1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Anteater's Impressions - vs Saints Pre-Season

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, Aug 27, 2010.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    1) I guess going toe-to-toe with the Saints first team for half a game was a positive, the Chargers pretty much matched them blow for blow throughout the time the first teams were out there.

2) While Mathews looked very good on the first drive, after that the running room shrank dramatically, thus there was little production. Not sure what happened there

3) I was a little concerned that Rivers didn't really bother hooking up with any of his wide receivers very much - a few to Floyd, two or so to Naane, most to Gates. I thought Dombrowski again did ok, one-on-one he did very well against his guy but with some of the blitzes he looked very confused.

4) First AND second team defenses didn't look very good, alot of attempted big hits that accounted for nothing, very little pressure despite the blitzes. Poor run stopping. This is the first time we've seen limited success in run stopping especially with the second team. Pass rush I'm not seeing much and starting to get concerned again.

4a) How is it the Saints blitzes were able to get to Rivers or at minimum pressure him without much difficulty and regardless of where we blitzed from, we couldn't get squat?

5) Over 500 yards of offense from the Saints, that's concerning. 5 of 6 scoring drives were 67 + yards. Very concerning. Defense couldn't get off the field.

6) More people I think who played poorly then played well. Poorly, Kris Wilson and Billy Volek had some of the worst games I've ever seen. Not sure what to make of that. Clary had another dumb penalty. Vasher looked old and slow today. Second string OL was barely a speed bump to the Saints. Saw very little out of Shawnberry McNeal

7) Positives, I liked what I saw again out of Ajirotutu and Williams as WRs, Dombrowski again did decently. Cason did ok, some tough luck there. Stuckey shows heart but alot of inexperience.

• Like Like x 1
  2. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    On the falloff in the run game when Mathews was running it, I think that the Saints D jus had the play sniffed out when we were in obvious down situations.

On Clary I dont kno if you are talkin about the Chop Block penalty, but it was replayed and Clary was vindicated as Deirdork or Scumball said of the wrong # call on the penalty. Which Hoc had a few, also called a penalty on 63 of Saints and they dont even use that #.... Dombro is 63 for us isnt he?

Cant remember who the chop blocker was, but I know it wasnt JC.

That was a in bounds catch by Wilson.

3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Preseason... Nuff said...

4. Boltzlover

Boltzlover BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +28
    Dielman had the chop block penalty. Clary got one for lining up too far off the LOS.

The 2s did not look as good as they have been, better opponent?

Pass rush not so good tonight, run stopping not great either.

But, NO are the SB champs, so they do have a good team. We will just have to see how things work out.

5. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    - IMO Ajirotutu may have cost himself a spot on the roster today by not going up to try to haul in a similar pass that Buster Davis had caught earlier over the middle on a 3rd down play. Catching long passes when the coverage is blown is not what wins you a roster spot...Making a big play there does. He dropped another pass later. Not a very good showing. Jeremy Williams on the other hand, showed well today.

- Buster re-emerged which IMO was a good sign. Big catch over the middle locked in his spot. He also clearly looks faster and more athletic than any of the other second string guys.

- Defense was dissappointing today. Lack of pass rush and gashed on several running plays.

- Cason is clearly in no danger of losing his job to Vasher...but Vasher showed just enough with his experience that I think he will eek his way onto the roster. He is no longer starter material, but we frankly have no experience in the secondary and he will be needed for emergency situations.

- Stuckey has been dissappointing. I really thought in the early going that he was a guy to watch as a potential starter. He lost a lot of time during camp and it shows. He was absolutely plowed by the Saints RB Ivory on that long TD. At least he still tried to chase the play down after.

- Kris Wilson.....WTF? Better not do that in the regular season. He is too important of a blocker to not make the team however.

- For the first time it looked like our D line got owned. Completely and utterly dominated by the Saints OLine.

- Rivers and all of our starting skill position players looked great. OLine for the most part held in well against constant blitzing until the second half.

- Does Josh Reed make this team? Looking very uncertain at this point.

- Cason needs to catch that effing Duck Rivers threw to him that turned into the bounced ball TD. F U to Dan Dierdouche for continually calling that a "jump ball" won by the Saints receiver...and acting like it was a great pass...That was a mistake by Cason. Either grab it or knock it the F away.

6. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Deirdork and Scumball are the best WORST announcer pairing the NFL has or ever will. Just be glad they work together and not indivualy in 2 diff games.

AND yea wtf that ball only was a jump in that it was overthrown, and Cason was the only one of the 2 ther that went up for it. Sadly it bounced off his arm and freakily strait up into the air thus creating a live *jump* ball. Also sadly Cason at that point was falling over and the only one there was the receiver... ;/ shiz happens cant put that all on cason.

7. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    Oh my god! We lost to the Saints in preseason!

The season is over. AJ is an idiot.:icon_eek::nana_dance:

8. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    WOW!
    Complaining about the announcers. :tdown:

9. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    At least we had no major injuries!

Loved the opening drive too.

10. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Ok well I will give them a cheer! SO glad I dont have to watch Dan aNd Scumball butcher english in the homeland England in the SF v DEn game.

I cant help but try to emphasize how much I H-A-T-E Scumball. DD isnt so bad but cmon you could hear Gregs eyes shuffling the SD roster for the name of that # 89 receiver the very second he was even involved in a play. I am glad they had their homework done tonight and had it so down they were sayin his name jus to say it again.

Yea dont think I will lose sleep over a exhibition game. I dont even consider this Pseason. Only if the P stands for practice season. Was a good game tho. P season or not.

11. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Second that!

And there wasnt anyone in my house that didnt know what was happening on that opening drive. Hope we can do that alone more often in reg season games, we could avoid the whole slow start to season if we could jus get a little faster out of the gate *the actual tunnel to the field I mean* game to game.

12. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    My impressions....

1. First half was a wash. There were good things and bad, on both sides of the ball, and when your matching up with the Saints despite missing major pieces in the pre-season that can't be a bad thing.

2. Our O-line is....okay. Which may not be good enough with our long developing plays in the passing game.

3. Defensively, not as bad as it looked on paper. A little dissapointed that English and Phillips can't get to the quarterback, it really seems like the days where we racked up 50-55 sacks in a season are over.

13. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    It's a fawking practice game for crying out loud.

14. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210

15. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    I would normally agree with you but for some reason this one felt more like a real game than any other preseason game I've watched in recent memory. Maybe it was the crowd.

16. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I agree, the NFL and CBS put on a great show for a warm up to get fans pumped up. Still there was nothing on the line and I can't say we saw game 12 type action in season. It was fun to watch though.

17. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    The defense got worked like I thought it would humbling Bolt fans. :yes:

Kris Wilson sucks catching the ball.

Alphonso Boone needs to work on his squirt bottle act. He peed on the reporter chicks leg while Ryan Matthews was getting interviewed.

The best part of the game was the violent collision involving Ryan Matthews. He stayed upright after punishing the defender. The more I see, the more I likey.

We need D-Linemen. Last night should have shaken the chit out of Bolt fans. 500 yards of offense by the Saints is not anywhere acceptable. The special teams looks like a mess and Clary is a penalty machine so far this pre-season.

I noticed a sideline shot of Hardwick talking to Matthews on the sideline benches. Matthews has a lot of nervous energy. His leg was bouncing and he was chewing on his mouthpiece and he put it over his ear and then chewed on it again.

It appears the quick pass to Gates is becoming a trend. That is one way to help out the O-Line but it becomes predictable. Using the TE's for slide protection on both sides of the line limits our play calling ability because we are using 2 or 3 TE sets.

When they flashed our opening schedule, there is no reason the Chargers should not go 9-0 to start even with this rag tag team. Thank goodness the division sucks otherwise, we would be in a world of hurts.

18. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    The only thing that will save us on defense is a shot of elephant testosterone in Merriman's ***.

We've got big problems IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    Merriman will help....as will a shot in his ***, but it's not as bad as it looks. Brees and that Saints offense are going to rip it up on most teams....just like we will offensively. We need to work on some things and adjust like we did after getting raped by Pittsburgh in that regular season game last year. Hopefully those adjustments come BEFORE the season this year.

20. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    It's a fawking game analysis thread...people are going to comment on what they see. I don't think anyone has said the season is over as a result of that game. There was some good and some bad...The bad being mostly on defense and our 2nd string offense.

• Like Like x 1
  21. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    The point of this whole thread was to look at the play of this team in the 'most serious of the pre-season games' and analyze. If your in this thread to complain about analyzing a pre-season game, take your opinions to another thread. No one wants to hear your crap. If you want to talk about the game intelligently then come and post your thoughts.

22. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    Thank you for making that point clear for those unclear on the concept in a manner as subtle as a cluster munition.

We the fans no longer have access to practice and aside from what we get from the media these pre-season "games" are the only real chance we have to evaluate what we have and how the team looks going into the 2010 regular season.

For the early part of the game, we look at the following things: how does the O-line look? How does Mathews look? How do the WR's and TE's look? How does the run defense look? How does the pass defense look? All the while understanding that we are seeing the vanilla versions of offense and defense. There is also clock management, penalties and use of time outs...in other words: is everyone on the same page and playing smart football.

