1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Antwan Applewhite To ILB

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Zeus, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    I saw some posts about this in other message boards. I was wondering what people though about moving him to ILB competing for the spot.

He is big and tall and is fast enough. He has an eye for the ball and has shown ability to grow. I think with experience he can be better than Dobbins and Matt.

2. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    I'd rather have Burnett but we'll see who won the position come MNF against the Turds.

AA was nice ST's though :tup:

3. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    line'em up and let's see who wins the starting job

4. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    I think the thread title should be changed. I read it, and I thought the Chargers had made an announcement that Applewhite was actually switching.

• Like Like x 1
  5. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    Me too. False advertisment. Otherwise, I wouldn't have even bothered to read it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Should we PUT Antwan Applewhite To ILB?

Fixed it. (see above)

7. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    I dont know why you would say that and i dont know why they would move him to ILB. Aplewhite imo is on the bubble after drafting English.

His competition is Tucker now.

8. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    Got a pretty fair idea who will win that competition - but I may get a surprise. That is why there is a Training Camp. :)

9. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    Tucker is more of a pure pass rusher. Applewhite is better against the pass and run. He is one of our better players on special teams.

if it was just Applewhite and Tucker, and we will see, Applewhite who contributes more and gets paid less will probably win out.

In any case this is more towards Applewhite and possible ability to fill in for ILB.

10. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    In this interview on 1360 XstraSports, AJ speaks of different rush packages that'll include Tucker, Applewhite and English.

11. JUGGERNAUT

JUGGERNAUT BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    the chargers cut marques harris and anthony waters. i think there's enough room for both players.

12. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820

Subtract Harris and Waters. Add English, Merriman (off of IR), Burnett, and possibly Beckwith (the highly regarded UDFA from LSU). Just the math tells me that 3 or 4 LB's are now officially on "the bubble". Even throw Ellison into that mix depending on how we will untilize him. We will be cutting a couple of backers that can play in this league. We have some serious competition and depth both inside and out. :yes:

13. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    word; some hard decisions will hafta be made.

14. JUGGERNAUT

JUGGERNAUT BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    just holding out hope that wilhelm and his big mouth finally get the axe. and i'm sure there will be some surprises again this year, like when polk got cut. i, at least, didn't really see that one coming.

15. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    That would mean one player is on the bubble.

Merriman was out, he is back. Takes the place of Harris.

Waters spot is taken by Burnett.

Chargers want 2 starting ILB, 2 starting OLB, at least 2 backups for each position. Maybe a third LB for the OLB position

That is a minimum of 8 LBs.

There are 14 LBs.

James Holt and Felder will probably be cut.

Eric Bakhtiari is either on our PS or will be cut.

Matt Wilhelm, Burnett, or Dobbins might be cut.

The leaves 11 players with maybe 2 or 3 more players that will be cut.

I see who is on the bubble, in order as:

Beckwith, Matt, Dobbins, Tucker, Applewhite, Burnett.

Tucker has shown flashes, was injured last year, and has a decent sized contract. His lack of contribution on special teams means he only has his couple of good games to keep him on. If he falters he is gone.

Applewhite being more of a LB roll, able to rush and drop back along with his contribution in special teams and the fact he gets paid very little means he is more likely than others to stay. Beckwith has shown nothing yet being an UDFA.

I see either Matt or Dobbins gone.