1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Anti-Merriman article

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by LT - HOF, Mar 20, 2007.

1. LT - HOF

LT - HOF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=klosterman/070319&sportCat=nfl

Not much to say about it - you can believe what you want about the guy. I will say I loathe Bonds, but I like Merriman and I don't think it's because it's my team. Merriman faced everything head-on and admitted he made a mistake irregardless of how it came to be.

People hate liars - You just have to ask yourself is Merriman lying.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Yeah I think this was posted before. Slow off season, not a lot of logic behind the conclusions IMO.

3. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Its a slanderish article inferring merriman has used steriods. When in fact as the facts we know he accidently ingested a steriod once. Hopefully merriman will sue the little sheet that wrote the slanderish aritcle.

MIght have been nice to put some real facts in the article other than conjecture throughout the whole thing. LIke merrimans been tested for years. And has had only one positive and that of a steriod that is sometimes put into supplements.

Email the little sheet that wrote the article. The punks name is Klosterman at http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/mailbagESPN?event_id=5294

• Like Like x 1
  4. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I don't necessarily support the article, but saying Merriman accidentally ingested steroids is just as speculative as saying he did it on purpose. Neither position is provable. You choose to believe Shawne. That's great. But don't act like that position has some irrefutable basis in fact.

5. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Accidental or on Purpose same thing in the NFL. Players are responsible for what is in their bodies.

he gets a one time pass from me, one time is excusable. Twice shows intent. IMO.

6. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    I choose to believe that Shawne is bullshitting. I don't buy the tainted supplement excuse.

It is a far easier for me to believe that during his first NFL offseason, he miscalculated how long to clean his body out before the first test.

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    by this same moronic standard, John Ogden and Marcus McNeil are stereoid users because they're bigger then the past tackles. This is a stupid article because we ALL know that Merriman, though he got caught, still builds the muscles the proper way through hard work. Remember his boxing and muay thai training?

8. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    Nothing you just said can be denied by any reasonable individual.

Spot on.

• Like Like x 1
  9. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Shawne's a big boy. He can take it. And he deserves it. Tough ****, kid. He can clean up his act and prove himself over time. Boo frickin' hoo.

10. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Although they do surprise tests during the off season for this. IF that is the case he was gambling because they could have drawn his number at any time.

11. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    While I think this article is pretty lame I'm inclined to agree TK. :yes:

• Like Like x 1
  12. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    So how do you think he's only tested positive "Once" after many tests before and after and that the steriod was a common steriod ingrediant thats added to supplements.

Plus I didn't see any let down from him after many months of the steriod out of his body. 17 sacks without playing 4 games. And from the looks of him now he looks even bigger.

some folks are probably gonna owe merriman an apology after next year. IF he is smaller and alot less strong then maybe he was on a steriod. But if he plays well and is still big then folks are gonna owe him an apology.

13. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    That's where I come down on Merriman's side in this. He tested positive in August, but didn't in subsequent tests. Even after he learned of that positive test, he still tested negative.

Are there masking agents that can hide the prescence of that steroid? So far, no one's said that or even if it's possible.

14. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    I hate this article. The writer acts like the only thing different between modern athletes and athletes born in the forties and fifties is steroids and HGH. That's a pretty narrow-minded view for someone who is supposed to be a journalist. Let's see...I wonder if there might be anything else that's different about modern sports...

-The pool of talent is bigger than it was back then because tens of thousands of kids are playing college football.

-Universities are much better equipped when it comes to being able to provide their players with state-of-the-art gyms and professional trainers who are there to do nothing but fine-tune the athletes. Heck, most high schools have what would have been professional-quality gyms back in the sixties. Modern athletes start chiseling their bodies from a much younger age than they did back then.

-Perfectly legal supplements are way more prevalent and much more effective.

-Diet and nutrition is better understood and programs that combine nutrition and workout regimens are better and have undergone decades of trial-and-error.

-Much of our meat contains growth hormones that are injected into the cattle.

-Modern athletes don't rely solely on their natural gifts as much as they did in the fifties and sixties. They use training to perfect themselves as much as possible to accentuate their strengths and minimize their weaknesses and, again, they have the money and time to do it right.

So...yeah...steroids and HGH are the only things that seperate modern athletes from their 20th century counterparts...

• Like Like x 1
  15. Daddy_O

Daddy_O Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +300
    Amen! Preach it!

And let's not forget the larger speciemens were stuck on the farm or in the mines. 50 years ago, a large build would get you a good paycheck because the world was not as mechanized as today.:icon_toast:

16. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    :lol:

17. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    foober, forget about the tests after. It is irrelevant, because my premise is that Shawne planned all along to clean his body out before the season started. He should've gotten off the juice a little sooner, then there wouldn't have been any problems.

What I'd really like to address is your "many tests before" comment. Do you know for a fact that Shawne was tested in the months of March, April, May, June, or July? Because I've never seen it documented where that was the case.

18. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Pretty sure that in the interview he mentioned he had been tested on a pretty much ongoing basis during the off season and was completely random. They would show up at his door and he would need to submit a test.

19. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    LIke I said some folks are gonna have to apologize to merriman if he does well this year and isn't smaller.

The nfl it appears is pretty serious if they would go out of their way and make their future hall of fame great player in merriman look bad. Which to means the nfl isn't kidding around.

We don't see how many times they get tested. But the players do. They know they've got to keep a tight ship. ONe slip up and your toast.

Whats wrong in the merriman thing was that he was made to look like a habitual user. Which it appears he wasn't. That is unfair. The nfl should get a better system in place on how to judge how bad the infringement on illegal substances was and have a better system to judge what to do with the player. As it is now. YOu get caught with anything and the media thinks your a habitual user.

20. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    I'd read that he was tested like 13 times before he got the positive. Do you honestly think merriman would bring this on himself. He will always be looked at by some as a cheater. Which is very unfair. But thats how humans do things sometimes. I know you think everyone is quilty until proven innocent. But if he comes back and does well this year and isn't smaller you and anyone else that doesn't believe him owes him an apology. Dont' you think.

21. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    Merriman already looks smaller, judging by the uniform unveiling pics.

Maybe we should move him to Strong Safety and draft an OLB. :lol:

22. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680

No way do they test for steroids that often, unless you are a repeat offender. Where did you hear that?

23. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    I guess your gonna make me go back and have to look. If you want to help could you do the same. Its in an article or two by the UT I believe. Where merriman tells marty that he's been tested around 13 times. I'm just guessing on the 13 times. But it was a high number.

edit; I can't find it right off. But I know I saw it. YOur gonna owe merriman an apology as will others next year if he's as good. I don't have a clue why you don't beleive him.

Do some of you beleive your wives that they're not sleeping with other men. Same thing. Except merriman gets tested all the time.

24. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Why do you not beleive him. Its good to mistrustful. Especially of politicans but what proof do you have otherwise that he's not telling the truth.

25. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    And you can say with absolute certainty that the one positive test nearly a year ago attributed to his size and speed?

• Like Like x 2
  26. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Wrongo, got one positive test.; With one easily found steriod that just happens to be the number one enhancer to some supplements.