1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Analysis: Whats wrong with LT and the Bolts ?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by PhilipRivers#1, Sep 24, 2007.

1. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    The schedule has worked out pretty badly for the Chargers. They got Chicago at home the first week, and we all knew that was going to be a tough game, particularly for their offense. They were one-dimensional in the passing game with Antonio Gates because LaDainian Tomlinson had nowhere to run against the Bears. You wrote that game off vs. Chicago because the Bears loaded up to stop LT and forced San Diego to have a pretty poor offensive game.

I was a little bit alarmed about how Philip Rivers struggled in that game, but I figured it was the Bears. But there was a lot of pressure on them. When the Chargers traveled to New England in Week 2, there was no way of knowing that it was going to be the "trap game" that it was. I don't think anybody in the NFL was beating the Patriots that day. I mean nobody after all that Bill Belichick, spy-gate stuff. And Terry Bradshaw said today that nobody is going to beat the Patriots the rest of the season, either.
    So, after a tough, very physical game on the road, the Chargers traveled all the way across the country again before having to go to Green Bay and face another, emerging good defense.

Right now, LaDainian has 130 rushing yards in three games. That was a bad single-game total for him last season. Now, in the loss to the Packers, Rivers played a heckuva lot better than he had in the two previous games, and Vincent Jackson really made some plays early. Those things were encouraging, as was Gates coming up with another 100-yard game.

I was little bit more disappointed in the defense. The secondary, I know, is questionable, if you block the front. Well, the Packers blocked them and Brett Favre exploited the defensive backs. Favre threw the ball 45 times Sunday against just 13 runs for Green Bay. The impressive thing was no turnovers from Favre.

I'm a little bit concerned about what I saw on the sidelines with LT, Rivers and Gates and the post-game press conference. I like the fact that Gates stepped in on the sideline between Rivers and LT, that says a lot about Gates.

Hey, this is a young quarterback who has had to face three of the league's best defenses in consecutive games. And he played very well today. I think LaDainian's confrontation with him on the sidelines is more a by-product of LT being frustrated that there is nowhere to run. And if the running back was someone else other than Tomlinson, I'd say seven of his runs would have been for negative yards or maybe minus four for five yards. His ability to out-run four defenders and end up with no gain says a lot about him.

But Tomlinson is in many ways the face of that football team. He can't do what he did on the sidelines, and he has to be careful with how he handles himself in press conferences after the game. He simply didn't come across very well.

I realize that this team is under the gun. They were 14-2 last season and didn't perform well against the Patriots in the playoffs. But a lot of teams fold up their tent against New England in the playoffs, including Indianapolis on a number of occasions. The Patriots with the roster they had last year still ended up a dropped pass away from going to the Super Bowl and beating the Bears. Now, they are loaded for another run.

I know that relationship was dysfunctional between Marty Schottenheimer and A.J. Smith, but look at this team now.

Click the link to read the rest of the story.
    http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7257996?MSNHPHMA

• Like Like x 1
  2. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    I'm sure I will get booted for stating an opinion, but for what it's worth....

AJ sacked that coaching staff after the playoffs last year. His ego got the best of him, and he was a little too much in a rush to get rid of Marty.

To bring in a completely new coaching staff with a completely new philosophy and a completely new game plan usually takes a little time before things come together. The Charger fans expected miracles from a coaching change and an immediate Super Bowl birth. Surprise...things aren't quite that simple, and now you are stuck with Turner whether the fans like it or not, because for AJ to fire him now would be proof positive AJ screwed up, and AJ's ego couldn't stand that.

You guys need to give this team time to adjust to the new system, and you have some good things working for you...you are in a weak division where your only competition is the Broncos...although don't be surprised if the Raiders hang a big win over the Chargers. And you have a talented football team that needs to mature a little. You beat the Bears, and there is no shame losing to the Patriots. The Green Bay defense beat up on you guys, but that's football.

Kansas City does not have a great team this year; the Raiders are better than they were last year; the Broncos can be beat, but you have to get serious about beating them. If the Chargers win 10 games this year, consider that a fine year for a team undergoing a radical coaching change. Be patient.

3. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    I just some replays and the arguement was precipitated because LT was wide open on a route in the flats when Rivers overthrew Gates.

LT and Rivers going at it to where Gates has to step in to sort of break it up speaks volumes. It also shows me dudes are ready to kick the **** out of each other which is not a good thing.

Right now the coaching flat out sucks. They flashed a stat the Chargers had not recovered an onside kick in over a decade.

LT gets boinked in the helmet on a pass and I just busted up laughing. I could not help but just shake my head and laugh.

Weddle being in perfect position for an INT and he falls down.

A player loses a shoe and the announcers are saying the Chargers sidelines look in disarray.

