1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Another Reason To Respect A.J.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Gridreaper, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    While the Jets have generated excitement by acquiring four big-money players, some of the team's returning veterans are looking at the bundles of cash and wondering, "When do I get mine? You pay guys you don't even know, and the guys in the locker room - the guys that have your back - you don't give a damn about them," one player said Tuesday, speaking on the condition of anonymity. "It shows where the loyalty is.

...A.J. takes care of the guys who busted their tails as Bolts first. If they have the character and other desireable traits that he embraces...he is loyal to them first with contract extensions. I love this about Mr. Smith....this is a team and a family in his eyes.:tup:

2. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I'm just wondering what kind of contracts guys like Merriman and Rivers are going to get. Dean better break out the checkbook for those guys. Not to mention Igor and Cro in the near future. But A.J. and Dean will find a way. Take care of Merriman this season. I think he's going to get in that 100 Million club. Same goes for Cro. Man, it's just ridiculous how much these guys get paid.

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    Let's see him lock some of these big guns up
    He locked up LT and Gates in 04/05, primarily after that its been role players (important though). If AJ doesn't come up with someway to get these guys signed big time, then in 09/10 we are not going to be much different hten the Patriots are now

4. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Phillips, Jammer, Williams, Dielman aren't role players. AJ has shown he's willing to pay top money for guys he thinks deserves it, but he can't control anyone from having extreme demands, well over their worth.

5. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    They'll get signed. Ed Mcguire and AJ have been planning these resignings for awhile, and they won't let all of our big fish get away.

6. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I agree with locking up Rivers and Merriman this off season.
    We'll talk to Igor and Cromati next off season.

7. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Very true. The FO will offer deals that are fair for the players AND the future of the team, but no one is indispensable if their demands become too absurd. While I would hate to lose Merriman, Phillips, PR, Cro, etc., you must also think about the future of the franchise. Hopefully all of our guys love being in SD, as Chargers, & will be willing to structure their contracts accordingly.

8. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I think Rivers will be negociable. When you have all that talent surrounding you, you want to stay. Unless he pulls a Peyton Manning but he's not in a situation to demand that (yet.)

It would be very stupid for us not to get him locked in. If we had no intentions to keep him here, we should have signed Brees long term and put Rivers up for trade.

9. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I'd like to believe we have the kind of players that know how well they have it. What more could you ask for, great city, best weather in the nation. You can afford to live where you want, there are many things to do when the family comes in, and you play for an upper tiered team.

I would sign for a few less bucks to live and call paradise my home. Then again that's just me and I grew up there.

10. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I think we do. It seems that everybody on our team wants to stay here.
    Players like Neil and Florance didn't want to take the back seat. I can respect that. Anyone on the starting roster probably will be willing to negociate as long as the Chargers don't low ball them.

11. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    Dielman took 10 mil less to stay in SD. I dunno about the rest of the roster, but I think there's something that will make them want to stay. We got a lot of good players, and I don't think we'll be able to keep them all, but we got them through the draft and I have to trust that we'll continue to draft well and replace guys as they move on. It's just the nature of the NFL. And we're nothing like the Patriots. They paid a lot of vets and FA's to come on board for less money to win a championship, we built this team from the ground up and should continue to do so. I hope.

12. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

FOLLOW ME.

I AM THE WAY.

I AM YOUR SALVATION.

I AM YOUR DADDY