1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Announcement: New Stadium

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Crzyboy180, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Crzyboy180

Crzyboy180 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    Please check out the front page here at Bolttalk.com This is just starting up so check it out.

Hello Charger Fans,
    I would like to extend to all interested Charger Fans the opportunity to join us in a citizens group whose purpose is to keep the Chargers the San Diego Chargers.

The only way we see of keeping the Chargers here in San Diego is to get them the stadium facility they want, need, and deserve.

As part of this effort, a small number of individuals, tied together by their common love of the Chargers and San Diego, are organizing a citizens group dedicated to this goal. But we can't do it all on our own. We need your help.

Please think about what type of role you would like to play in this grass roots civic mobilization effort. It can be as simple as telling your friends and/or family about it, or as integral as designing and maintaining a website, organizing and maintaining a database of members and supporters, or sending letters and emails to government officials.

This is an invitation to an event we are planning to kick-start this effort, get to know each other, and have fun! Because this is all about continuing a tradition here in San Diego, a tradition of involvement and caring for our community, and having fun while we are at it.

• Like Like x 2
  2. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +106
    this might be a good sticky thread:yes: hey Mods what you think???:tup:

3. Crzyboy180

Crzyboy180 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks to the admins!. Check out the front Page, guys.
    What do you all think??
    Joe

4. Fire & Ice

Fire & Ice BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    This is fanTAStic! Hoping for a great turnout.

• Like Like x 1
  5. twilight15

twilight15 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    GO get 'em!!
    I wish I could do something but I'm stuck out here in the mid-west so...:abq2:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Yeah, bit of a drive from the east, too. If you need petition signers, I'm available. :yes: And whatever else I can accomplish from afar.

7. BayAreaCharger

BayAreaCharger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +109
    I want a new stadium. please...please...

• Like Like x 1
  8. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Not good.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/canepa/20080422-9999-1s22canepa.html

L.A. might have Bolts magnet

Should San Diego Chargers fans worry about Ed Roski Jr.? I'd say, yes, absolutely. He's not only a billionaire, he's not your everyday, nutty billionaire. Roski has a pedigree that does not include “rash.” He has a reputation of not doing things willy-nilly.

Last week, when Roski proposed building an $800 million NFL stadium on 600 acres of pre-zoned land he owns in the lovely City of Industry – about 20 miles east of L.A. – I wondered aloud: “What's in it for him?”

There could be something in it for him, even if it doesn't include ownership of the team – or even a smidgen. There could be plenty in it for him, no matter if every pie-in-the-sky stadium proposal that has come up since L.A. lost the NFL in 1994 has gone into the La Brea Tar Pits.
    And, of course, the Chargers immediately came to mind, because they're looking for new digs and can take off following the 2008 season. Do not rule that out.

The team may be looking at a few sites in Chula Vista and Spanos ownership has spent around $10 million to secure a spot in San Diego County, but while this area may be first on their list, they want a new stadium, and if they don't get one in Chula Vista, there will be suitors.

Quite possibly from Roski, who has business ties to the Spanos family, and things can be put together that won't hurt him very much. Football stadiums traditionally aren't making money unless the tenants own the team and the facility, but Roski is different.

He already owns those 600 acres, which have been zoned, and an environmental impact report has been done. Think about it. The Qualcomm Stadium property is 166 acres. Granted, its ground has more prime to it than City of Industry, but Southern California is Southern California.

It isn't likely Roski would get a piece of the team. The Spanoses aren't selling. I can't believe they'd even sell a piece, because owner Alex has promised he won't. If he sells 1 percent, he has lied.

But Roski may not need a percent of anything. And here's why.

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones is building a new billion-dollar stadium and reportedly will get up to $600 million in personal seat licenses. Now, if Roski can get, as suggested, $450 million from PSLs, and then another $150 million from the NFL for building a new stadium, add it up.

That's $600 million, and there are plans to build around that new palace in lovely City of Industry. Some of it could be developed as warehouse space, where Roski has made zillions, and warehouses fit in nicely in the City of Industry. There would be mixed-use development. Malls. An entertainment complex. You know.

Roski realizes he can't stick a shovel into the ground – which he hopes to do this fall and finish by 2011 – without a secure tenant. But he could know if the Chargers are available by then. In fact, he will know.

So the Chargers, lame ducks, would play in the Coliseum or the Rose Bowl, until it's done. Do not laugh.

By summer, we all will know if Chula Vista is going to work. The clock is running. This team could have a place to go.

There are obvious problems in California. The three oldest – and worst NFL stadiums – are in this state. But, when billionaires start throwing land and stadiums around as if they're condiments, well, eyebrows should be raised.

“I don't want to get into his stadium at this point,” says Mark Fabiani, who has been the Chargers' point man on new stadium issues here for six years. “A football stadium, by itself, doesn't pencil out (as a profit-maker), never has. But property has been known to increase in value from a stadium being there.”

Roski is smart enough to know that.

As I was told yesterday: “Don't short-change Roski.”

I don't know if I'm getting good vibes out of Chula Vista, and that's the last option around here, in that San Diego's City Hall has the spine of an invertebrate.

