1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

"Another big departure coming"

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Sydalish, Mar 13, 2010.

1. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Rivers had the highest YDS/Attempt in the NFL last year, this while Jackson averaged less than 3 yards after the catch and Floyd had less than 2. I would have to guess that they Rivers was doing a lot more than 3 step drops

2. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Exactly!!! He's got millions of dollars. If your license is suspended... take a cab or limo to the game!

Well you figure he's looking at a 4 games suspension this season since he did plead guilty to his second DUI. Hopefully that will force him to freakin' grow up!!!

3. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Y.A.C. but "no" it was not all done on hot reads.

We have no starting RT and a REAL big maybe between Clary and Ski-bros. Depth on the O-line is scary non-existant. Hardwick's feet are kindling and he is pushed around by anyone fatter than him. The D-Line is a mess with all the ham and eggers and hopefully Castillo stays healthy and shows something worthy of his pick. Trenches are the BIGGEST need on this team. RB's are a dime a dozen and next year could have been done by Bennett who the Bolts released.

4. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,923
    Trumpy's right that the line needs help.

I just don't agree with him that we need to fix this hole by creating another one. (Getting rid of one of PR's two main targets)

5. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,923
    I won't disagree here.

I've never understood why millionaires insist on drinking and driving when they can easily afford to pay someone else to drive for them.

Hell, I'd do it just for the convenience because I can, never mind trying to stay out of trouble.

6. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,703
    BINGO

7. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Stats can be used in many different ways to make a point.

Remember Stan Humphries ?

Great long ball stats (actually a pretty long ball) and a career ending series of concussions to go along with those stellar stats.

Trenches.

8. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    VJ averaged less than 3 YAC and Floyd averaged less than 2 , Gates was AWESOME at nearly 6, but VJ and Floyd had really bad YAC averages

9. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +87
    DB, do your research on Jackson's history, and you will find out why his nickname used to be Vincent "YAC-son" :icon_tease:

10. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I agree as well, but those who heard AJ on XX Radio last week will know that he said he is 100% confident in our current o-line, so I don't expect anything to happen on the current line except maybe some depth

11. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,923
    Whether or not I think we need help on the OL and whether or not I think AJ plans on getting us help on the OL are two different conversations.

12. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Why is it a hole all of a sudden ?

If Legadu steps up and we get a lineman in return to plug a hole I see it as a net gain. Who is to say Buster Davis does not step up or anyone else like Malcolm Floyd ? Hell, we could rent a vet if we needed just the way have in the past.

Trenches.

If the trenches are not right - we are all just stroking the sha-lay-lee.

• Like Like x 1
  13. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Follow the conversation. He said our oline's pass blocking was horrible, leading to Rivers getting rid of the ball quick. I pointed out that Rivers had the highest yards per throw average in the NFL, and with VJ and Floyd having such low YAC, it points out that Rivers was doing a lot more than 3 step drops and quick passes.

I wasn't saying they weren't capable of more YAC, just that they didn't have high YAC last season.

Get it now? Or do I need to explain a little more in depth?

14. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    True, I also feel we need a new RT and RG, both of which who can run block. But AJ doesn't see things the same way, so arguing over drafting on early or trading for one just seems pointless.

15. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    Do you guys really think it'd be a good idea to trade our young Pro Bowl receiver for some more draft picks? That would just create a need at WR and we'd have to draft a WR. The only guy capable of doing the job would be Demaryius Thomas, a big, tall guy from Georgia Tech who averages 19 yards per catch... The only good situation would be trading VJack for a high 1st and 3rd, drafting Spiller with the high 1st, drafting Demaryuis Thomas with our 28th pick, and using the rest for the other needs. Otherwise I say hell no to trading VJack.

16. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    I said the same thing about John Jefferson (I hated that day with a passion when he got traded) and then we got Wes Chandler who was every bit as good.

17. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    So you're ready to throw Vasquez in the crapper after his rookie year?

Child please .... :lol:

RT could use attention, but Clary wasn't as bad as many portray. I was on his *** at the start of the season but he had as good or better games as the rest of the guys many weeks.

I like Hardwick's experience with calling the blocking schemes, but he's had a lot of injuries & does get his somewhat light *** pushed around. Unfortunately, there's not a lot at center this year in the draft that would be an improvement here.

