1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Anschutz selling AEG?...... potential LA stadium setback

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Anschutz’s interest in selling AEG could derail NFL’s L.A. plans
    Posted by Mike Florio on September 18, 2012, 10:20 PM EDT

At a time when the NFL’s potential return to Los Angeles seems to be closer than at any time since the Rams and Raiders left town a generation ago, the man behind the effort to build a new stadium in downtown Los Angeles could be unloading the company that would be building the stadium.

According to Reuters, Phillip Anschutz is considering selling AEG, that company that has been pushing to bring the NFL back to L.A. It reportedly would sell for several billion dollars.

While AEG could still spearhead the project, the new owner of the company would have a strong say in such important strategic matters. In the interim, there’s a chance that AEG will pull the plug on a potential money pit.

Meanwhile, Ed Roski has a shovel-ready project in the City of Industry. But the NFL still doesn’t seem to care about that.

2. BoltWalt

BoltWalt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +68
    Sounds like one down one more still to kill.

3. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +268
    Doubtful the NFL is going to end up in the City of Industry.

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    But OMG something is being built in LA and they're super serial and the Chargers are going to move and and and......

I'm seriously at the point when the next great crisis comes from LA, I won't bat an eyelash until there's a shovel in the ground

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    I know I fell into that LA pit. I should have known better

6. SayOw

SayOw BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +50
    I don't think AEG would have ever attracted a NFL franchise...part of their deal was that who ever moved to LA had to sell 49% of the team to AEG ... not too many owners would line up to give away close to half of their team and profits...

7. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    AEG’s NFL plans are expected to proceed, despite looming sale of company
    Posted by Mike Florio on September 19, 2012, 9:40 AM EDT

The fact that billionaire Philip Anschutz is interested in selling AEG necessarily raises questions regarding AEG’s ongoing pursuit of an NFL stadium in downtown L.A.

According to the Los Angeles Times, the plans are expected to proceed.

That’s no surprise. After all, the next owner may wantthose plans to proceed. But let’s be realistic. If whoever ponies up the pennies to purchase AEG decides not to try to do business with a sports league that has amassed tremendous bargaining power — and always uses it — then the plans won’t proceed.

For those with AEG who want to finish what they started, the challenge will be to push forward aggressively, making the completion of the deal a foregone conclusion. The wildcard, then, becomes whether and to what extent Anschutz will tap the brakes on this specific aspect of his eventually-to-be-former sports empire.

Regardless, the news of a potential sale by Anschutz does nothing to make the construction of Farmers Field more likely.

8. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    The Spanos/Perry Group is buying AEG with Texas oil money. :roflmao:

9. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Not T. Boone Pickens with a shitload of natural gas? ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    Florio and PFT can go hug a nut. Those jaggoffs pounce on every chance to bag SD and everyone of its fans. PFT likes to dish out the ish but they sure Can't take it. I used to enjoy that site but it's too National Enquirer for me now.

11. BoltWalt

BoltWalt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +68
    Has T. Boone been eating beans again?

12. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    Helloooo? why do people imediately feel that becuase AEG is for sale that its a bad thing for AEG? Also, part of a LA stadium deal and any other deals in the works are most likely part of the companies estimated worth. In other words, a sale would'nt slow down any deal as long as it would take to change the adress and company names on paperwork.