1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Another Interesting Question

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I sat at work this morning drinking my cup of liquid energy when it hit me. Players come and players go. Some fans orbit around their favorite players like a chunk of space debris orbiting a celestial body. So which player has brought in the most new fans? Which draft choice this year will bring in the most new fans?

Flutie, brought in Flutopians as some came to call them. Seau brought in fans with him, Rivers brought in nearly three states worth of fans. Fans who come to like the bolts but in all honesty love their players.

So my question is this. Which player has brought in the most fans. Recently it was Rivers, but did Rivers bring in as many as Johnny Unitas brought in?

What causes someone to orbit their player from team to team, and which player has the most debris about him. Current day, recent past or long, long time ago in a stadium far, far away….

Lets hear (or more accurately READ) what you think…

2. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    5 DAYS...

Will you be there???

3. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    This post dioesnt answer the stated question. But to answer; does LT score TDs in Oakland?

4. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    my questions better....:yes:

we'll see who are the REAL fans come Saturday...:bolt:

• Like Like x 1
  5. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +288

Man Love :yes: :tounge: :nana_love:

6. PhillyChargerFan

Ratings:
    +288

I'm a real fan and I can't make it :tdown: :no:

7. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    OK, I can see this thread is circling the drain already. Question retracted. Mods. send it to lockdown hell...

:lol:

8. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    just takes one post, from a single minded, selfish bolt fan... :yes:

9. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    git onna plane...

10. PhillyChargerFan

Ratings:
    +288

Yeah, I can stay with Conc :tup: :yes:

:icon_rofl:

11. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    :yes:

Sure!

12. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    question.........

[​IMG]

answer..........

:icon_beer:

:thumbup:

13. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    As far as guys on the current roster I have to give the greatest amount of credit to LT. I think he has done the most to getting us back to being a winning organization. And so many fans in SD are of the "fair weather" variety that without a winning record you lose most your support. So while LT might not be everyones favorite player, were it not for him, there would be fewer people paying attention and thereby having favorite players. Rivers brough in a lot of new fans. Merriman, I'm sure, has a huge following of third year groupies. But without LT most of San Diego doesn't know or care enough to learn anybodys name.

As far as this years draft class I'll be surprised if any of these guys come close to garnering the public admiration shown to guys like Gates, Rivers, LT, and Merriman. Laypeople, generally, aren't enamored with defensive players. Unless one of the rookie LBs comes out and out performs Merriman :)lol:) I don't think anybody will even notice them. Weddle has the potential to be a gamebreaker, but only time will tell if/when that's going to happen.

So the only guy with half a chance to become a fan favorite is Craig Davis. He's a WR so he might actually touch the ball a couple times a game. And he's got wheels so he could have some very exciting moments on the field. I don't think he's going to be anybody's top 5 fav player by the end of the year, but he has the best chance of the new additions.

14. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    I know that this is going to sound strange but here is my opinions on why a person would orbit around certain players.

I as a kid growing up started to watch College football on the TV. In the early 70's to mid 70's there was a guy that was Drafted by the Chargers that I fell in love with as a player when he was in college that still today I can see him play just one game in college that cemmented my fanatic love for the guy is Woodrow (Woody) Lowe in a tackle he gave to a RB that slips my mind his name from Georgia that took the RB off his feet from a sprint. I thought as a kid what a tackle and made me a big fan of football after that. I became a big fan of Woody's from then on for the tackle.

I was hoping when the draft happened that the Chargers would pick Woody and they did in the 5th round of the 1976 Draft. He played 10 years for us as well.

So for me it was just one play that made me a big fan of a certain player but in others it might be a careers worth of plays or the personalities of the player that makes a big fan of a certain player.

This includes certain schools programs as well.

Barry Switzer brought Oklahoma University to National recognition when he was there as a coach. I was also a fan of his because of his coaching style again when I watched him from the TV. He just knew how to motivate his players like no coach I have seen in the College ranks at that time. It was his Career as a coach that made me a big fan of his. I was for a time a little bit of a Dallas Cowboy fan because of Barry Switzer but I could not be a huge fan because I dispise the Cowboys. I was only a Barry Switzer fan. I wanted him to succeed. I was rewarded in 1996 when he won the Super Bowl in 1996.

That is another way that a person can be a big fan of a certain player or coach in my opinion.

So there you have my opinions of how a person can be a big fan of a certain player but I added a coach as well.

15. 17Rocks

17Rocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +135
    As far as players go I think that Mossy Cade did more to bring fans to the Chargers than any player in Chargers history...:rolleyes2:

16. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    :icon_huh:

You do realize, dont you, that the Chargers do not wear green, and do not reside in Wisconsin?

17. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86

Check out our 1st round (#6 overall) pick of the 1984 draft.

18. 17Rocks

17Rocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +135

First round pick that jumped to the USFL:icon_evil:

turned out to suck, by the way...:icon_twisted:

just tryin' to be facetious, or as you would say faseshus...:icon_tease:

19. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    White players are more likely to bring fans from college to their new pro team.

So my first guess would be Eric Weddle.

20. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    well, Craig Davis will not bring many LSU fans to the Chargers, I think most of them will be rooting for Russell in Oakland or Landry in Washington or even Bowe in KC

So maybe Weddle brings Utah fans.

21. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    That's an interesting statement. Care to elaborate? :icon_huh:

22. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    :icon_eek: You just had to ask didn't you? :icon_tease:

23. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    I am anxiously awaiting TKs reply... :yes:

24. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    He's a longhorn. That's what they do. :icon_toast:

I think TK was saying white people are more likely to be nut huggers. I'm offended. :flag:

25. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    There have been some players that bring in the fans, and of course I've gotta go with LT for now and the forseable future. I see way more LT jerseys even up here. But I also think there are players that drive fans to other teams. Like TO or something. People will be like "I hate that jerkoff so much I hope he loses every game!" and they just sort of gravitate to a rival or something. Anyway, when I was a little kid, I hated John Elway and all things to do with Co, as well as a natural dispostion to dislike the Turds, so I ended up being a charger fan. Weird.

26. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    SCIFRES!

27. HeatMiser

HeatMiser BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    I think you are right that the current player who brought the most fans with him is Rivers. Folks in the south who could care less about the Chargers now watch the games and root for them because of Philip. Flutie also brought a lot of (ehem, annoying, ehem) fans with him.

Castillo may be in the same class, as he brings some latin support. Fonoti brought the Samoan fans, but then he ate them all, so that doesn't count.

I can't think of anyone else. LT is beloved, but most of that happened after he joined the Chargers and not before.

28. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979

Ohhhh Carry on then! :lol:

29. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I am not sure I agree that color has any impact. I work with people from Vick's school who became instant Falcon fans.

LT brought some fans over. I would say position has more impact than color ever would.

30. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    So long as it does not call down the tyraids of the evengelist Trumpet_Man on the injustices of race.