1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

ANALYSIS: Merriman needs to play to keep his job

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

By Kevin Acee
    Wednesday, October 6, 2010 at 6:58 p.m.

Shawne Merriman returned to practice on Wednesday, looking spry and ready to play.
    Good thing.
    He needs to be on the field in order to remain a Charger.
    Yes, you read that right.
    The Chargers have made at least one roster move each week this season, and at least one more will come next week when room must be made for Marcus McNeill on the roster. (Don’t just assume poor Dante Hughes will be waived for the 123rd time in a month, though that could well be what happens.)
    Now, don’t expect Merriman to be the corresponding move for McNeill. The Chargers are light on outside linebackers and have a difficult stretch upcoming.
    But everyone needs to be aware that, more than ever, Merriman is not on solid footing with the Chargers.
    He remains on the trading block, as he has been for more than a year, and could be moved before the Oct. 19 trading deadline. But there has been little activity on that front.
    And, thing is, an injured player is not going to be traded. An injured player, however, can be cut.
    Even if Merriman is not traded, that is no guarantee he will remain with the Chargers until the end of the season.
    Three seasons removed from his third straight Pro Bowl, having created more news off the field than on it of late, it is a very real possibility that Merriman will be released before January.
    That doesn’t mean it’s likely. The Chargers gave him $3.269 million to come back this season because they hoped he could make a difference. They still hope so.
    But if he is of no use to them, they will drop him sooner rather than later.
    Be assured that the team’s decision makers are tiring of waiting to see if Merriman will be of use and how much use that proves to be.
    Merriman was limited in Wednesday’s practice, working all of individual drills and on certain packages in team drills, and there is optimism he can play Sunday at Oakland.
    That would be a positive re-start, as he missed all but the first three snaps of the Sept. 26 game at Seattle and the entirety last week’s game at Arizona due to a left calf strain. He also missed the season opener with a right Achilles’ injury and played just 24 snaps in the season’s second game.
    This after reporting two weeks late to training camp and working for two days before aggravating the Achilles’ injury that was among the ailments that limited him to slightly more than 400 snaps in 2009.
    Merriman went to great lengths to play in ’09, subjecting himself to pregame painkilling shots before at least six games. His reward was, finally, the realization that no matter what he does he will not be rewarded with a long-term deal in San Diego.
    It would be a little much to expect Merriman will take many painful injections with six-inch needles this year just to get on the field when his future is on the line.
    But he does need to get on the field – for his long-term future as well as short-term. He needs to show he can still play. Some team will take a shot on him after this season, regardless. His promise is too great. But the better he plays this season, the better that contract will be.
    The Chargers know that. General manager A.J. Smith is something of a connoisseur on compensatory picks.
    Those picks are based largely on the size of the contract an unrestricted free agent gets from his new team. The Chargers got two fourth-round compensatory picks in 2009 after Michael Turner signed with the Atlanta Falcons (six years, $34.5 million with $15 million guaranteed) and Drayton Florence signed with the Jacksonville Jaguars following the ’08 offseason (six years, $36 million with $13 million guaranteed).
    If he remains hurt, and perhaps even if he doesn’t, considering he missed all of the 2008 season and had just four sacks in ’09, it is a safe bet Merriman won’t fetch anywhere near that type of money. Thus, the Chargers wouldn’t be giving up much in the way of compensatory potential if they cut him.
    So if the Chargers need a roster spot, especially after Larry English gets healthy, and if Merriman has been unable to stay healthy, there will be no hesitation to cut ties with the player they have long planned to eventually cut ties with.

2. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp Jesus gives wisdom if you pray for it! Banned

Ratings:
    +4
    With-out roids he isn't a good player at his position in my opinion.

3. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    The roids issue was addressed years ago, it cost him and the team 4 games...and a lot more drug tests for Merriman every year. The growing list of injuries has cost him in excess of 20 games. Merriman is not right physically due to these injuries and there is no guarantee he will ever be able to come close to the production in his first three seasons. Bottom line, roids or no roids...if your legs don't work right you won't be playing pro football for long.

4. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Try doing some research before making an ignorant post like this

5. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    What I don't get is that since he is guaranteed the money already, even if he is released. So why not just IR him which would prevent other teams from getting him for the season? Acee said there is a possibility they could just release him, which just doesn't make sense to me

6. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    I gotta give 56 credit here. He is playing Aj at Aj's game. Looks like all that business crap taught him something.

They could put him on the IR but they are thin at OLB as it is.

He isnt as stupid as I thought.

7. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Acee = Duh

Friggin' Raider week and the best he can come up with is "merriman needs to play to keep his job"

8. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I am not saying they should put him on IR, the article said they could possibly release him once a couple guys come back from injury. I am just asking why would we release him, which allows him to go play for another team, when we can IR him and lock him up. He will cost us the same amount either way

9. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    I read somewhere that if the Chargers could not trade Merriman by the deadline, that they might release him! That would be stupid wouldn't it? I mean, why try and trade him and then if there are no takes just let him go for nothing? That means you see no value in him at all!! A smart team, would just wait until the Chargers let him go and then sign him...probably what will happen.

