1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Antonio Cromartie is almost invisible.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Dec 4, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Forgotten man

Antonio Cromartie is almost invisible.

A season after being the NFL’s third-most burned cornerback, Cromartie has hardly been tested by opponents.

“It seems like people have forgotten about him because he’s playing so good,” Turner said. “It’s hard to get a play on him over there.”

Cromartie has been targeted 49 times this season, with 30 of those going for completions. Although it’s 61.2 percent, it’s better than the 69 completions in 100 times he was targeted in 2008.

“I’m healthy,” said Cromartie, who played with a hip fracture all of last season.

On the left side, cornerback Quentin Jammer has been targeted 58 times and allowed 30 completions (51.7 percent).

“The left corner, because most teams are right-handed, they throw to the defensive left,” defensive coordinator Ron Rivera said. “In the same respect, you’ve got to have a guy you’re very confident in on the backside (right side). He’s going to be by himself a lot. We’ve got two really good corners that are doing a heck of a job.”

[​IMG]

2. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Cut Him! :icon_rofl:

3. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    I'm not as much of a Cromartie hater as some around here.

I remember it took Jammer 4 or 5 years before he became halfway decent.

4. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    I think this might be your second best post... :lol:

Your starting to scare me...

:icon_tease:

5. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    When he came here, our team was horrible.

6. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    I agree...Cro still has promise. All though I still want a twitter free team!:yes:

• Like Like x 1
  7. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Promise... maybe but nobody can deny that he has regressed from the player he was in 2007, and I think it ALL revolves around his attitude and bigger craving for fame.

8. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Even in 04' and 05' he was still getting burned deep and hit with huge pass interference penalties because he'd never turn his head and play the ball. It took a long time for him to become what he is now.

9. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Yeah but there were also some plays that defined the player he is in 04-05. I remember him putting quite a few WRs into the turf very hard to break up the play. He got better as the team got better.

At this moment... I'd rather have Cason out there with Jammer.

10. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Cason can't even win the nickle job, Gregory has been showing him up big time the last few weeks.

11. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    This I agree with. When Gregory had a good game against the Chiefs in our first meting, I wasn't sold. Simply because it was the Chiefs.

Though he's done well against the better teams.

12. BoltWash

BoltWash BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18
    You cant hate on him for 2008. Our pass rush was non-existent, and its impossible to cover a WR for 10 seconds while our line trys to pressure the QB. Not to mention the cracked hip....This year we are 8th in pass defense, which is pretty good. He has gotten a lot better over the course of the season. Cason would not be an improvement.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Ask for a cell phone free team, or a world without nuclear weapons... You are just as likely to get those... :lol:

14. Bergo23

Bergo23 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    I hope AJ at least tells him we will stay in touch if he chooses free agency. He will definately price himself out of AJ's range, even more so than Merriman. He is easily our most talented Defender, but talent doesn't tell the whole story.....the guy is not the shiniest tool in the shed, as evidenced by his off the field escapades and EVERY interview he ever gives. I will take Cason, it may be a step down in talent...but there is no comparison when it comes to intangibles. AJ knows he has that in his back pocket, and may even try and get something for him with a trade in the offseason, if he got a second I would JUMP on it. There will be some real help in the second round of this draft with so many Jr's declaring.

15. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    I don't know why anyone on the team using twitter is a problem anyways.

I understand why saying stupid **** on twitter is a problem, but how does that differ from publicly saying stupid **** via any other medium?

16. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    :lol:I know I know...it is a losing battle I fight.

17. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Took me a long time to become the train wreck I am now, too.

18. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    His play at CB is not the main reason a lot of us have soured so much on Cromartie.....The guy has the biggest mouth on the field...always yapping at opposing WR's who usually end up making him eat his own trash talk.....He tackles like the biggest pu$$y I've ever seen in the history of this franchise.....and his off-the-field shenanigans are borderline unbelievable and are typically a massive distraction to the rest of the team. He is quite simply the Chargers' version of Travis Henry.

I'm glad his play has improved from last year....I can understand that he was injured a year ago...but let's not forget that he went out of his way to predict a league record for INTs for himself and then became the most burned corner in the NFL...and the worst in run support as well.

Jammer really only had a couple of flaws over the first few years...He kept getting penalized for hand checks beyond five yards...and he got turned around often on deep routes and took him a while to learn to make a play on the ball without giving up a long completion or getting PI'd down the field.

Jammer was always a Pro however. You never heard a peep out of him off the field other than he was working hard to get better....and he has always been a sledge hammer of a tackler......and he didn't make a lot of mistakes in coverage...He was always in the right place...but now he is making plays on the ball instead of getting flagged or having a receiver out fight him for a big completion.

I hope Cro does well the rest of the year...but this is not a guy I want the Chargers to give a big contract to. My preference would be to trade him for whatever draft pick they could get and move on with Cason....maybe add another vet CB for depth....His baby's mama's problems plus his continued penchant for being one of our team's leading party boys and going out of his way to make an *** out of himself on twitter and in the news (throwing champagne bottles and waiving his AMEX black card on a table in a bar when he's getting sued for 1.5 mill for child support).....and not to mention he has been part of some of the more embarassing on the field gaffes in recent memory (Reggie Wayne and Peyton Manning pulling his pants down for a 60yard TD when he was looking at the sidelines in the playoffs.....He and Hart allowing a 50 yard TD on a 4th down to the worst passing offense in league history in the opener)...those are enough issues to dump his *** sooner rather than later.