1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

All you San Diego natives

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by szarmes, Jun 5, 2010.

1. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    Ok, so I don't live in San Diego but I've thinking about moving there for a while. If I was to move to San Diego, what are the "slums", so to speak, of the city... like what areas should be avoided? Also what areas are the nicest to live in?

Thx

2. Daddy_O

Daddy_O Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +300
    The Highway 56 corridor from Del Mar/La Jolla all the way to Poway and up to Ramona. Puts you in the middle of everything.

Avoid I-78 Corridor and south of the 8. There are some nice areas but it's hit and miss.

Ramona is a great place if you like small town rural settings. Best bang for the buck money wise. Adds about 9 miles to your commute but worth it.

Poway is nice and full of Chargers/Padres players. Still reasonably priced.

Rancho Bernardo is still affordable and very nice.

4S Ranch if you have the dough.

Same with Del Mar and La Jolla.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Sorry, but I got to disagree with daddy-o. Sure Del Mar and La Jolla are nice if you're wealthy, but there are plenty of other GREAT areas that are in his places to avoid. South of the 8, for example. Some great neighborhoods there.

It's not an easy question you ask though. We need more info.

1. Are you looking to buy or rent?
    2. What's your price range for rent / mortgage?
    3. What type of place are you looking for? Condo/Apartment/House?
    4. What type of neighborhood do you want to live in? Urban Chic / Up and Coming / Suburbia / Cheap, but safe / Luxurious?
    5. Do you need or want to be close to a certain area for an easier commute, etc.?

I can tell you the ins and out of most neighborhoods in the San Diego area. If you have a specific question about a neighborhood, post it here or PM me and I'll answer it.

4. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Stay out of Linda Vista! :icon_rofl:

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,672
    I'd avoid the College Park area (not Del Cerro which is good), the area around Imperial Avenue, some parts of Chula Vista.

6. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,153
    The south side of Escondido used to be the pits.........I know because I lived there. Don't know what it's like now though.

Hell, the south sides of almost ANY town are the pits. Avoid 'em like the plague!:lol:

7. D4L

D4L BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +17
    Stay away from Southeast Daygo unless you are thinking of getting in on property near the new stadium they may build by Petco. My bro lives in San Carlos which is nice as well as San Marcos. I know this is an old thread but I was in SD a couple weeks ago and wish I still lived there.

8. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,153
    Hey, is Poway still the home of what used to be the world's largest Burp Gulch? :lol: Almost every fast-food franchise in SD County, from Mickey D's to Wendy's to Baja Fresh, must've got its start in Poway. My parents used to joke about it, but Poway was always where we headed whenever they got an urge to try a new fast-food place. :yes: