1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Another safety hits the market

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, Feb 20, 2009.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Gibril Wilson was released by the Raiders

I actually like him, I think he'd be a great addition at SS and was outstanding with the Giants. Even with the Raiders he did very well for himself.

Scouting report for Wilson
    2008 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.
    Grade: 76 | Key
    Alert: None

Comment: Wilson is a starting FS with a good combination of size, speed and quickness. He is a good athlete for the FS position. He has developed into a solid frontline player with a strong upside. He is a tough player with a good competitive demeanor and has some size and athletic skills for the position. He shows good anticipation, looks to communicate calls on the backend and he has an upright pedal with good transitional skills. However, he has some stiffness when opening his hips while getting depth in deep zones, but does have good recovery quickness and speed. Wilson can also plant and re-align his hips and feet, while closing on underneath routes. He has the ability to match up in man-to-man situations versus TE in coverage. He showed good ball skills and can make plays in space. He shows good awareness in deep zones and as a run defender, he is a physical downhill player who can be effective versus the run. He has good anticipation and downhill speed while running the alleys and maintaining leverage over the ball carrier. He plays under control as an open-space tackler. He is an aggressive tackler who attacks the ball carrier. Overall, Wilson is a good-sized free safety who attacks plays going downhill. He is a sure tackler who has excellent measurables and a great nose for the ball.

2. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Yeah, he was a stud in New York and playing for the Raiders pretty much drains talent while there. I think he could definitely be an upgrade at either safety position for the Chargers.

• Like Like x 1
  3. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    If the price is right, go get him.

4. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    +1

:tup:

5. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    That is the problem, the performance doesn't justify the price - even for evil Al who signed Wilson to a relatively big contract just last year..

6. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    I dont know, i just dont think hes all that good

7. Bolts 74'

Bolts 74' BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    I say go after him,but A.J won't sped alot on a free agent we all know that.So if the price is right he could work,plus it's a hole we need to fill.

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Well yeah 6yrs/$30 million is insane BUT we won't give him that much and if he WANTS that much, then he can KMA. But he could be had reasonably and if so he'd be a good running mate with Weddle. But yeah at $5mil/year he'd have to be Reed/Polamalu and there's only two of them :icon_tease:

9. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    I like him, I think he and Weddle might be real good together. mo need to pay him Sweatsuit Al money tho

10. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    If the price is reasonable, Gibril might be a really good fit for us as a replacement for Hart. He is more athletic....and more importantly, more physical....than either Hart or Weddle....He is a sound tackler and hitter....We need more of that on our defense...an upgrade at Safety and MLB would do wonders for this defense.