A whole lot of San Diegans don't trust the Spanoses, even though the family has thrown millions into staying here and has done its fiscal best to keep its team among the most talented in football.

My guess is that Roski probably trusts the family.

But the Chula Vista vibes bother me. We're going to know soon.

“I would have hoped this could have been settled long ago,” Fabiani says. “We're down to our last option.”

It all depends on what happens with the Gaylord labor project fiasco in Chula Vista, which could be decided soon, and whether the Chargers can be allowed to build on the preferable power plant bay front site there, or far east, where there is Ponderosa land but little infrastructure.

When asked, if he were a gambling man, what might happen in Chula Vista, Fabiani says:

“There's not enough information to make a smart bet. We're still trying. We're still spending money. We're open to ideas. But, in California, there are no 1lth-hour solutions.”

Unless the solution is Ed Roski Jr.

This development, I tell you, is not good. San Diego has to wake up and smell exhaust from the Bekins vans.

Ed Roski Jr. very well could be our Zola Budd.

• Like Like x 1
  9. -Scar-

-Scar- thedoomship.com

Ratings:
    +205
    Same Here I'm Stuck In Ohio

10. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Maybe I'm reading to much between the lines but, this doesn't look good.

http://www.chargers.com/news/headlines/q-a-with78878.htm

What’s the latest news regarding the Chargers’ efforts to build a stadium in San DiegoCounty?

“We’ve been at this now for more than six years, and we’ve devoted a tremendous amount of time and money to the effort. Right now, as you know, we’re concentrating all of our efforts on the last possible San Diego County sites. There are two sites that we’re potentially looking to build on. The one that seems to be the one that everybody is most interested in is the bay front site, where the power plant now sits. We’re really looking hard at that right now. We have studies underway. One is about the feasibility of that site and the other deals with how we could finance the project going forward. We’re hoping within the next two to three months these studies will be done and we can come to some resolve by the middle to the end of the summer as to whether it’s a viable location and we can proceed.

“There are two critical aspects, though, that we have no control over. One is the actual power plant and whether the city can get permission to close the plant down so we can build there. That’s probably the single most critical aspect right now. And the second critical aspect that we have no control over is the fate of the Gaylord project – our stadium project is unlikely to proceed until the Gaylord Project is decided one way or the other.”

With the news about Ed Roski planning to build a football stadium in Los Angeles, does that affect the Chargers’ stadium plans in San DiegoCounty?

“Ed Roski is a friend of mine. Our fathers were in the development business together, and we’ve talked about various development projects over the years. Ed has told me about his plans for a Los Angeles stadium. And I’ve told Ed that the Chargers’ focus continues to be in San Diego. We’ve tried very hard to work something out here. We weren’t successful in getting anything done in the City of San Diego. We then turned our attention to San Diego County. We’ve looked in National City and in Oceanside. We’re working with Chula Vista now, and we’re going to continue to look at our last two options in Chula Vista for as long as we can.”

• Like Like x 1
  11. KSBoltsFan

KSBoltsFan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    Everyone, no matter what state, can help by writing letters to the City Councils and Mayors in CV and San Diego, letting them know how much you would spend at the new stadium. Let them know how much SD is going to lose by not allowing it to happen in Mission Valley. A pointed letter to Mr. Aguirre, informing him that he's a complete J A C K A S S!!!, is a favorite of mine too. I've written a couple of those over the years...lol. Every little bit can help people. Please visit the websites in my sig and lend a hand. It's all appreciated and welcome. Thank you.

12. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I'm wondering if our politicians are taking this into consideration...
    If the Chargers leave San Diego, I don't see how they'll keep Qualcomm open (unless they really increase taxes.) There's no way any other events alone will bring in enough revenue (especially considering that land is worth up to a half billion dollars.)

Where will the Aztecs play? Petco Park? LA Coliseum? Or will the city (or county) fund a college football stadium?

13. y2craig

y2craig BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +37
    Well, personally, I would like to see the Bolts stay in San Diego.

Perhaps it is all politics and taxes, but if a stadium could be built for the Padres then why not the Bolts? Other cities like Seattle, Phoenix, Cincinnati and Pittsburgh have built dual stadiums.

Wishing you plenty of luck with the stadium. Hopefully something good happens soon.

14. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Did anyone see this?

http://www.examiner.com/a-1403564~Walcoff__Don_t_bet_on_Eddie_D__buying_Rams.html

I think this is bullshit how they keep bringing up the Chargers as the team to move to LA, when there is nothing but speculation on the part of the article writer to back up what he's saying.

15. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I heard this repeated on our local Clear Channel syndicated talk show just the other day. :tdown:

16. KSBoltsFan

KSBoltsFan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3

I keep hearing "I wish I could do something".

You can. Write to the Mayor of Chula Vista and the Council Members. Tell them how much you spend on a trip to the game from the midwest. Tell them how much they'll miss out on if this opportunity is wasted. Write to the ******** Aguirre and tell him what a waste of life he is. Join the citizen groups and spread the word around town....wherever that is. You CAN do something.....something is better than nothing....right?

Hook 'em up with your opinion....and reel 'em in like a bass!!

• Like Like x 2