1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Andy Reid may rest his starters

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Dec 23, 2013.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,500
    Andy Reid may rest his starters in Week 17
    Posted by Josh Alper on December 23, 2013, 1:38 PM EST

The Chiefs are locked into the fifth seed in the AFC regardless of what happens for them next weekend, so they may not expose some of their starters to the risk of injury when they travel to San Diego.

Andy Reid said Monday, via Terez Paylor of theKansas City Star, that he is still making up his mindabout how to approach the game with the Chargers. Reid noted that he’d had success after resting players for the postseason in the past, so players like Jamaal Charles and Alex Smith may be getting plenty of rest before Kansas City plays in the Wild Card round.

The biggest argument to make for playing the starters for at least some of Week 17 might be the way the Chiefs looked against the Colts on Sunday. It was a listless performance across the board and Reid could opt for ending the regular season on a better note next week.

Reid’s decision could impact more than just the Chiefs. The Chargers are one of the four teams still alive in the race for the sixth playoff spot in the AFC and a win would seem to be more likely when facing second-stringers for the Chiefs.

2. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,374
    I'm more interested to know if the Bengals will be resting theirs. We can beat the Chiefs. Bengals don't stand much of a chance without their #1s.

3. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,727
    Pretty sure Houston must've been employing this strategy…for the 2013 season…

Screen Shot 2013-12-23 at 4.32.46 PM.png

4. BoltsNHoes

BoltsNHoes I gotta have me my....

Ratings:
    +71
    [​IMG]

I'm pretty sure the jets are gonna want to play spoiler, but still, unless the Bengals just really want to bury the Ravens for good, I can see them resting the starters. I seriously hope I'm wrong about that.

5. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,722
    I can't see any team allowing a rival to make the playoffs. So I'd be shocked to see anybody rest starters this week.

I think that was the point of the NFL making the schedules like this. All seasons end with at least some bragging rights.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. BoltsNHoes

BoltsNHoes I gotta have me my....

Ratings:
    +71

Point taken. I do like the suspense. I'm not sure I've seen a Week 17 that mattered so much across the league.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    The Bengals can finish anywhere from 2nd-4th seed, so I'd bet they play their starters.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Lightning_Dynasty

Lightning_Dynasty Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +310
    Yeah, the Bengals have no reason to rest their starters, when a first round bye is still theoretical for them. They get it and their starters still get their rest and they have a shot and homefield advantage if when the Broncos collapse.

It's crazy to think that if Gilchrist had caught the interception, or we had just ran it 3 times in Washington, all of this would be incredibly different. Football is one helluva sport.

9. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    The losses to the Redskins and Texans are especially bad--two of the worst teams in the league. Ah well, the Bolts were nothing if not inconsistent this year.

10. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +636
    We've won 4 out of our last 5, current 3 game winning streak, if we beat the Chiefs Sunday we'd be on a 4 game winning streak heading into the playoffs, and whats better than getting hot right before the post season (NYG 2007, 2011 as wild cards)?

I really hope everything goes our way Sunday. Bengals will take care of business at home to a nicked up Ravens team, the Jets game is what scares me. Going down into Miami, but I think Rex will want revenge for that game a few weeks back in which they lost in their house 23-3 against Miami, I really hope Rex spoils the Fins' playoff hopes.