1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Andy Reid

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Bolts4lyfe, Nov 27, 2012.

1. PanchoX1

PanchoX1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +55
    I still think 'ol Spanos should get Jim Tressel away from the University of Akron.

2. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,019
    And in Buffalo and in Denver where those teams eventually imploded on him and became a near-identical case of the inmates running the asylum that was the end-product of Wade's tenure in Dallas?

At some point, and I think even Wade himself may have resided to this, you don't get a 6th (6th!) opportunity to be a head coach in the NFL. Even Parcells didn't get that and he actually won something. If we exclude Wade's interim HC statuses (though he was given an interview and was a finalist for each both the Atlanta and New Orleans jobs after serving as their interim HC's), this would still require he be hired as a 4th-time head coach. He would cement his photo in the dictionary of football terminology as the very definition of "retread".

• Like Like x 1
  3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,594
    Some people are just destined to be coordinators, not simply because of their failure as a head coach when given multiple opportunities but because they are insanely good when given any team and allowed to run that section their way. Norv Turner was the exact same way, prior to Harbaugh he was the only coordinator under which Alex Smith thrived and also helped the Dolphins run effectively in the early-mid 2000s when they had no real QB or WRs. Nothing wrong with just being a coordinator and being insanely good at it; see Dick LeBeau for further proof.

If AJ Smith comes back with Wade Phillips as the head coach candidate, Dean Spanos should counter his offer by saying two words; Kurt Schottenheimer. If AJ needs further understanding, give him a pink slip and a boot in the *** out the door

4. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Bill Williamson at ESPN did a list on potential AFCWest hires, and his list included Shaw from Stanford. He looks like a good candidate but I think that if we passed on an opportunity for a Belicheckian coach to get a Harbaugh I'd have such horrendous buyers remorse.

5. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,610
    Man, you guys really need to get off Chip Kelly's nuts. The way a couple of you guys go on about him you'd think Oregon was the 3 time defending D1 CFB NC.

Chip Kelly has as many National Championship victories as I do. :p

6. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,173
    WAIT A SECOND! Have you lost your marbels?! how can you have won every one of them if Chip has?! I mean you guys may have split the games... but both won all? Tie? Perhaps, but not won...

7. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,019
    You're right. Because in-game coaching has EVERYTHING to do with winning National Championships. Holding a lack of championships in the SEC-obsessed BCS is the be-all end-all. Let's just dismiss the fact that he took a perpetual also-ran in a non-SEC conference and in 5 years turned them into consistently one of the top teams in the country. Of course, that's all gimmick offense, right?

But I forgot, we're just agreeing to disagree - except when you want to get back on your soapbox to sling your mud.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,610
    Of course I've lost my marbles, I'm a Chargers fan, remember?

:p

9. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,019
    This much we can agree on. :p

• Like Like x 1
  10. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,584
    Yeah no kiddin, maybe we should hire Nick Saban!

Oh...wait...:tdown:

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +629
    Marty like Norv like Andy. Big game fail trait.

I want a coach that has some success as a HC. Be it a Gruden type, a current NFL Coordinator that has HC experience at the college level(with success) or a current college HC.

No Wade or Nolan types. Had the chance and were not very good at it.