1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Andy Reid

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Bolts4lyfe, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +771
    NFL Network's Ian Rapoport said on Total AccessTuesday night that he "keep(s) hearing" San Diego as a potential landing spot for likely outgoing Eagles coach Andy Reid.
    Rapoport expects Reid to be "a pretty coveted candidate," and pointed out that Reid is from California. The Chargers also have a quarterback Reid might be able to "fix" in Philip Rivers, whose performance has fallen off the past two years under Norv Turner. Rivers has played his entire career in the "Air Coryell" style vertical offense. Reid would bring a West Coast system to San Diego.

2. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    This only works if we keep AJ, in which case firing one playoff loser to hire another makes good sense.

3. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,896
    Reid's gotten further than Norv has.

Not that he's who I'd want.

4. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I love the smell of football in the morning.

Ratings:
    +1,147
    What? The same way Reid "fixed" Vick? No thanks.

5. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Once anyway...

6. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    He fixed Vick right good.

7. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,896
    True.

But he also made it as far as Norv did 4 times more.

But, as I said in another thread, we can't pick our favorites based on contrasting them to Norv, so this isn't an argument for Reid. I'd rather pass.

8. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Good point. When I call him a playoff loser, I'm saying he's had multiple opportunities with very talented teams to get it done, and he hasn't. Seems like a non-starter to me.

9. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +771
    Just to be clear, I was just reporting what I heard, this is Not an endorsement.

Now that that's out of the way, I feel Reid's job in Philly would be less in jeopardy if their O line (which was addressed FA and in drafts) were healthy

even if all of our guys healthy we still have 3 of our 5 in the bottom tier (dead last) of o line ranks in the NFL. And F me sideways Clary was ranked ahead of Harris and Gaither, believe it or not

10. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +771
    Also, Brian Dawkins speculated that their may be more behind closed doors. After Jason Babin was released yesterday, he noted that the last time the Eagles flat out released someone due to a poor season was T.O.
    One rotten apple, everything around gets spoiled

11. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +456
    Of course San Diego is a potential landing spot, we will have a vacant HC position. So is every other city that will need a coach during the off-season. That being said, I don't want Reid and his off the field issues here.

12. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +480
    I hope not, I'd rather have an up and coming coordinator

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +494
    Let's get wild and crazy up in here!:confused:
    Give me Chip Kelly or give me death!:bolt2:
    There, I said it.

14. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +480
    I think you're going to die

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I love the smell of football in the morning.

Ratings:
    +1,147
    When I see "Chip" I automatically start thinking "Ranch Dip." No pun intended.

16. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,617
    All my NOPE.

17. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,602
    My only question is why has Reid's last two years weighed so much heavier than his previous ten where he was routinely successful?

18. MadMike

Ratings:
    +456
    Not worried about his performance, worried about all the off the field crap with Reid and his family causing issues.

19. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Shelf life of a coach.

20. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,039
    So would I... but I'm also more realistic than to expect Dean to favor one of those heavily considering they have zero name recognition among the casual fan base which is who Dean is far more concerned with appeasing so that he can go back to collecting their greenbacks.

21. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +494
    1. Andy Reid has people close to him disappearing all the time.
    2. He keeps getting bigger.
    3. Hmmm...

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    After some seriously negligent research and consideration...meaning non at all. I'm officially against bringing Andy Reid in as the Charger HC.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,190
    You mean like Bobby Ross and Mike Riley... Spanos' have not been adverse to looking at non names before why do you think they will be now?

24. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,602
    His kid died from a drug overdose, not sure how much more there could be

25. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +633
    Coaches I want to see here in 2013.. In order..

1. David Shaw - HC Stanford
    2. Rex Ryan (If he becomes available, doubt it) - HC NYJ
    3. Vic Fagnio - DC 49ers
    4. Jon Gruden - Analyst or Jay Gruden - OC CIN
    5. Rich Bisaccia - ST/Assistant Coach SD
    6. Wade Phillips - DC HOU
    7. Gus Bradley - DC SEA
    8. Mike McCoy - OC DEN
    9. Dave Toub - ST CHI
    10. Dean Pees (unfortunate season for him with all the injuries) - DC BAL

26. MadMike

Ratings:
    +456
    I forgot he died. Just knew Reid was always having to deal with legal and drug issues with his son. Feel sorry for him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,896
    I'd rather pass on Rex.

For all his talk he hasn't accomplished much more than Norv has.

I'd definitely pass on Wade Phillips. He'd be Norv Turner part 2. Great coordinator, bad head coach.

• Agree Agree x 2
  28. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +633
    Why pass on Rex? Big-market aren't for all coaches.. certainly not Rex Ryan.. He's a great head coach. Many people believe he is one of the best head coaches on one of the worst teams. Just look at his team. Mark Sanchez is his QB, and he took the Jets to the 2009 AFC Championship game with a rookie QB and RB! Wide Receiver, his best option was Braylon Edwards, after him it was Brad Smith and Jerricho Cotchery. He had basically nothing offensively, and had a good defense.

2010, they were beat 45-3 in New England during the regular season, walked in to New England in the playoffs and beat them. Want to know what that tells me? He makes ADJUSTMENTS. Something Norv has never done.

2011 & 2012, again the continue regression of Mark Sanchez, constant turnovers in the red zone AND a bad defense. This year was haunted with injuries to their best two players on the roster and it was a shadow of Tebow, and all that mania, which I believe Rex Ryan had no interest bringing Tebow to NY.

Wade Phillips, another guy who doesn't belong in a big market. Pressure every year in Dallas, and Jerry Jones picks coaches he can over rule and use them as puppets. That's why almost every coach in the past decade in Dallas hasn't had success. He went 13-3 his first season, 9-7 his second season, which by the way makes a playoff appearance as a Wild Card in the AFC, he came in third in his division! That wouldn't happen in the West or AFC, went 11-5 in the following year, and then was fired mid-season and was 1-7, I believe he was 1-3 or 1-4 before the Romo injury.

I'm just saying..

29. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    I think his schtick works for a short time, but wears thin on teams very quickly. Look at how dysfunctional that locker room is! He has no discipline on his team, guys like Holmes and Cromartie and xyz are just allowed to run wild. That puts the good character guys on tilt and the whole place goes to heck (a la 2012). It would be interesting, but ultimately a bad idea.

30. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,602
    Agreed, what happened to him is something I could never imagine going through. Felt horrible for him even after reading alot of the back story about his kid. If he needs a year off or refuses to take another coaching job, imagine he's just burnt out from that and this past year.

I would avoid Rex even though I was a huge fan of his in 2006. I don't know if his schtick is worth it even if I love what he could do with our defense especially if he worked with Pagano.