Its like Drew Brees again.

10. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    I agreed. I'm just saying it looks like 56 is playing a bit of a game here. Sign the weak tender when he wanted a long term contract and then just milk injuries until he is released or traded. What is there to lose on 56's side? He isnt going to be offered more than 3.2 mill, not in the Chargers long term plans and will most def. get more than 3.2 mill from some team that is desperate.

This is what happens when your GM is concerned with being the best business exec in all the world. He's made all of their decisions strictly business and the players have responded.

11. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    So Merriman is faking it. ???

Got it.

12. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Purposely suppressing his own market value is smart? Seems like going out and having a great season, showing potential suitors that he is healthy and "back" would be a better idea.

How do you market yourself coming off this? "I was sandbagging it to avoid injury." I'm sure other teams will be all over sign him in that case. Or, "I was hurt all season." That too will probably be a big selling point.

13. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    Incentive to do more?

Got it!

14. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    Shawne shredded his throwing shoulder, requiring major surgery? Surgery that nobody was really sure he would be able to come back from?

Oh yeah, it's exactly the same thing.

15. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    If we're gonna latch on to the Milk-it/Fake-it line of though... we could also say LT was milking/faking his injuries to convince everyone that he is washed up and thus forcing a release... so that he could join his daddy's son's team in New York and get his wish of finally running behind a "great offensive line". Because we all know it was the O-line's fault last year.

16. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    He's going to get more than 3.2 no matter what he does and it's this part that he knows better than you - FROM SOME OTHER TEAM.

If he is fine with making 3.2 mill, he will be fine with whatever offer he gets from another team for more. I dont think he wants or thinks he deserves big time money. Just more than a tender with a couple years added.

You gotta realize, this is a guy that knows the business end all too well and has already seen what a major injury can do to his career. Why on earth would he put it all on the line again with those things looming? This is a chance to stick it to the man and still make some good money.

17. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    This is fun. Who else is faking it to get back at AJ?

18. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    So, he could go out, have a great year, show everyone he is back, and really drive up his value. Or he could fake injuries and show people that he really isn't about football, and A.J. Smith was 100% correct about his "Hollywood" attitude.

Got it.

19. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +377
    Its been four games everyone give him break. Am sure he'll light it up this Sunday against the Faiders. My Prediction for Lights Out goes as 2 Sacks 2 force fumbles and thousands of Happy Charger fans.

20. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    He's going to drive up his value just by leaving the Chargers. LOL. Who says he wants big time money? A LTC is more than 3.2 no matter what. Thats what he wants and thats what he will get, no matter what he does this season. The "hype" and "promise" of tomorrow will start all over. He'll get a 2-3 year contract, hype everyone up in the offseason and play average. He'll blend in and make millions.

Thats hard to believe? You think this guy wants to be one of the elites still?

21. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    So you're saying A.J. Smith's alleged opinion about Merriman is correct? And based on that opinion (which you are saying is correct) he doesn't want to sign Merriman long term, and somehow all of this makes A.J. an idiot?

22. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Tila taught him everything he knows.

23. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    I never brought Aj into this discussion other than to say 56 is playing business right back at him.

24. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    All the things you are saying would appear to back up A.J.'s alleged feelings about Merriman, the alleged reasons he won't dole out a long term contract.

25. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Faking it to get back at AJ. Seriously?

[​IMG]

26. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    Your assumption, not mine.

27. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    What?

ALLEGEDLY, A.J. feels that Shawne is not all about being a San Diego Charger. Go back and read the things you posted. Do those things, if true, not completely show A.J.'s alleged opinions about Merriman to be true?

28. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    You've read what I said and assumed I said more. I didnt.

Try another tactic. This one didnt get bit.

29. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    You said:

I agreed. I'm just saying it looks like 56 is playing a bit of a game here. Sign the weak tender when he wanted a long term contract and then just milk injuries until he is released or traded. What is there to lose on 56's side? He isnt going to be offered more than 3.2 mill, not in the Chargers long term plans and will most def. get more than 3.2 mill from some team that is desperate.

Doesn't that tend to back up the theory that A.J. thinks Shawne isn't all about football?

And regardless of how butthurt Shawne may be about getting ONLY $3.2 million, he IS being paid to play football this year. If he is intentionally stealing money from the Chargers by not putting forth an honest effort, you have no issue with it because he's sticking it to a guy you plainly don't like?

30. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    Since I dont see anything in my words about theorys or how AJ viewed 56 or what 56 is worth - NO. Those are your assumptions. All I have ever said is 56 wanted this and has responded this way to what he was offered.

And after 20+ years of rooting for the Chargers just to find out one man is bigger than everyone, no, I dont mind if a player or two sticks it to the org. It's not like hes on the field or affecting games. He's affecting their pocket book. And since that is priority #1 with the FO, **** it.