1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Another Fargin' Ex-Colt

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Chaincrusher, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    It looks like we just signed yet another ex-Colt. This time it is TE Sean McGrath.

I wish our GM had another page to his GM playbook other than, "We need someone so let's see who has played for the Colts recently."

2. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    Why? The Colts seem to fit the model of the Chargers are going for: a team that lacks any physical presence in the trenches and thrives by building up "weapons" around them to bolster the team's paper reputation, so it makes sense to pick pieces off of their scrapheap.

Although I have to at least give the Colts some credit; those rookie DTs are a bright spot for a team that lacks offensive direction.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Bonzi Jones

Bonzi Jones BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +84
    SMFH... WTF is this dude doing? Do we not scout else where? Do we not get the bright idea, like hey, IDK this guy, but he comes from a physical team so lets give him a shot. No, we go to the team everyone knows have a soft O and soft D aura around them. FML

4. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    Lol who cares..

We should be signing Chris Matthews. Take a flier on the guy, who could potentially be a great fit and replacement for Malcolm Floyd. I think he would benefit having Rivers as his QB and also be a fit in this offense.

We have 3 healthy WRs. Floyd hasn't hit IR yet, because they most likely want him to play towards the end of this (his last) year. I don't think we should be carrying only 3 healthy WRs if you want to do that.

5. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    He is big, but he is not a consistent threat to stretch the field as he is fairly slow (4.57). I do not see him as the long term answer to Floyd, but I like him as a reserve player over the likes of Herndon.

I am concerned that if we were to add him, we would be approaching a critical mass in terms of slow WRs with Allen, Johnson and Matthews all being slow (for an NFL WR). It would be great if we could get 2 or 3 guys that could stretch the field to open things up a little more for Rivers in the short passing game. When Floyd leaves, our only half way decent deep threat will be gone.

The guy that could replace Floyd very effectively, Alshon Jeffery, will probably be re-signed or franchise tagged by the Bears. And the WRs in the 2016 draft really suck as a group by comparison to the WRs in the last two drafts (naturally, since we now need one).

In the end, though, I am not sure it matters with our current GM. He just lacks the vision necessary to assemble and maintain a team with superior talent as evidenced by his repeated failure to keep good players (creating roster holes), overpaying for players, wasting draft picks, and acquiring lesser players when better options existed. He needs to learn that the answer is not to be found by signing a bunch of cast-offs from the Colts.

6. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +942
    You and your 40 times..

Guess you banged the table for Tevin Reese then..

7. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,415
    I wish our armchair GMs had another page in their playbook other than "Let's see if this player we just signed/traded for/drafted fits my perception of our GM's agenda or not".

Perhaps looking at the merits of the individual, perhaps?

8. Bonzi Jones

Bonzi Jones BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +84
    Reese didnt work out but it was worth the flyer on him especially when we picked him up. Fact Chargers have slow receivers that do not stretch the field or make defenses say, hey, lets not leave this guy 1 on 1 with no safety help or we may need to play off coverage against him. We need to find a receiver that has speed to compliment what we have.

Sh*t just look at our defense everytime an offense moves a RB out wide vs our slower LBs. I go ok, our safety is bating that deep throw because we know our LB core cant cover that guy 1 on 1 in man coverage. Just having the speed helps dictact what a defense feels comfortable doing against you. Speed isnt everything, but lets stop pretending that it doesnt matter.

As far as just having 3 healthy WRs makes no sense to me. Last game having 4 WR made no sense to me either when your #1 TE is Gates was gonna be playing hurt and your #2 who has been battling injuries was also banged up so it should have been even more of a reason to have another WR available to use. But I'm no coach and logic obviously isn't a necessary quality when getting your setting your 46 on gameday.

9. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    I am not sure why you appear to think that having the slowest group of WRs in the NFL is helpful. It gives defenses all kinds of freedoms (single coverage, less concern about putting a safety in the box, compacting the defense in the short zones, et cetera) that they would not have if they had to contend with a fast WR or multiple fast WRs.

I thought Reese was worth a flier in the 7th round because we needed and still need a speedy WR to complement the rest of what we have.

It doesn't mean that every WR that is fast is automatically an NFL player. The player should also be competent at running routes, making moves and being able to catch the ball consistently. Good run blocking is a plus too.

10. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    They player just signed sucks. That is why he was not in the NFL mid season when we signed him.

Maybe it is just me, but I think the GM's approach should not involve extensive recruitment from the Colts' player dumpster.

I think my comments do describe the merits of the kinds of players we have been getting from the Colts' player dumpster.

11. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,415
    Maybe it's just me but I don't think you're going to find anyone who's that good mid-season.

12. Bonzi Jones

Bonzi Jones BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +84
    Maybe, maybe not, but the tendency to hit up the Colts need to stop. Also it wouldn't exactly have been the position that I would want to address first. It also doesn't take away from the fact that maybe we could try to acquire a player that might bring something / anything to the team other than a resume as an ex-colt player. Hell if we love the colts so much we should have tried to trade with them and try to grab one of their players that can actually contribute something towards the NFL.

13. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,415
    You're not going to find anyone that's going to excite you in any way mid-season.

I'm not a big Telesco fan but I'm not going to nitpick a guy for some mid-season scrap signing either. If they didn't suck they'd already be employed.

14. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    The issue is that Telesco seems to have an unproductive and irrational affinity for ex-Colts.

The concern is that he is not exploring all of his options in a satisfactory fashion. If he were, it seems statistically unlikely that he would come up with so many ex-Colts to add to our team.

It is an indication that he may not be doing his job properly. That seems kind of relevant.

15. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,415
    Well, you can fret over mid-season scrap signings. I'll focus on the transactions that matter.

16. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +942
    Just to be clear, never said we don't need to add speed to our WR corps. I've actually been campaigning Telesco to add speed to the position since 2013.

But, glad Tyrell Williams was signed to the 53. Great move, kid has ridiculous measurables. If you want size and ridiculous burst, Williams is that guy and I won't be surprised if he's thrown out there Sunday and gets some looks.

17. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    I thought of the Bolts when I read this snippet regarding Nick Foles:

"The big issue with Foles in the past has been his inability to handle pressure in the pocket. This was demonstrated most clearly in Philadelphia, when in his breakout year he enjoyed an almost entirely clear pocket (119.2 QBR, 0.6% INT rate ), then in his second regressed heavily following injuries and instability on that line (81.4 QBR, 3.2% INT rate). In St. Louis, where offensive line instability is the legacy of a generation, Foles has had “happy feet” in the pocket and hasn’t found any comfort going through his reads."

You can draw many conclusions from this:

--Rivers, despite an unstable offensive line, is a premier QB in this league, and it is no coincidence that he has looked worthy of the same tier as the truly elite when the O-line has been fortified and cohesive.

--A good O-line will boost all skill position players, especially if it can make Nick Foles look like a franchise QB and Shady McCoy look like he is on the same level as AP.

--Hindering the opposing offense starts with attacking the opposing O-line. Having a decent secondary does little when the QB's uniform barely gets dirty. Pass rushers outside of outlier individual efforts will only disrupt the QB if the pocket is constantly under attack.

But ultimately, these points boil down to one paragraph:

Telesco has neglected the 2 most important parts of a winning organization, the two lines. Our O-line makes our skill position players worse, our D-line makes opposing skill position players better (Bortles performing at the level of Rivers, anyone?), and when that happens, the entire team under-performs its talent level simply because they have no chance to play to their strengths.

Although the way McCoy utilizes the offense, he actually makes the problem even worse.

18. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    I agree that Williams has the physical attributes to take over for Floyd as the speed WR on the outside. His measurables (and you already know that I like those) are very good.

But I think he's in the "don't count your chickens category" more so than the typical newly drafted player. While I realize that Floyd was also an UDFA, I think there are reasons why a player ends up as an UDFA that are often other than "everybody screwed up" in the draft.

So, I certainly wouldn't mind us adding another big, fast WR in addition to Williams. That way, if Williams does not pan out as we are all hoping he does, we have another option as the starter opposite Allen. And if Williams does pan out, we would have quality depth in case of an injury (which our team has seen its fair share of in recent years).

I would also like to see us add a Royal type player (quick and fast) to the roster to give us a more explosive option out of the slot.

Right now, I think the WR position is typical of the problem that I see throughout the roster where we simply lack physical talent.

I am not suggesting that a player that lacks raw attributes cannot succeed. I think Keenan Allen is a good example of a player that has done well despite a lack of speed. But that is because he excels in other areas (quick moves to gain separation early, good hands).

But it is a bad idea in my opinion to compile, with a few exceptions only, a roster full of players that are generally not as big/strong/fast/athletic as the players on other teams against whom we are trying to compete. And I do see our present FO as being guilty of that.

I think our lack of talent has now reached the point at which we are outside of the built in margin of error that a historically great QB like Rivers affords us with respect to not having the best talent surrounding him. That's why we can't win games even with Rivers.