1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Antonio Gates: $7-mil man?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Fossil, Jan 17, 2014.

1. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,042
    Point worth considering though Matti ....

Is Gatesy showing the form at 32 that Gonzo was when traded ?

I'd have to say NO.

That toe injury over a couple of years has slowed him down considerably, but what shocked me more this past season was how his normally reliable hands, let him down on more than the odd occasion, thats a major concern when considering whether or not to re-sign him, regardless of the cost.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. SatchBolt

SatchBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    Without his 3rd down catch against KC we never would have made the playoffs. AG is clutch and he should be paid.

3. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,760
    If Gates slow down the last four games was old age, then I don't know how one could justify the payout. Question is, does he still have a Lombardi in him??? now that would be sweet.

4. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,583
    Good points. And all the more reason to try to deal him, even if we can't get a 2nd.

It seems dumb to just release him though. Somebody will bite, like Minnessota, Atlanta, Seattle, Baltimore etc...there is simply too much demand for his skill set even if it is on the decline.

5. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,760
    Dudes body isn't even cold yet, let's not just bury him and move on.

6. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +633
    The guy commands double teams and still caught 77 balls for 872 yards and 4 TDs, most receptions he's had since 2009. Don't forget this is in an offense which he had no over the top receiver/field stretcher to get him space underneath.

Floyd is about 90 % retired I believe, that neck injury isn't something to play with at his position and risk the rest of your life in a wheel chair for. So, getting a field stretcher in FA or the draft is a need.

7. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Absolutely not. Gates is not worth 5.5% of our salary cap. At this point, it's beginning to be questionable as to whether or not Gates should start over Green next season. Keep in mind that Rivers is pulling something like 16 mil on the salary cap next year (~12%). Mathews is not under contract. Butler is not under contract.

Gates will probably play under his current contract next season, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Gates restructured or even cut following next season (if he doesn't retire). Say what you want about his career (which has been stellar), but he's not a red zone threat anymore, and we have better targets between the 20s. With how explosive Green is, I just don't see him being worth it.

8. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,583
    No he doesn't.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +633
    No? Not in the red zone? Think he does.

Rivers missed Gates and Allen a lot this year. I follow a guy on twitter that is a huge Chargers fan and watches a lot of tape. When he assess the team I'll point that out to him see if he can find some images.

10. powayslugger

powayslugger 2014--- Bring on the Lombardi!

Ratings:
    +163
    $7 million is an awful lot for a guy whose performance and speed fell off as the season went on. He sure wasn't looking like $7 million worth of TE. I love Gates but I hope he'll re-negotiate a deal to lower that number. Green is looking like the heir apparent at TE. Hope gates stays with the team.

11. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Concerned Bolt Fan

Ratings:
    +214
    If we part ways with AG next season because he refuses to take pay cut, how would you all feel if he went to Kansas City and came back to beat us, or to New England and knocked us out of the playoffs, kind of like Shaun Phillips just did?

Would any of you blame him if he took advantage of his best available opportunity after we showed him the door?

12. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    Players move around. Sometimes the team they move to outplays the team they just left-even in direct competition. It's the nature of the beast. Are you suggesting that we keep a player, even at the possibility of a negative overall impact to the team, because he MIGHT go elsewhere and compete well against us?

And for me, no-if Gates is let go I will wish him the best-just not against us. Pretty standard emotion for me.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    Gates isn't the player at this age that Tony was at the time of his trade. Sad but true. I just don't see a 2nd for him. More like a 4th or lower IMO.

14. SatchBolt

SatchBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    I don't want to see him in a Pats or Broncos uni!

15. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +69
    Again, Gates doesn't make $7 million dollars next year. He makes $5 million, with about $2.4 million in additional prorated bonus, which counts against the cap but it's money he's already been paid. If we cut him we only save $2.6375 million against the cap.

From Gates' perspective, he will restructure if he thinks he can't make the $5 million dollar salary somewhere else, but he doesn't have much incentive to really capitulate because he knows we only save about half of that base salary if we release him.

Gates definitely won't be with us on his current contract in 2015, when his base salary goes up to $5.9 million, but I think he stays for one more year. He's valuable enough to the franchise that given this is already a close call you probably hold on to him. But if someone is willing to give up a decent draft choice (4th rounder would be enough for me) I'd trade him.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,583
    I think it's worth dangling the carrot though, I can think of at least 10 teams who could use a declining Gates on a 2 year deal that includes no guaranteed money. Tony G's success the last 5 years can only help his stock.

17. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    Sure - no harm no foul. Maybe we'll get another Whitehurst type of deal.

• Like Like x 1
  18. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,760
    I'd rather see the Bolts have a little tradition and start getting some who start and end their careers with the club on a good note. Tomlinson's departure wasn't pretty but in the end he went Sherman on Dego, that was very disappointing from Mr. Class himself.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,594
    I would want to see if he was willing to take a cut in pay or transfer some to bonus money so we can build off the success and get him a ring. Frame it like that be might be more willing

20. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +291
    Another benefit of a trade scenario is that TT wouldn't likely entertain offers from AFCW rivals. If the Boltz keep him this year and cut him later, who knows?

21. powayslugger

powayslugger 2014--- Bring on the Lombardi!

Ratings:
    +163
    I could see the Detroit Lions interested in him. They want to give Stafford a "good" TE to throw to... they don't have that right now. They'd be willing to trade a 3rd or 4th rounder to get him I believe. Isn't Gates from Detroit area as well?