As for VJ .... yeah, he needs to grow up but I don't think that you can just toss a guy like him aside. He & PR have a good rapport. Again .... WR is a little top-heavy in the draft. You may feel that getting a 1&3 for him would be a good deal, but wR isn't a position that very often pays immediate dividends.

Right or wrong, I don't expect AJ to pay too much attention to the OL this year. Maybe a a tackle prospect when we garner an extra 3rd, but not much beyond that.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Chargerfn909

Chargerfn909 High and tight kid, high and tight!

Ratings:
    +34
    My name is Chargerfn909, and I approve this message.

:tup::icon_toast:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Chargerfn909

Ratings:
    +34
    I don't think so, if AJ purges much more we are damn near in "re-building mode" however most teams that are rebuilding do not have the most important piece of the puzzle, a QB in which we have a great one.

If this is my team I may do some more purging but it would include coaches. With our current talent I do not see us doing all that.

Draft heavy D, get a serviceable RB and work on the damn CHEMISTRY in the locker room, that's the MOST important thing for this team right now.

20. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,723

Yards Per Catch, does not include YAC yards. When Vjack averages 17.8ypc, thats yards the ball travels in the air before he makes the catch. The only way to do that is to run long developing routes, meaning 5 and 7 step drops that require the O-line to block A LOT.

I agree we need upgrades at NT and RT, but some of the moves your suggesting are nonsense, we're not about to blow this thing up and rebuild .

21. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,723
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/weblogs/bolts-blog/2010/mar/14/whitehurst-and-other-rfa-news/

Interesting.

22. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
  23. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,723
    I agree, I would like for Merriman to get healthy and explode back onto the scene this year, and I think its possible.

That said, I don't think AJ likes him or wants to pay a guy like that a monster contract. And if he has no future here I'd love to get a 1st round pick for him.

Vjack I would not trade under any circumstance, unless he gets a mind blowing deal (like 10mil a year) from someone that we can't match.

24. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    There's definitely an ego clash between AJ & Merriman. And I don't think that Shawne is all that invested in remaining a Charger. Football player yes, but not necessarily here.

I could see him back in his home area to Washington or Baltimore or even headed to the bright lights of NY with the Jets.

Maybe he'd get another opportunity to kick Cromartie's ***. :icon_twisted:

25. SDDon

SDDon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    What about the numbers. In 2007 the defense gave up 17.8 PPG which was 4th in the league that year.

AS bad as you make the defense out to be and the much better numbers of the Front 7 in 2006 the REALITY is that defense gave up 18.9 PPG or 1.1 PPG more.

You can object to the style of Ted's scheme but the results for 2007 are fact. Now with Meriman out in 2008 Ted's scheme fell apart and that is why Norv went in a different direction.

26. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +87
    Correlation is not causation.

Merriman being out had absolutely no bearing on why the team dropped off in 2008 compared to 2007. I think Cromartie's inability to duplicate 2007 was the main reason, with the 100+ times targetted.

27. Chargerfn909

Ratings:
    +34
    There is, and I am getting close to being OVER AJ and his punk *** ego. Dude has ran out some good players/coaches because of that ego.

He needs to know when to run someone off and when to sit back and watch them ball.

28. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +448
    My point about losing Merriman is that I want something decent for losing him in return. For too long we have been using this compensatory pick rubbish. For me it does not adequately compensate the team losing the player. It follows that if we can trade a player for something decent then do it.

For example we should have traded Michael Turner. There is also an argument that we should have bitten the bullet and traded LT instead at that time and kept the Burner.

Merrimans stock is low right now. Yes if he has a proper 'lights out' 2010 things change dramatically and the option to franchise him is there.

29. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    No, but I am all for getting another player to push him to improve his horrible run blocking. Competition brings the best out of everyone.

30. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Ted wasn't the reason for those improvements, the maturing of the players was. Look at the #'s and you will see we have up less yardage and TD's in the air under Wade in 06 than we did under Ted in 07. The point diff you listed came on the ground. Ted's pass defense wasn't as good, and that was a result in having a horrible pass rush, which was a result of dropping the OLB's into coverage instead of going after the QB like they did under Wade