1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Anteater's Impressions - vs Bears Pre-Season

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, Aug 14, 2010.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    1. We have a RUNNING GAME FINALLY! Ryan Mathews looked very good in limited duties, good speed, good ability to get to the corner, bounced off a tackle for a loss and gained 19 yards (forgot what that was like). And with 4/5 of the same OL from last year, Mathews got consistent running space outside and inside, including on a big fourth and 1. Tolbert did very well as a situational sledgehammer. Add that to Sproles and there's three good running backs.

2. For one game, Dombrowski looked good at LT. For a quarter plus against Julius Peppers, Dombrowski did a very good job keeping Peppers completely under control. Only time he actually looked like he was in trouble he still held Peppers in check to let Rivers bomb it to Naane for a TD. One game does not a LT replacement, but I'm not ready to panic yet. Not to mention Green looked decent as well

3. This defensive line looked like a very good unit for stopping the run
    Whether it was Forte, Wolfe, Bell, etc, the Chargers defensive line did a very good job stopping the run. There was little inside running room from the first team (I am real impressed with Garay) and the second DL looked as good.

4. Donald Strickland was a player - guy got a sack of Cutler (thank you :tup:) and a near interception. Really interested in what he can do.

5. Cam Thomas, Travis Johnson and Vaughn Martin are three incredible defensive line talent. Thomas drove back single blockers like they were nothing, Martin did a good job swallowing blockers, Johnson caused a forced fumble and was in on a number of plays. Castillo-Garay-Cesaire look decent but these three were incredibly impressive

6. Paul Oliver was a guy I thought was on the bubble. Yeah I don't think so anymore. I think he's shown himself to be a solid player. Gregory as well made some impressive hits. We might have our backup safeties already set.

7. Crompton in one quarter looked better then Whitehurst ever did. Wonder if we could get a 1st rounder for him :lol:

8. Good backup linebackers who are blitzers and pass rushers, Holt and Applewhite have some real talent.

Guys who impressed me
    -Randy McMichael (partially)
    -Paul Oliver
    -James Holt
    -Cam Thomas
    -Antwaan Applewhite
    -Brandon Lang
    -Jonathan Crompton
    -Curtis Brinkley (partially)
    -Jeremy Williams

Wasn't impressed by
    Jeromey Clary (three false starts?)
    Gary Banks
    Richie Brockel
    Jyles Tucker

2. Bergo23

Bergo23 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    Burnett looked like he had a good game as well!!! Rivera was bringin' the heat!!! Even without Lights Out and English...very encouraged by the pressure.

3. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    yep, gotta agree. WE stole thomas in the 5th round. Absolute steal. The kid is a stud and a half. Matthews is gonna be really good. Crompton surprised me. He has a really good arm. Give him a year or two to develop and he could wind up really good. Stuckey has yet to do his thing but i'm guessing he'll be pretty good. If butler were playing I'd have to say this may have been the best draft we've had in years.

4. VikingBolt

VikingBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +477
    So who do we replace Clary with? Jeez, thought I was listening to an old game from last year. THREE false starts????

5. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    yep, the only thing we could really improve on is the pass rush. Add english and merriman and that should solve that.

Very happy to see the o-line look solid. Thats a huge relief.:yes:

6. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Good observations. Watching highlights, I got the impression our O looked fine and RM was gona be a great upgrade at RB1 this year.

Also HELL YEA told u NT i kno who we gets ppl: Cam in the 3rd would have been worth it.

7. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,417
    It apparently didn't stop him from performing well, though.

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    From what I heard about Clary, he was just very antsy and hasn't had problems like that at camp. I'll give him a mulligan this one time

Cam Thomas, Ryan mathews - this year could go down as one of our best drafts ever. Look forward to Stuckey next week

9. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Totally agree with your assessment Ant - Crompton looked solid save that stupid pick, but **** happens, I'm really excited to see how he grows under Norv/PR/Volek in the next few years.

LOVED the fire we had on D tonight - those boys came to play and Rivera let them loose with some outside DB rushes, not quite vanilla and it made me feel kinda bad for Hainie, kid got ROCKED tonight.

Tolbert. Always loved him but he was awesome, from the moment he got onto the field he was amp'd and going 110% - I'm excited to see RM/Sproles/Yogi this season, RM isn't afraid of contact and on one particular play made like 10-15 yards out of nothing, Dielman almost knocked him over and he still had the presence of mind and vision to stay on his feet and find an opening. It was nice to see his balance and agility in real time.

