1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Ant's Rant: PUT LT'S *** ON THE BENCH

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, Oct 7, 2008.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,600
    I feel the need to rant on something; this isn't Poof, this is me.

LT needs to plant his backside on the bench. And if LT doesn't want to, then Norv Turner, if he had some grapefruit, would bench LT.

LT is not himself and no one in the league is afraid of LT like they used to.

There's four flaws
    1. LT doesn't have a good burst hitting the hole
    2. LT goes down way too easily
    3. LT can't jump
    (LT can leap then that4th and goal is a TD no question).
    4. LT can't make any moves (juke, jive, hell I haven't even seen a stiff arm)

LT has become a burden, we are still giving him carries and we aren't getting any result. I have a belief that he's still injured and that he's not sure of himself and his ability to make moves. I admire and appreciate that LT wants to fight through it, I believe that makes him a warrior. But a leader has to know when he's affecting a team negatively and put himself aside and sit down.

People complain that Sproles will get tired out of his role as KR/PR if he's given 25 carries. People complain that your taking away our running game, our big threat.

1) We have no idea if he will because its never been tried.
    2) Since when is Sproles the only guy in the backfield? Where's the guy we gave a goddamn 2nd rounder up to the goddamned Patriots to get? Wasn't he supposed to rotate with Sproles and give us a better interior running game? And isn't that the only frakking thing that Norv calls in the running game?
    3) Don't we also have a more athletic and multi-talented FB who can run and catch better then LoNeal?
    4) Our running game is NOT a threat now, not in any way.

It's time to put love of the player aside and think of what's best for the team. If LT wants to pout on the sidelines over doing what's best for the team then TS. I don't want to trade him, when healthy he's still the best there is. And when he gets healthy I would welcome him back to the field with open arms and raucous cheers. But he's not a 20 something year old rookie, he needs to take the time to let his body heal and not to play through it. He needs to think of the team and not just himself.

I can understand its hard on a guy who's been almost completely untouched by injuries for most of his career to be frustrated by two injuries that have limited him heavily over the last year. Still we did this in 2004 when LT had a groin injury, we went more with Jesse Chatman and back then it took LT most of a year to get through the injury. Add four years onto LT's body and I don't think he can play through his recovery and still be effective.

It's time to take a necessary step to help rescue this season and it starts with putting LT on the bench and letting him rest.

• Like Like x 1
  2. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

:yes: :yes: And that's the ONLY way it will happen.

Well that or if LT really gets hurt. We don't want that!!! :no:

3. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +441
    Well said.

I love LT, the best player to ever wear the Lightning Bolts, but he is not the LT we know and love right now. A 100% someone else is better right now. LT is a shadow of himself at the moment.

4. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +346
    This cracks me up....I mean seriously, listen to you all.

How is LT ever gonna win?

Last year, everyone ripped him a new ******* for not playing in the AFC title game because of a serious knee injury that would allow him to cut.

Now he has a toe injury that allows him to function, but not cut as well, but he is out there because of all the sh!t he took last year from the media and fans for being soft.

You all need to figure out which side you want to be on.

The LT need's not to play until he is healed side.

Or the LT needs to play until his wheels fall off side.

I frankly am getting tired of the NO MATTER WHAT HE DOES BASHING!

• Like Like x 4
  5. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,178
    Bwaaaaaahahahahahahahahahaha!

6. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

This is not Tennis, Golf, Bowling, etc. So LT will not win.

Who is "everyone." Sure as Hell wasn't me. LT would not sit out of the biggest game of his career because he broke his fingernail. That's just stupid talk!!!

I'm on the Chargers side!!! LT needs not to worry about what the media says about him, rest his wheels, and get healthy!!!

7. JAMMER

JAMMER BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +168
    After NE games i would bench LT until week 10 after London and our Bye... he would be 100% Missing Buffalo and NO games that is a risk a would take

8. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt New Member

Ratings:
    +192
    Ant, your rant sucks ***, and any opinion you've ever had or will have on LT has been nullified since the AFC Championship game. The running game hasn't lost us any game this year, a blind man could see that. A blind man could also see that LT didn't get enough carries in the Dolphins game, and as a result, the offense looked more inept than ever.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Showmeyourbolt

Ratings:
    +192
    I say bench Gates for the rest of the year.

10. Showmeyourbolt

Ratings:
    +192
    Rivers too. His injury and poor play cost us the Dolphins game when Norv asked him to shoulder the offensive load.

11. Showmeyourbolt

Ratings:
    +192
    Jamal as well. It's obvious that his knees are hurt and he can't play well any more.

12. Showmeyourbolt

Ratings:
    +192
    Sproles got hurt in the Dolphins game and only averaged 4 yards a carry. Time for a benching.

13. English

English @tonywaters

Ratings:
    +78
    It's not a case of being on one side or the other; it's simply a matter of personal opinions of what is the best for the team.

I'm a firm believer that somebody who (for whatever reason) isn't the best in any given position shouldn't be a starter. In the case of an injured player the rest will assist the healing process and invariably results in a hungrier, more determind player when he returns.

I'm with the antman on this one, Sproles is more incisive and should start.

14. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    80% LT > Most RB's in the NFL. That said, I wish we would have resigned The Burner......:unsure:

15. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Reads alot like poof.

16. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,600
    Wow
    Just wow
    Good to see you
    1) did not refute any point I made, instead used lame sarcasm
    2) failed to read my entire post or even let it enter your brain and
    3) Took your cues on what I believe from a self-absorbed poster with a vendetta against me

LT got carries in the Dolphins game, he got carries in every game. If you somehow see the LT from 2007 or 2006 in his performance this year, then you are wearing rose colored glasses at best, or are delusional at worse. Want proof? That Fourth and Goal, if LT is at full power he scores, no question.

LT is not at 100% he can't power through this injury any more then he could the knee injury in the playoffs. I don't blame LT for getting injured but I blame his ego in thinking he could 'power through this' when its plain he can't and I blame Norv/AJ/etc for not doing what's best for the team and benching him until he heals. Its not the same thing with Gates (has been at lease semi-effective against other teams) or Jamal (slow starter probably in his last/second to last year) and to suggest it shows your not actually watching the game (I won't even dignify the others with a response).

As far as him being 80% and being better then most rbs in the league, it depends on the injury and this toe injury limits him to the point that he is definitely NOT better then most running backs. If it was some other injury (maybe an arm injury?) you could probably make a claim but he's been ineffective out there and other teams and keying in on him.

17. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I love LT - favorite Charger, no, favorite Football Player of all time. But Ant is right here - he needs to sit & get healed up.

There was a small set of folks here who bashed LT for his demeanor in the AFCCG last year. Many, in fact, are no longer on this board. Either way, I really don't think that our rants/opinions have much affect on how players play, coaches coach, or GMs manage. It's all good & fine to vent, just realize that 99% of the time it means bupkus to the organization.

18. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Why does he have to be benched? Why can't he split the load with Sproles, Tolbert and War Daddy? I think you are being a bit melodramatic.

19. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +346
    Okay so this is where I call bullshit. Werent you the same Ant that said "I have to admit I lost alot of respect for LT today"?

And I believe that is when he took himself out and told Norv he couldnt go last year in the AFCCG and sat on the sidelines..So where does it end? I mean he goes out and gives it a go and you *****, he takes himself out for the very same reason that you say he should last year and you say you lost respect.

Now I am not picking on you, its more than just you but this is getting ridiculous.

20. Chuck F.

Chuck F. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37

This ia a warrior-like post.:flag::abq2::abq2:

21. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +346

I guess than does that matter as to why he says he lost respect for him last year when LT took himself out of the AFCCG.

Then this year he goes out every week apparently in pain, because the vast majority of Charger fans *****ed at him for not going out last year....And now he blames his ego?

Come on I am sorry I know alot of you on here will support this post and agree with what he is saying.

But this is one thing I just WILL NOT support.

22. Chuck F.

Ratings:
    +37

Last year he pussed out. This year he is just playing like a *ussy.:icon_rofl:

23. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680

You can’t make a blanket statement like that. If LT’s “missing 20 percent” is his ability to cut, then he is hurting the team by playing.

The lack of a running threat played a huge role in the Miami loss. So does the fact that Gates is so hobbled he can be covered by any white linebacker.

Throw in the undersized Hardwick being dominated in the middle, and it is no wonder that this offense is struggling.

FWIW: I never bagged on LT for not playing, and I never bought into the whole “he could be used as a decoy” line of thinking either.

LT needs to ride the pine until he can cut again, plain and simple.

24. Chuck F.

Ratings:
    +37
    The play where he attempted to cut and bumped into his lineman's backside and fell ever so gently to the ground in the most pathetic of fashions was only outdone by his stellar attempts at blocking oncoming blitzers.:lol:

25. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,600
    Do YOU even know why I said what I said or do you just believe a half assed quote from a 1/4 assed poster?
    You haven't even countered one stinkin comment I made, you instead resort to a sad attempt at character assassination.

26. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +441
    Some did 'rip him a new etc' for sitting out the AFCCG, not me though. I reckoned he was hurt and so sat out.

Do u really think he is out there because of all the media/fan crap he got?. I reckon it is more a sign of the man, wanting to try/fight and do it for the team.

One thing is clear however he is nowhere near 100% in my opinion. This 80% LT > other backs might be true but LT isn't even 80% imho.

If I need to be on a side it is the 'LT needs to sit until he is 100%' side.

This is what will be best for the team and LT in the long run. When we need him come playoffs time (please God) then let's having him firing on all cylinders. In my mind I have no doubt Sproles, Tolbert and Hester can carry us for a month or so.

Even Legs might be useful now and again. :tup:

27. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,600
    please read the FULL post - bench him until he gets fully healthy and let the three mentioned above carry the load until then

28. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +441
    I reckon it's a little early to be using the 'undersized Hardwick' stuff. When 100% fit Nick is a stud. Looks like he may have returned a little early. I don't think Goff is all that much of a help anymore either. Time for him to go imho.

29. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    I read the full post... twice. From what I understand of his injury, rest alone won't cut it. He needs to work it, which why I questioned benching him entirely. Why can't he get 5 - 10 touches a game? How could that hurt us? Heck, his decoy value alone should keep the other teams guessing. I am confident Sproles/Tolbert/Hester can carry the rest of the load.

30. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    I guess that would be me; the fact is you did say it, and its filled out my siggy section quite nicely.