And the beat goes on .... and the beat goes on......

4. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    People can run around here calling each other chicken-littles and whatever else but the bottom line is there is genuine cause for concern. This defense has no life whatsoever and we are not attacking anybody. Even Favre said they were worried and limited because they know they can't run the ball and still Cottrell didn't adjust. On the rare plays where our defense even showed blitz Favre was a lot less settled and you could see how it changed his approach. LT needs to STFU and show some heart right now. All we've heard is playoffs and now we'll win our next three yada yada but **** I hope we can play well and win a game right now because nobody is scared of us.

5. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Norv is the WHOLE problem!!!
    The yelling on the sidelines yesterday was proof!!! :icon_evil:

6. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    You know what? At least we aren't here:
    <object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Qwq7BYOnDrM"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Qwq7BYOnDrM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

7. PowderLove

Ratings:
    +494
    <object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zX4ox7aX_wc"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zX4ox7aX_wc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    there are much worse teams and situations then we are in, not the least of which being; St Louis or Buffalo or Baltimore or Cincinnati or frankly the Chiefs.

9. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    The biggest problem yesterday was the lack of clutch plays. Rivers played a very good game, but he missed throws when it counted.

3rd and 3--2:30 to play. Rivers takes a three step drop. All he has to do is hit a wide open Jackson on a 5 yard out. If he does, the Bolts can pretty much run out the clock. What does he do? He airmails it.

Now, you can blame the defense if you want for giving up the winning score. But they held Favre and the Pack scoreless for all of the 2nd half. They had just made a tremendous goal line stand. It was up to the offense to close that game out. Last year they would have done that. This year they did not.

10. PowderLove

Ratings:
    +494
    What's wrong? They played emotionally flat.

11. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    Bingo!

It definitely isn't time for anyone to be writing off this season. The Chargers are still in a very good position with some excellent talent.

12. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Oh no. The kiss of death. I must be totally off base. :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl:

13. Monkeybacon

Monkeybacon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21
    I blame the new uniforms and Chunky Soup Curse:whistling:

14. msmith

msmith BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    But the Chargers was considered as the premier team to go SB, was picked #1 in the pre-season power ranking, was voted the most talented team in the league. High expectation is let down by low performance.

15. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    True but by the same token
    1. We are seeing progress
    2. we are not even done with 1/4 of the season, we can still rip off a bunch of wins and make the playoffs

and once we do its a whole 'nother ball of wax

16. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    St. Louis... No argument there.
    Baltimore... How is their situation worse than ours? :icon_shrug:
    Cincinnati... Overrated!! 9-7 at very best.
    Buffalo... No playoff expectations.
    Quiefs... See above.

17. msmith

msmith BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    I am not saying Chargers are doomed already. But unless they turn around fast, they may not even clinch the division, let alone a playoff spot. Even if they get in, they would play the Patriots at NE, assuming the Pattys are hot thru the season. Then the Chargers would have another one-and-done experience.

There are progress, but there are also some glaring problems that have surfaced: the ineffectiveness of running game, the complacement of some players, and the team chemistry. Some of these problems can be addressed in short term, but some would take longer period of time. Time is not on the Chargers' side this year.

18. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    That is the most troubling thing. Did you see the Green Bay defense? They were fired up and flying to the ball.

To come out flat like we did, after getting our asses handed to us in Foxboro...

...it is apparentlly too much to expect this team to motivate themselves. Norv Turner is going to have to do something to light a fire under the entire team.

It isn't time for full-on panic. YET. We can reel off 3 in a row, be sitting at 4-2 going into the bye.

At the very least, Rivers looked good, and the receivers got involved. It's not like we have to correct EVERYTHING.

Try to keep the faith, everyone.

19. Buttmunch

Buttmunch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    I hear you TK, but right now the D is regressing and that has many of us beyond shocked. I told myself at the beginning of the season not to worry, because it would be hard for someone to F up our D with this much talent on it.......DOH...wrong! :unsure:

20. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    We're one game behind the Donks in the division. The Donks play the Colts, while we play the Queefs this week. Chances are, we'll be tied going into our week 5 matchup at Mile High. Way too early to panic. We just need to get our mojo back. Our offensive and defensive fronts need to start playing better. Florence needs to wake up. McCree needs to play smarter. Cro needs to play more consistent and hold onto picks that hit him in the hands. Hart needs to cover somebody. Rivers needs to exhibit the clutch play that he showed last year. We just need to continue to improve week to week and we'll get where we need to be.

21. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    We've scored as many points as the Donkeys in as many games, and are offense is only getting better.

22. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192

I don't think that we came out flat. Our defense played great until MEcree's bonehead headhunter personal foul that gave Green Bay a first down. Our offense scored on its first possession. We lost the game at the end, much like Baltimore last year.