The later part of the game is for roster depth and the practice squad. We will see a couple of those guys again late in the season and I for one would like to know what to expect.

Next week against the 49ers, it will be all about who grabs the final roster spots. I will take what information I can from the pre-season. So far, so good but there is plenty of work to be done before September 13th in KC.

Keep the insight coming folks, we have some very knowledgeable Charger fans here (...OK, and a few knotheads too) :tup:

23. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Only the extremely naive think there is nothing you can learn from a pre-season game.

The Saints were blitzing like crazy and our O-line was trying to protect our franchise QB.....therefore I learned something about our O-line and its that they are just OKAY.

24. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    The middle of the defense is going to be as ripe and wide open as it was last year and our fat guys in the middle get zero push.

The only pressure I saw was when Rivera brings a DB.

25. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    Ditto!

• Like Like x 1
  26. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    Larry English and Phillips didn't look that good. Applewhite and Lang looked better. Applewhite might be battling for playing time with either English. I wish we could get some pressure from our OLBs.

Our ILB, safety, and corner blitzs look very good. We are doing better defensivly running and offensivly running the bal.. The Saints are a VERY good team they improved in the offseason. They were a good test for the Chargers. There is a lot of work that neesd to be done, but the game was closer than the score indicates.

There are some positives and negatives. Our O-line looked pretty good. I wish MM and VJ would come back because we would be better with them, however I see our guys stepping up and improving.

If it came between Reed and Williams I am picking Reed. Williams had a very poor preseason. He isn't good in special teams and for a guy who is supposed to have good hands and runs good routes has been struggling against real defenses.

Tu Tu looks like he will make it. Williams on the PS. If anyone picks Williams up it won't matter. Buster Davis and Reed are the same time and both better.

27. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    If you really believe what you "learned" means anything, you are the one who is not only naive but foolish. What was put on the field is nothing like what they will be doing come the 13th. It is what it is, a fawking practice game, very basic in all aspect and were assignments carried out. Simple and nothing more, I'm sure Norv and his coaching staff don't need your opinion to asses and make corrections. They put on a good show for what it's worth.

28. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    I watched the game... It is hard to gauge the defense when they are going up against the #1 offense in the NFL. I still am not impressed by what they (D) did in the first half. As for Merriman... forget it. This is his last year here.

29. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    This team doesn't look as good as last years team, or the 2008 team, or the 2007 team under Norv.

Preseason or not, I just don't see it with the first string like in previous seasons :icon_shrug:

30. CaptainTapp

CaptainTapp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    Watching the replay of the game right now on NFL network. I am really surprised to see that right up until around 1min left in the third quarter we were only a field goal behind last years Super Bowl champion. Yes our defense had trouble getting off the field, but so did theirs, and if that crazy "jump-ball" where Cason almost intercepted in the endzone doesn't happen, its entirely possible the chargers could have been up 14-10 at that point.

Another plus: Ryan Mathews really impresses me. I feel like in every preseason game there's been at least one play where he gets hit hard and stays up while his "tackler" falls on their face. I like his ability to keep runs going and his toughness. Not to mention he stayed pretty calm while talking to that smoking sideline reporter despite having water sprayed down his leg!

That said, I still have some concerns. As good as #24 has looked, when the Saints decided to stop him they easily got to him behind the line of scrimmage. The O-line just doesn't run-block that well. And it drives me crazy the way Norv calls run plays. On 3rd and 2 he passes. After watching Mathews get blown up behind the LOS he calls a screen and watches it happen again. I just hope our new RB gets some blocking so we can see what he can do.

Also as others have noted, our D needs to tackle better. Just saw the long run by Ivory, and earlier in the game them trying to tackle Reggie Bush on some of those long screen passes, our guys seem to whiff way too often. It really seems like our guys get taken by surprise by screens and forget how to tackle. That said, it was our subs, with 7 minutes left in the fourth quarter of a preseason game. I'm not going to get too broken up about it. Although I'm a little worried because with 6:48 left (watching as I type) the score is 26-14, and I keep seeing online that the final score was 36-21?? HTF does that happen? Is that a wrong score? I guess I'm about to find out lol... If that 36 is correct thats only possible if our sub offense went 3-and-out repeatedly. Our starting O won't be that easy to get off the field in the reg season so I doubt we'll see the opposing team score that much in a quarter.

Also, our boy definitely crossed the plane when he was being pushed out of bounds... Volek snuck it in anyway but whoever that chubby white-guy is, he deserved that TD!

Last thought: can't wait for the regular season. I think our offense will be fine without Vjax, hopefully more balanced now that Mathews is here. Our D needs to learn how to tackle better but honestly, holding the freakin Saints to 17 in a half ain't bad.