F STUPID FALSE START PENALTIES. If I have to see more of these this season I'm gonna go all Wayne Brady and choke a biotch. Dumb Dumb Dumb :flail:

Had a couple Bears fans behind me going on and on about how awesome Cutler is - I threw up in my mouth a little (or a lot) and then laughed at them when he got sacked and chased around. They shut up after that :lol:

Next week should be interesting for sure.

10. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    On the INT, he sailed it a little, but Ajirotutu totally gave up on his route.

Clary, seriously, wtf? One more game like that and you can GTFO.

LOL @ NO ONE cheering when Nate made his 1st fg. ahahahahaha

Mathews + Tolbert running game = serious headaches for the defenders and lots of rest for our D

11. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    I've gotta give a lot of love for Curtis "Boonah" Brinkley? Maybe it's because the game was virtually over and the Bears' 3rd -string defenders were dull but I heard that name and then watched him explode for a great first down rush at the end of the fourth quarter.

Better yet, he followed that up with great nine yard rush in a play where the defense stopped him dead in his tracks and it was all second gear motor. Then he charged ahead to secure the first down and end the game with style.Preseason or not, I'll call that an impressive comeback! I'd like to see more of him in the next few games.

Ryan Mathews is a BEAST. I haven't seen explosion like that in a while. The defense will get plenty of time on the sideline with this guy moving chains.

I'm not entirely sold on Dombrowski and Green though the double-teaming Peppers worked. I just don't think that game plan will work all season long and we simply can't afford to gamble with Rivers' security. Wtf Clary!?!

Nick Novak went wide left; Kaeding goes wide right often. Can somebody please split the uprights consistently?

Thomas shined on D tonight. The whole D line can use some work still. If not, the burden is on the secondary and I have full faith that the unit can come through but it would be best to give them more room to breathe.

12. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Nice.:tup: Here is some of my thoughts....
    Positives:

1. Mathews was very efficient gaining 4 or more yards on nearly every carry. His burst, vision, and ability to break tackles was on full display. No way you can't consider this a MAJOR upgrade from 09' version of LT.

2. D-Line was excellent!:tup: They are big, they are physical, it was like watching our 2006 defense again. The Bears averaged less than 2ypc!

3. Strickland I said it the day we signed him, he's a more than ideal fit for our scheme. He's quick in short areas, he's physical against the run and on stunts.

4. Passing game. Even without Vjack, McNeill and Floyd...Rivers made it look easy tonight. Buster also had a sweet clutch catch.

Negatives:

1. 3rd down defense As usuall our defense bends way too much by giving up big plays on 3rd down.

2. Pass defense
    . Vasher was bad. Brandon Hughes gave up a huge play, and Caleb Hanie had far too much success with his scrub 2nd and 3rd stringers than I wanted to see.....but I guess you can't have everything.:lol:

3. Marcus Mason and Gary Banks Both had bad games. Mason seemed lost, couldn't find holes, couldn't break tackles. Banks had a rough game too.

It was a good game overall. I want to see more Brinkley, Williams, Ajirotoutou, Spillman, Martin, S. McNeal, Greene, and Dombrowski next week.

13. Aggieman

Ratings:
    +194
    Replacing Vincent Jackson will not be a one man show, and so we need the receivers to get as many reps as possible throughout the Preseason. I definitely want to see Reed and Williams much more.

14. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    I just finished watching the game on delay. I'll add a few comments.

Ryan Mathews....Good lord...we may have gotten the best player in this draft. Apologies in advance for initially being mad that we gave up too much to move up and get him. He has Marion Barber's power with a LOT more speed and shiftiness...I was super impressed wiht his balance, vision and explosion through the hole. He is going to help us a whole lot.

Donald Strickland...Looks awesome as the starting nickel corner. Will be a big help there in blitzing situations...the guy knows how to tackle and is always in the right spot.

CBD and Legs......the receiving corps looks very solid...Worrying less about VJ's absence every day.

Kevin Burnett...looking good in pre-season once again...hopefully he stays healthy this year and carries over to the real games.

Brandon Lang...Surprised he isn't getting more love with the comments...The dude looked REALLY good....He really helped his chances of making this team by showing up big on ST too...a natural pass rusher who looked comfortable with the switch to OLB.

Cam Thomas....Nice...huge, strong body in the middle. Garay is really going to have to fight him off as the starting NT for week 1.

Paul Oliver....Looks better every year....he might push for a starting job.

CJ Spillman....Heat seeking missile....our fastest safety by a wide margin.

