1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

All offense in AFC West head coaching lineup

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    February 9, 2009
    Posted by ESPN.com's Bill Williamson

Thanks to a couple of readers who reached out to me and asked about the offensive-minded slant to the AFC West head coaches, it dawned on me: The AFC West is the only division in the NFL in which all four of the head coaches are offensive-minded.

The AFC West has three new permanent head coaches after a hectic first five weeks of the offseason. All three coaches: Denver's Josh McDaniels, Kansas City's Todd Haley and Oakland's Tom Cable are offensive-first coaches. McDaniels was New England's offensive coordinator Haley was Arizona's offensive coordinator and Cable was Oakland's offensive line coach prior to becoming interim coach.

They all join San Diego's Norv Turner, who is an offense-first coach as well.
    Previously, the division had three offensive-minded coaches and one defensive-minded coach, Kansas City's Herm Edwards. He was fired last month as was Denver's Mike Shanahan; Cable replaced Lane Kiffin (an offensive coach) last September on an interim basis.

Now, all four coaches are offensive coaches. No other division can boast that, if it's a boast. Every other division has at least one defensive-minded head coach.

What does it all mean? Are the old Wild West days back?

Maybe. San Diego and Denver are pretty set offensively so they are ready to roll. Oakland has a good running attack but needs to work on its passing game and the Chiefs need to figure out what to do at quarterback.

And these teams all better score plenty of points because there are defensive issues in this division. While San Diego made great strides under Ron Rivera in the second half of the season, no defensive unit in this division can be considered elite.

So these offensive-minded coaches also need to pay attention to defense or all of the possibilities on offense won't matter much.

2. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    In all honesty, and it kills me to say this as such a Donkey hater, I can't wait to see what McDaniels can do with Cutler. He's had to work with Tom Brady and Mat Cassel, who are very different quarterbacks than Mr. diabetes and I bet he'll find a way to really use Cutler. That kid may make some terrible decisions and talk more out of his *** than anywhere else but he is a good quarterback and McDaneils is a good OC. Let's see how that pans out in Denver. Still, I don't think it will be enough for Donkeytown to take the AFC West from us.

3. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,601
    MickD's offense will not be a problem, the Chargers always seem to play spread offenses tough. Peyton Manning has always been contained, and I don't think Tom Brady (or Cassell) has ever had a decent game against us.

The only pass first offense that has really gashed us to the point where we looked helpless was New Orleans, and that was with "he who must no be named" as our defensive coordinator.

• Like Like x 1