1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Another step forward for Merriman

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Aug 16, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Feb 7, 2006

Casey Pearce
    Posted Aug 16, 2009

Saturday’s preseason opener provided the first opportunity in 11 months for Shawne Merriman to take the football field for game action.
    Saturday’s preseason opener provided the first opportunity in 11 months for Shawne Merriman[​IMG] to take the football field for game action.
    Body: Linebacker Shawne Merriman was the last player out of the tunnel Saturday night for pregame introductions, and when he emerged, he delivered an emotion-filled “Lights Out Dance” that brought the crowd of 58,373 to a roar and got Merriman’s juices flowing.
    “I was excited tonight for a bunch of different reasons,” Merriman said. “I’ve been away from the game for a long time now so it brought back a lot of emotions. As soon as I saw the smoke coming from the tunnel it brought back a lot of things.”
    The Chargers’ preseason opener marked the first time in 11 months that Merriman had participated in a live football game. It was another step in his recovery from reconstructive knee surgery, and the fifth-year pro felt like things clicked for him right away.
    “We went into pregame warm ups and, ‘Bam!’ everything just hit me again,” Merriman said. “I always look at playing football like riding a bike. You’re never going to forget, and it came quickly to me.”
    Like most of the starters on defense, Merriman played three series against the Seahawks. He was credited with one tackle as Seattle, by coincidence or not, ran away from him most of the night. The three-time Pro Bowler gave a modest review of his performance.
    “I played alright,” Merriman said. “When I watch the film I’ll see little things I can maybe do a little bit better – react a little faster. I’m always looking for the smaller things to get better at.”
    After leaving the field, Merriman iced his surgically-repaired left knee but was optimistic about his physical condition.
    “It feels pretty good,” Merriman said. “I’m sure I’ll wake up tomorrow and be sore. I didn’t play very much but hopefully next game I’ll watch it increase a little bit.”

Big workload
    Defensive end Vaughn Martin[​IMG] played more than any Charger Saturday night, and his three full quarters of action gave him a great first taste of NFL football.
    “I learned a ton,” Martin said. “Just getting to be in that environment with my coaches and all, it was great. It was something to build on.”

With Jacques Cesaire[​IMG] and Ryon Bingham[​IMG] out with injuries, Martin started the game and played through the end of the third quarter. Head Coach Norv Turner said Martin would have played a lot regardless of the status of his top two right ends simply because the former Canadian college football star needs the work.
    “Vaughn has not got a lot of experience playing football,” Turner said. “He’s a talented guy that the more reps he can get, the better chance he’s going to have to help us. We’re probably trying to get three or four college games in this preseason out of him.”
    Turner believes the game experience will prove invaluable for Martin.
    “He’s got very good physical skills,” Turner said. “He’s just getting where he can recognize. I knew he’d be winded early. At the end of pregame warm ups, he looked like he’d played about three quarters. Can you imagine the feeling he had? He was excited when we came out for Thursday practice with 13,000 people.”

Big night
    Turner knew going into Saturday that there would be a young player or two that stood out, and rookie receiver Charly Martin[​IMG] proved to be that has he led all receivers with five receptions for 67 yards.
    “He’s a very good receiver,” Turner said. “He’s got very good hands. He runs good routes.”
  2. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Jul 24, 2008
    It was great to see "Lights Out" take the field again. I am looking forward to seeing English out there and how he does when Merriman drives the plays his way.

I also enjoyed watching Gregory and Ellison blowing guys up in the second half...I have got to watch the replay on those hits. Burnett looked good and Vaughn Martin looked like he was holding his own out there. Good hustle by Applewhite coming up with the pick at the end of that tip drill.

No sacks, only one pick...basically, their scrubs beat our scrubs. I did see a lot to be excited about going forward and I am not aware of any major injuries. On to Arizona!

Go Chargers!
  3. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Aug 3, 2006
    The only thing ever gotten out of preseason games is wasted money from the fans-that and the names of a few guys to watch. Charly would be one of them. Whitehurst might be another-as he disappears into the sunset, arm and arm with Davis. We will be just fine when the gun goes off for the first quarter of the first game.