1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Antonio Gates: $7-mil man?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Fossil, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +319
    Saw on another site AG is set to make more than $7 million next season. If that's true, is Gates worth it to the team next season?

2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,243
    Yes...

3. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,524
    Probably not. Especially if Green continues to see more reps.... which he should.

4. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    We need him.

5. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +636
    Against Cincy in the playoffs, Green had 50 snaps to Gates 40 snaps.

In my opinion, he's not worth 7 million. I think if Telesco can somehow get him to take a pay cut or restructured contract, it would benefit us and give us wiggle room. He's not a top tier TE like he once was, but he's still a very good TE. Commands double teams and can still get separation when not doubled.

6. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +519
    Because of his talent as of now (or at the start of next season) I don't think so, he was great, he's good now, not worth 7 million, hope he takes a pay cut to finish his career here

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,243
    Gates still demands double teams. He is important to the short passing attack and still very reliable on 3rd downs. I say bring him back. 7 mill for someone of his talent, even at his age is not expensive... If you could re-do his deal, win-win, but 7 mill is not a huge contract for a star veteran TE.

8. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings:
    +325
    I love Gatesy., I want his flag hang'n in the Q eventually.., but damn., dude has been slow'n down....and the dropped balls this last year..very un-Gatesy-like......obviously Green was more of the target this year.

9. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,383
    I love Gates and I still think he has plenty to contribute. But not at 7 mil per year. I would seek to restructure his deal if I were the Chargers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,524
    Both our TE's would benefit from adding some speed at WR....... something Telesco is keen to do.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,777
    I'd like to know just what was going on with Gates the last few weeks of the regular season. He just didn't look crisp,
    nimble or willing to push it and may have just been trying to survive like Ryan Mathews. Stalag 13 at it's finest.

12. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,243
    Does anyone look crisp with two defenders hanging on them?

13. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,407
    I'm probably the biggest Gates homer here. Love to watch him play. But he really tailed off the last quarter of the season. Don't want to see him go, but don't think he's worth 7 mill.

14. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +319
    IMO Gatsey is still up there among the elite. I'm not sure if KA eclipsed him or not in terms of being PR's favorite target, but AG has been for years.
    That being said, wow, only four TDs this year?
    I'd like to see him restructure of course, but maybe not so much if doing so just spreads the cap hit beyond the end of his career. If we can do it without mortgaging the future, win win.
    gates.JPG gates.JPG

15. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings:
    +654
    fify ;)

16. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,524
    Except Allen isn't that fast..... that was why he dropped in the draft. We need a true field stretcher to open up space underneath for Allen and the TEs.

17. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,773
    Just so this thread isn't misleading, we only actually save about $2.5M in cap by getting rid of Gates, not $7M.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +121
    i said we need a field stretcher with allen months ago. And got called dumb. Lol. . Told that its wasnt a priority

19. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,524
    Personal insults are not allowed...... which nitwit said that? ;)

• Like Like x 1
  20. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Good point. For $2.5 mil of cap money you keep him. But possibly Spanos wants to spend the $7 mil of real dollars elsewhere.

21. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,777
    Even you, I'd like to think, could tell that something wasn't right with Gates during the stretch run. I know age can slow one down but gates appeared to be barely moving at times, bad ribs?, just guessing.

22. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,924
    So long as he still draws double teams he's worth it.

I mean, if letting him go or keeping him was the difference between being able to get a key piece elsewhere then I'd perhaps feel different, but otherwise I say he's still worth it.

23. EOTL

EOTL BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +81
    On a completely sentimental note, after watching the Chargers part with LT and let him finish his career elsewhere, I don't want to see that happen again with Gatesy.

Keep him under contract here, but restructure the money a bit so that the FO has some more cash to use in trying to bring in better talent.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,924
    That requires both sides to agree, though

Under the assumption Gates doesn't want to restructure do you still think it's worth it? (I think that's the sentiment of the question.)

25. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,773
    Yeah it's hard to see a player like him go, but that's the nature of pro sports. The Chiefs traded Tony Gonzalez for a 2nd round pick when he was 32 (a deal that might actually improve Gates' trade stock now), and some might say they regretted it, but I honestly don't think Gates has that longevity. Also they didn't have a LaDarius Green waiting to take over.

The questions are...
    1) Does Gates still fit our scheme?
    2) Is Green a better or equal player? (Considering he makes about 1/7th what Gates does)
    3) Will Rivers get pissed off? Haha

I think it's worth considering trade possibilities before he really starts wearing down, if we can get a couple day 2 picks it might be worth it.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  26. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,924
    It's definitely worth considering. I'm a firm believer that you should consider EVERYTHING. The Vikings should consider trading Adrian Peterson, for instance.

But the thing about trades is there's two parts to the equation. I'd be fine with trading Gates if the return was good.

27. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    If he restructures he stays. If not, he puts himself at risk of being cut. Love the guy but it's reality. As for the double teams he commands - as he ages that will lessen. There IS a break point where keeping him won't make sense for the TEAM, homer fan mentality (which I suffer from as well) be damned in that light.

28. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,976
    Gates is in the back end of his end loaded contract.He was worth 7 mil when he signed it, but ol man "AGE" is now catching him. Pay him this year and hopefully he says this will be his last season. Draft a young tight end and let Gates act as a coach.

29. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,773
    I agree with you completely, but the cap return for cutting him (only $2.5M) isn't enough to make it worth it.

Tony Gonzalez had a similar contract situation, and was traded to the Falcons (for a 2nd rounder) at the same age Gates is now. That IMO would be well worth it, the picks + the cap room.

30. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,089
    Yep ................ and Yep.