1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Already optimistic about next year...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Boltergeist, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    This team plus a healthy LT and Merriman back is going to be badass....All we REALLY need to do is find a replacement for Clary, Goff and Whiffhelm and we will be a LOAD for any team in the NFL to deal with......also, pray that Rivera doesn't leave us to become the Detroit Lions' next coach.

We have the system down..we need to sign Sproles...have him take a good chunk of LT's carries next year so that we have BOTH backs healthy for the postseason...make a couple of tweaks to solidify the OLine....and if we have enough in the coffers...sign James Farrior as a stop gap vet and get that non-tackling beotch Wilhelm outta here.

2. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,626
    We will NOT sign a big name free agent. How many years must we go over this?

PROTIP: AJ does not go after or sign high profile free agents. Period.

3. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    How is Farrior a big name FA?...and why are you going off on me?....Farrior is like 33 or 34 and isnt' going to get some back breaking contract.....If I would have said Julius Peppers then I could understand where you're coming from...but I didn't, so relax.

4. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,626
    Because he starts for the Steelers and I don't see them letting him go. Also, I'm not going off on you.

5. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Well, we did our best. Thats all that can be asked. A bad call or two. But the killer was god having the ball land on weddles helmet and the stealers got the ball. Thats not good. Kind of made me think god was'nt even on our side.

OUr one big weakness is our d-line or front d-7. They've got to find a better inside linebacker and d-end this offseason. Not much of a pass rush and not much to stop the running game. It's actually our only bad weakness that I can see.

I think its a gimme that merriman has to be signed long term now. We might have to loose cromartie or mcneil. But we need merriman for the future.

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,632
    Some more minor FAs we could sign

Ray Lewis (won't ask for the world)
    Vernon Carey
    Chris Canty
    Bertrand Berry
    Mike Petersen
    Bart Scott
    Dawan Landry (depends how high his tag is, might be low considering the Ravens have some other good Safeties they like)
    OJ Atogwe
    Jermaine Phillips

All good, not great and all nice additional pieces

7. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,208
    Aj dont pay for FA's/ He doesnt get NAME FAs. Anyone hoping for that should stop now so they dont get disappointed.

8. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111

He's a FA, they already have younger replacements for him and switch LBers regularly (remember that guy Joey Porter...or Kendrell Bell...and several more) and they have contract issues to work through too...Not every team can sign every player they have including us and the Steelers.

9. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    I would love Bart Scott or Lewis but most of those guys wouldn't be cost effective which is why I suggested Farrior who is on the tail end of his career and isn's a huge name like Ray Ray....but nonetheless a nice stop gap upgrade at MLB...

Berry will probably get a big contract. BTW, I think Ray likes it in Baltimore and they know he can obviously still dominate and lead the team.

10. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,626
    I'd rather we spent our money on our own guys.

11. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    So would I if it comes down to that. We need to keep LT, sign Sproles, sign Merriman, sign Rivers long-term and make a decision on Cro and McNeil reasonably soon. Lots of money to pay out and that's the first priority.

12. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    I'm optimistic as well and the window isn't even close to closing on this team; not with Rivers at QB.

We need a head-thumping MLB and a head-thumping safety.

A healthy Merriman is going to be a monster next year. :yes:

13. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,626
    Bingo.

We have our guy. Took Peyton 9 years to get his, and as long as Indy has him, they will be a threat.

Now we have our guy and I have no doubt he will deliver the prize.

14. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,684
    QFT

15. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    I feel good at QB too....as we all should....I've had my complaints about Rivers but the best thing about him IMO is that he DOES continue to learn and get better an correct his bad habits..that's all you can ask for and you can't argue with his production......That being said, we do need to keep him and our backs healthy and productive...and that means solidifying our (at times) porous OLine.

16. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 New Member

Ratings:
    +54
    Our protection will get a little bit better as Hester becomes better at picking up the blitz when he is in there.

17. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt New Member

Ratings:
    +192

Eugene Amano and James Farrior

18. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111

Agree...the experience Hester and Tolbert gained can't hurt us. We need an upgrade at RT (even if it's just using LJ Shelton) and a replacement for Goff however as he is surely gone.

19. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    We need a new HC.

Norv was a loser when he came here and he's a loser now. Face reality!!!

20. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,626
    Technically, he still has a winning record here.

Just saying.

21. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    OK... BUT if Donks get up to a 10-6 season, we're done!!!
    We'll NEVER see a Super Bowl under Norv.

An average head coach would have had the better success if handed this team last season and this season.

Barry Switzer won a Super Bowl but look what he was handed. Norv would have done it too because it would be even harder to screw it up!!!

22. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,208
    B4L the Chargers are closer to s superbowl right now than they have been in recent memory.

Even with the Great Bobby Ross, we were not common participants in the playoffs. We are now. With Norv.

We are closer to what everyone wants. Yes we need some tweaks. Heck we need everyone healthy again. But we are making the playoffs, even in a sub par year like this one.

Just sayin...

23. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Ask Skins fans how much they adored Norv.
    Downward Spiral is his middle name!!

An F*** AJ too!!

24. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,626
    Ok...BUT if my brother had a vagina he'd be my sister.

Hypotheticals. Always hypotheticals with you. You can't argue that **** "might" happen. That's just retarded.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,208
    Daniel Snyder is not here. It has been proven you cant just by players and make them a team.

Apples and oranges IMO.

26. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

I think the Donks can become a 10-6 team. To say they'll never be more than an 8-8 team is flat out ignorant.
    8-8 sucks *** (especially for a team like ours) and we can NOT keep depending on our devision rivalries to suck!!!! THAT'S THE ONLY REASON WE MADE IT TO THE PLAYOFFS TO BEGIN WITH!!!

Today, the true story was revealed!!! Have a hard time swallowing the truth?

27. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Excuses, excuses.

Norv is horrible and it was proven today.
    Being 8-8 in the most horrible division in the league should have proven it in the beginning!!!!

28. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,208
    What ever you say. :unsure:

29. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I get it... you consider 8-8 (after a 14-2 season and a 11-5 season) to be progress. I think you miss the Gilbride and Riley eras.

30. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,208

Here is what I think. I think someone is a fool to measure one season against another unless everything is the same.

The 14-2 season is not the same as the 11-5 season and that is not the same as the 8-8 season.

Did I want better than 8-8 hell yes! But I am also proud that the team did not collapse and get worse than 8-8. I am still proud that they are the AFC West Champs, even at 8-8.

Next season I want better. Every season I want better. Now if that makes me a bad fan in your eyes so be it.

The team did not crumble and give up. They did not quit playing. Again Norv found a away to get them to the playoffs. That seems totally lost on you, and I think it has more to do with your pride than any conviction you have.