1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Alexander has 2nd ACL surgery

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,452
    Say goodbye to a player who flashed brilliance, but could never stay healthy...

Bolts' Alexander had 2nd ACL surgery

By Michael Gehlken
    8 P.M.FEB. 6, 2014

Danario Alexander devoted months to knee rehab, working to return from an August injury as soon as possible.

It won't happen as soon as first hoped.

The Chargers wide receiver recently underwent additional surgery to repair the right knee injury that ended his 2013 season, sources said. The revision ACL surgery, performed in January as a follow-up to the primary reconstruction done in August, delays the original timetable for the impending free agent's return to football activities.

It also complicates whether he'll remain in San Diego next season, the chances appearing unlikely.

On March 11, Alexander will become an unrestricted free agent. He may be unavailable for the July start of training camp.

Medical issues are the one concern for a young, dynamic playmaker.

Alexander, as a midseason signing, was fantastic in 2012 for the Chargers. He caught 37 passes for 658 yards and seven touchdowns in the final nine games, all team highs in that span. He then was their most impressive receiver last offseason before bad luck on Aug. 6, the morning before his 25th birthday.

Alexander suffered an anterior cruciate ligament tear while running a route during a one-on-one drill. Nine days later, he had reconstructive surgery. Dr. James Andrews, who performed safety Brandon Taylor and linebacker Melvin Ingram's ACL reconstructions earlier in 2013, did the operation at his institute in Gulf Breeze, Fla.

When rehabbing, Alexander remained an active teammate.

The fourth-year veteran stayed in San Diego. He attended meetings and went on road trips.

This second surgery sets him back, but he is working to play in the 2014 season, sources said.

January's surgery was the second to Alexander's right knee. He's had five operations, which varied in invasivness, to his left. Moving forward, his status is one question mark for the Chargers' wide receiver corps.

Tenth-year veteran Malcom Floyd suffered a neck injury last September in Philadelphia. It ended his season and could possibly his career, although the latter has yet to be medically determined. Floyd, under contract for two more seasons, has said he hopes to continue playing. His physical ability to do so will become more clear in the coming weeks.

The Chargers also have a decision to make on Eddie Royal. He had 47 catches for 631 yards and a career-high eight touchdowns last season, but they would save $4.5 million in cap space with his release.

Keenan Allen and Vincent Brown are set to return in 2014.

2. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings:
    +275
    Can't help but feel bad for the guy. Has so much talent, really everything you'd want in a Wide Receiver, just his knees keep failing him.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +633
    I'd still take a flier at the vet minimum..

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,762
    Just give him an invite to camp and go from there. It sure is a drag to see the kid go through all of this, it would be nice if he was able to get a few good years in with the Bolts.

• Like Like x 1
  5. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    He won't make it to camp.. But its probably a blessing for us if he doesn't.. I'm pretty sure all of his NFL injuries have occurred in camp.. So if he can rehab and start a rigorous workout in July-August, and be ready for a mid-September, early October return, we could see what we got 2 years with him.

6. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,205
    He had all the talent...

7. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    And my great-uncle's knees.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +498
    At the end of their professional football careers, will Alexander have more knee surgeries
    than Rivers has kids? They are currently tied, if I'm not mistaken with 7 apiece.
    My money is on Rivers beating out Alexander narrowly....9 to 8.

9. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,626
    Thanks Obama.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +294
    Damn So at best Dax could play NFL ball by Sept. I sure would love to keep a spot on the roster for him, but I would also love to keep Eddie, KA and VB, AND I hope Malcolm can have enuff health to at least get another year to try his hand at gettin to a SB.

Gonna be tough, cuz I love new blood at WR. This kinda sucks knowing that realistically M-80 or Eddie will probably be lost.

11. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +294
    I guess if we keep Tutu around, the loss of either wont be so hard.

12. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,452
    More knee problems for Danario Alexander
    Posted by Darin Gantt on February 19, 2014, 12:05 PM EST

When he’s been well, Danario Alexander has been a promising wide receiver.

That hasn’t been often enough, and it might not be the case for some time.

According to Alex Marvez of FOX Sports, Alexander has required multiple surgeries on his right knee because of an infection, which could put his status for 2014 in doubt.

The Chargers weren’t expected to bring him back after a second ACL reconstruction in January, the latest in a long line of knee problems (five surgeries on his left knee before he entered the league).

But he needed a follow-up surgery and antibiotics to clear up the latest problem, which created some doubt as to when he might be ready to play.

13. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    Unbelievable..

14. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    Geez…that's horrible…well, keep him far away from the 'Ol Yeller' farm...

15. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +316
    Seven surgeries makes my wonder why the F**k this guy would ever want to step onto the field again. All that dough isn't worth squat if you're limping and dealing with chronic pain the rest of your life. Priorities, man!

• Like Like x 1
  16. SDChargers1982

SDChargers1982 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Any news about Danario Alexander?

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,632
    Nothing nor would I expect him to be playing football ever again

18. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,365
    He sent out a tweet just today that suggested he fully intends to try to play again. He thanked all the QBs he'd caught passes from in his career by their jersey number and ended it with "#?". That would certainly suggest he intends to try and play again.

19. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,452
    I'm sure he does, but it'll be another whole year before we'll know if he actually can make a comeback.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,365
    Is that true? Melvin had ACL surgery later in the year than this, and he came back the same season.

21. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,452
    Yes, from what I've read, you'll be talking about at least 2015 before you'd see Alexander play football again.

22. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I love the smell of football in the morning.

Ratings:
    +1,152