1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Antonio Cromartie: Replacing The Cro? San Diego's Surprising Twist!!!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Its 3rd-and-long. We have a slim lead, but with a stop here, we could put this game away.

''Oh no." Why is Cromartie giving up so much space? Why isn't he playing tighter coverage? Does he know where the first down marker is?

Oh no, the quarterback is looking over that direction. Here comes the ball. It's a bullet. Cromartie is breaking on it; can he intercept it, or at least bat it down? Sixty-five thousand people collectively gasp as the ball flies through the air.

The ball lands crisply in the receivers hands, Cromartie makes the tackle, and the referee signals a first down. Three more downs are given, and ten more minutes of nervousness the fans must sit through. This is becoming a familiar occurrence at Qualcomm stadium.

Many questions arise. Man, what happened to him? This guy was in the pro bowl just two years ago. He led the league in interceptions. Why is he not playing hard anymore?

Cromartie possesses the physical size, speed, strength, and leaping ability to be the league's premiere shut-down corner. He has been commonly referred to as the most athletic man in the NFL. So why isn't he? I have one word to offer as an answer.

Complacency!!

He has enjoyed success, the limelight, a pro bowl, and big money. Often times people in such positions sit back and believe it is always gonna stay that way, and forget what it took them to get there.

I feel if Cromartie were to wind upon the Cowboys, or the Ravens, he would once again reach Pro Bowl status. He would be re-coached, re-trained, and be the new guy adapting to his surroundings. Some people do their best in circumstances like these. When the comfort zone is gone and it's time to sink or swim, I believe Cromartie is at his best.

I feel trading away Cromartie to fill the shoes of Tomlinson makes very little sense. Considering the available running backs in this year's draft at all rounds, trading away a starting cornerback would give you two holes to fill, not just one.

However, I think that the Chargers will test the waters, not so much to act, but to perhaps make Cromartie lose his sense of comfort. If that is the case, and the Cromartie of 2007 reemerges, then this would be the best trade the Chargers could possibly make.

I think the Chargers will further increase the pressure on Cromartie by drafting Javier Arenas early in the 2010 draft. What would this do?
    Drafting Javier Arenas would:

1. Give the Chargers a young, capable, and talented cornerback to back up, and eventually replace Jammer and Cromartie. Also, he could be trained to play safety or in nickel packages.

Arenas is an excellent tackler. He had 63 tackles last year, plays great coverage, and breaks well on the ball. Many scouts predict that Arenas will be a shut-down corner in time. He is also very good on the blitz and coverage defense, something Chargers fans are starving to see more of.

2. Provide kick and punt returning services to the Chargers. He is outstanding in this category. Last year he had three returns for over 70 yards. He also averaged a huge 24.1 yards returning kicks, and 14.2 yards returning punts.

This is something that San Diego would definitely have to factor, because if Sproles returns to the Chargers next year, his carries and role in the running game are going to be much heavier. Arenas would provide a huge relief to Sproles.

3. Having Arenas on the team will ignite Cromartie's competitive nature. He has nobody to push him now. He has fallen into a level of comfort and relaxation that Arenas's presence will definitely abrupt that comfort to the point of action. Especially following a trolling through the trade pond.

So in the end, the Chargers will have traded Cromartie, but not to another team. Instead trade him back to the Cromartie of 2007, and we can again see Cromartie wearing a Pro Bowl uniform and a Chargers helmet with it.

It has never been Cromartie's physical tools in question—just his mental tools, and lack of concern, or sense of urgency. When was the last time he had to fight for his job? 2007!! In that case you get a Cromartie that is equal mentally and physically. That is exactly what San Diego is looking for in this trade.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/348775-replacing-the-cro-san-diegos-surprising-twist

2. msmith

msmith BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    By getting Rivers to backup Brees and it motivated Brees to have a breakout year in 2004. Does the FO think it will work on Cro?

3. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Some may say it was Rivers that "motivated" Brees, others will say the emergance of Gates as his 1st legit receiving threat and the replacement of all 5 offensive linemen was the reason Brees had a break out year. Prior to that, he had no one But LT to throw the ball to and his O-Line was horrible. The draft where we got rivers, we also got Hardwick and Olivea, traded for Roman Oben, signed Mike Goff as a FA, and Dielman took over at LG. Convience that Brees had a good year after getting 5 quality linemen?

By the way, I am not one of the guys who thinks we should have kept Brees, I just think it is unfair to say him sucking prior to 04 was because he was a bad player, when he had no receivers and a horrible line, and that was HUGE reason why he sucked. Plus he had a HC that wouldn't make up his mind about who the starting QB would be for a couple years

4. SDDon

SDDon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    JL, I like the first half of your OP but you lost me when you went on the Arenas diatribe. I am sorry I have already watched TOAST PATERSON man the corner here in SD and don't need to see a repeat performance by this want-a-be. He got toasted in the Senior Bowl, that was all I needed to see.

The most important skill a CB can have is cover skills then comes the other stuff. If this guy tackles well and has decent speed then maybe he is a FS but he is no corner unless you want to lead the league in long TD passes allowed.

I do like your idea but the the CB that I would sugest we look at would be, Kyle Wilson, Kareem Jackson, or Devin McCourty. They all should be still on the board for the first half of the 2nd round.

5. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    whats in cromarties head is like 7+ children and parental suits against him now.:yes:

6. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    I'm praying we can trade cro for a 2nd rounder and get kyle wilson. That kid has it all.

7. msmith

msmith BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    Foo, I think your trick may work. You should go to other 31 teams forum and make threads like:

STUPID CHARGERS WANT TO TRADE THE BEST CB IN COVERAGE.

or

NO ONE CAN REPLACE CRO THE MAN!!!

8. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    If we do get rid of Cro- draft Patrick Robinson from FSU (yeah i know cro played at FSU)

Robinson isn't afraid to be physical and TACKLE!

9. mandude

mandude BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +59
    Problem with your idea that if we take away his safety net he'll preform is, we were shopping him last off-season, and up through the trade deadline last year. If that didn't work, why would it be any different this year?

10. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155

Brees himself said he worked even harder in the offseason before the 04 season. Whether that was because a new QB was coming in (at the time it could have been Eli) or on his own only he knows for sure.

Also from all the reports I've heard/seen that if Rivers didn't hold out he would have beaten out Brees in TC, so having another shot sure helped him become the QB he is today. If he never starts in 04, no one would have looked at him as a quality QB, he maybe would have been signed as a backup with us or elsewhere or given another shot elsewhere, who knows how his career would have ended up like.

If Cro returns I'd look into moving him to nickel again, that's when he had his great season.