little interests using Fabiani to keep the media at bay while he jet sets.

A common misconception exists with the fans thinking and using the Spanos kids 60% ownership constituting a single controlling interest. In the stock market your logic would apply but this is not the stock market.

19. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    True, off the charts. But we we so damn close those last years. If there has never ever been a time that I was more disappointed in my team.

You had to be there

20. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Not really

LBC is assuming the Spanos kids have a controlling interest after a sale.
    Man oh man that is way way wrong. Fans will use that error as security blanket thinking if the Spnaos kids are n control, we are safe.

Wrong wrong wrong.

I can post articles supporting what I am saying. Do not use the error of the kids being in control after a sale. jesus that is massively wrong to think.

21. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    The new owner will have 36% ownership. The 15% shares owned by Spanos kids will have to suck the tip of the new owner.

Just ask Pernicano. He has to suck the tip of the majority owner. He has no say so or very little. He is a pain in Alex's rear and is not even respected from my reads.

22. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    The kids may not own a majority share, post sale, but there's still validity to my post that the Spanos family is committed to this team for the long haul.

The family may not be committed to the city of San Diego, I'll openly admit and recognize that. And would it suck for the Chargers to relocate to Los Angeles? Yes, I can tell you first hand as a former fan of a team that did all the things that you're "convinced" Alex is doing (Her name is Georgia Fontiere, may she rot in hell!); it sucks. For me personally, I live in LA. I'll continued to support the team and likely continue to only be able to attend at best one to two games per year because ticket prices are just out of control in California in general right now (a new stadium means that you can kiss $50 nosebleed seats goodbye and they'll become $75 nosebleed seats).

But it's absurd business to think that, at a time when he's "supposedly" trying to sell his product (that 36%... and that's assuming he sells all 36% which may not be the case; he could just as easily sell 8-12% for the proposed "estate planning purposes" and bequeath the remaining 24-28% - which would still itself be the controlling share - equally among the kids or to Faye), that he would purposefully devalue said product, and snicker about doing so while he's doing it (and effectively costing himself and his family money).

23. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    I don't blame Alex Spanos for this except in agreeing to hire Norv Turner, the rest is on the players and coaches

24. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    LBC -

Goldman Sach has 36% of the team for sale and not 8-12% or whatever numbers you would like to use.

There is something called "bait and switch" in business and this is what you are somewhat proposing.

Of course Alex can change his inceasingly demetia ridden mind to whatever percentages he choses but this is not how business is done at this level.

The 36% Goldman Sach offer was well thought out by Alex's personal financial consultants BEFORE Goldman Sachs was even approached. This just stands to reason.

If Alex did not need the money, then why not will it to the kids as you suggest?

This opens further speculation that if Alex needs the money now for estate taxes, how would a stadium funded by Spanos play out ? I do not get that warm and fuzzy Alex could have actually contributed much if anything to a stadium deal given he needs estate planning funds.

25. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    [​IMG]

PHOTO OF ALEX SPANOS

AFTER THE RAIDER LOSS .... HE IS SMILING AT YOU

26. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Don't you ever get tired of being wrong?

All you are doing is losing the respect of more and more people and being divisive and driving people away from bolt talk. Get over yourself.

27. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    So the man took a bath on the real estate market (it's no secret that his business is investment realty), is now in a state financially where in order to pay his estate taxes he has to liquidate his 36% of his franchise... and you think that he's somehow getting "revenge" and having a good ol' snicker at the expense of fans who threw beer at him so many years ago?

If he were cheaping out the team, the way you believe he is, then why even give extensions to guys like Gates and McNeill? Gates, perhaps, because he's arguably the best TE in the game today and having him on board long-term raises the earning potential of this team (if nothing else through merch and licensing), but why McNiell? Why shell out $8 million to Darren Sproles?

And with the way that so many people want Norv, AJ, and company gone, then - I pose this question - why would a change in controlling stake of ownership be such a terrible thing?

28. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Like Wrbanwl said, you really had to be there to understand.

It was the end of an killer era of Bolt football in which we knew was coming to an end. New owners clean house. If I remember correctly, it was Spanos who got rid of Coryell and Fouts. Hell I do not remember exactly who got canned from Air Coryell but the timing was bad and we took it out on the new owner. In retrospect, it was not fair what we did and I say "we" because I participated.

This is why I can see the old man laughing all the way to the bank knowing the team will be sold in days and laughing at the fans for their pain losing to the Raiders twice this year. If I were Alex, I would be saying "it serves everyone right to be in the same pain we inflicted to him that day" and then head on out of dodge.

The billionaire gets the last laugh and how many people paid full boat to the very end ? Not me.

29. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    And let's not forget we sucked for a long time after Spanos bought the team, had a few good years, sucked again, had a few good years, and never ever once delivered....

30. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    The Chargers have been traditionally against the cap as you posted. Agreed. The team has never been "cheap" however; this year a salary floor has suddenly emerged which has everyone talking. The Chargers are at the bottom 1/3 in salary this year for a reason. I am not saying it is "cheapism" and quite the contrary. The reason expenses are cut on a balance sheet (this years salary cap) is to make the purchase of the team more attractive. That is good business practice. I fault no businessman for doing this.

Understand the revenge thing I refer to is limited to the fan pain for this year only coupled with what we did when Alex was introduced as the new owner. This is only natural to feel little something of a payback feeling to the fans for disrespecting him - hell we threw beer at him. I boo'd and did not throw anything but others let loose on his azzz.