Now the bad:

OL penalties....Clary in particular...Hope this is just rust, because he did not look good. If McNeill comes back before week 1, we are seriously going to have to look at putting Green at RT.

Nathan Vasher....Rough start....was pretty much torched by second string QB and receivers.

Jeremy Williams....was doing good.....but when you drop a perfectly thrown pass in the endzone for what would have been a huge TD...inexcusible for a UDFA trying to break through. 1 play was enough to drop him on the depth chart.

Mason / McNeal....these guys aren't making the team. McNeal looked like Sproles on his college tapes....looks like a much slower, poor man's version of Sproles in the NFL. Mason was mediocre.

15. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +367
    Hmmm.... did you see the sideline interview of Peppers. They asked if he was double-teamed and he said "No, they didn't have to with all the quick stuff they were doing".

Just saying - there's more than one way to skin a cat. We might be OK.

16. Aggieman

Ratings:
    +194
    Ok then, I'll take Peppers at his word. Maybe we don't need McNeil after all...?

17. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +503
    I did not see the game unfortunately thanks to NFL Network changing their schedule, it was to be on this morning at 0100 EST, instead they moved it to 10PM EST which does not suit someone living in Ireland!!.

Anyway, watched the highlights and I have a question. The Bears punter tackled Lang (after the punt block) and so prevented Lang reaching the ball for a TD before it went out of play. Would it have been a TD had he got to it?, as far as I am aware Yes. So how can a player do that and not get punished?, in 'soccer' you would get a red card for that i.e. sent off the field of play. Was there any punishment for the Bears punter?, if not why not?.

18. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    Sounds like a pretty positive night all around...with one glaring exception (*coff* Clary *coff* *coff*).

If we have indeed cured our main ills from last year (and barring any catastrophic injuries), this could be a very special year...with or without VJ and Mac :yes:

19. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Not that I particularly care at this point, but from much of what I'm hearing, Crompton did NOT look very good.

He's going to need a lot of coaching up. Came from a pretty piss-poor situation at TN.

20. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    No mention of our Tight ends.

Randy McMichael is going to be a huge addition.

21. SDC-IL

SDC-IL BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    Matthews is a great find and I think we'll enjoy watching him run the football. A lot of 100+ yard rushing games will come his way.

The penalites come with the territory of this being the 1st preseason game. Every team will endure this.

As long as there are no injuries, it's a positive because the coaches will have new tape to look at to see what has to be worked on and what went well.

That said, I think I take this with a TEMPERED enthusiasm. Things went well. However, it was the Bears. If they can do this vs. the 1st teamers of the Cowboys and Saints, then us Charger fans may have something special on our hands.

22. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Likey:

- Matthews
    - We got downfield & separation with no VJ
    - The DLine & the inside pressure. It looks like some definite progress is being made there and perhaps we have a little depth.
    - Burnett looks well again
    - Crompton. Look relatively composed in the pocket

No Likey:

- 15 play drives (we may still have get off the field issues)
    - Coverage in the middle of the field. TEs will love us again this year.
    - 20 corner blitzes in a preseason game. What do you learn from that?
    - 10 penalties
    - Volek. Relatively jumpy in the pocket.

23. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,930
    Crompton minus one bad interception threw the ball pretty well. Frankly I think he threw for more completions then Whitehurst ever did in a pre-season game.

I don't know what to say about the tight ends because I didn't see much two tight end sets until very late including McMichael who played against scrubs.

Also I would note that the first team defense didn't really dial up any unique blitzes outside of corner and safety blitzes which they've been doing for like three plus years. They were also without Merriman and English so instead had starters Phillips and Tucker (that'll change). So I'm not paranoid about lack of pass rush yet but its still something to be concerned about. The front three though 1st-3rd teams looked outstanding.

24. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    It's not a penalty per se but that's why we got the Safety - punter gave up 2 points to spare 6.

25. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    The punter hung onto Lang for dear life :lol:

26. SDBoltzFan

SDBoltzFan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    Anyone know if they are going te replay the game on the NFL network? My DVR only caught the second half:(

27. Lightning_Dynasty

Lightning_Dynasty Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +310
    Tonight at 10pm Eastern I believe.

28. SDBoltzFan

SDBoltzFan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    Thankyou...

29. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    Just adding to what everyone has said, props to Goodman, the WR with the good return plus a nice sideline catch :tup:

also

Curtis Brinkley > Mason and McNeil

I want to see more from Williams and Ajirotutu, neither impressed, Banks will not make the team

30. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +503
    Tx syd probably somethin they should look at, imagine getting beat by 5 in a big game where that happened!.