1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Any chance we could trade Billy Volek to the Falcons?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by LittleTrain, Jul 19, 2007.

1. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    I'm looking for anyway to get rid of the guy, I admit it.

Maybe Whitehurst is ready to be the backup now with a year on the bench to learn. We might be able to sucker a pick out of the Falcons based on Volek's 5 good games of his entire life that everyone remembers him for from back in the day.

Then we could get a developmental guy to be #3 and call it good.

2. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Aaron Brooks is looking for a job. :lol:

3. Kev

Kev BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +39
    :)

So what's the file on Volek? I really don't know the guy. Can you compare and contrast with who the Bolts could snag for a #3?

4. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402

Whats your problem with Volek?

5. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    What woudl they give us that we would want?

6. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Where have you been bubba!

7. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    So were you Ron Mexico in the Chat Room?:lol:

8. richpjr

richpjr BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18
    People always seem to want to get rid of Charger QBs.

Volek is one of the better backup QBs in the league and I would not be comfortable with Whitehurst as our backup going into this season. I'm not sure who you think is available out there that would be better than Volek, but that would seriously weaken our team.

9. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,580
    More so than Whitehurst? Hell, Whitehurst took over for Rivers in the Titans game and scored a TD on a naked bootleg. That showed me he's a gamer. :yes:

10. LFEpooh124

LFEpooh124 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +38
    What about Brett Elliot? :icon_shrug:

11. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    First shot in the Rivers v. Whitehurst wars?:lol:

12. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Rivers hasn't won the Super Bowl since the 07 season. His QB dropped again and his interception ratio sucks. Whitey filled in great when Rivers got hurt last year. He is ready man I am telling you. Dump Rivers, we need cap room.

(Just practicing for 2010)

13. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Well, that turned out well for them didn't it?

14. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402

Big deal, we were way ahead and they were already demoralised

15. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    For the right price, hell yes.

16. HeatMiser

HeatMiser BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    I don't think AJ trades Volek this season. Too much at stake and Volek is one of the best backups in the league. If I am the Falcons, I am more interested in young Mr. Whitehurst. He has the potential to be a long term starter for some team down the road (Volek does not). If Norv and AJ let Whitehurst play a lot in preseason and he lights it up, just maybe the Falcons make a play for him.

Of course, they could just sign Culpepper or Aaron Brooks, too. And they have the multi-talented Joey Harrington on the team already, don't forget.

17. Steve

Steve BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +19
    I think the Falcons are getting ready for their season to self distruct. I don't think they are going to overpay for Volek. THey might offer us a mid-round pick for him, but they can probably get any of a number of guys like him, so there is no reason for them to overpay.

I would like to see Whithurst perform a little bit before we annoint him the #2 QB. I think he will take over, but since a #2 QB is all about security, keeping Volek means more in that sense then just getting a middle round draft pick.

18. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    Well I don't see how Volek is a great option to go to if something were to happen to Rivers. He built his rep on a handful of crazy games vs. crappy defenses years ago and hasn't been even average since when he's been given a chance to play. Tennessee handed him the job & Fisher/Chow ran him out of town because they didn't want him as THEIR starter.

It goes back to he's "proven" but more often than not he's proven to fail. Maybe the surrounding talent is so good it can make Norv and him a winner at the same time? At some point that has to start hurting.

ATL wouldn't sign Moss when he wanted to go there. I really doubt they would bring in Culpepper. There aren't a lot of good QB options floating around out there. If you could convince them to buy into the Volek hype, I'd take a trade. Heck a mid-rounder turned into Oliver this year and could have been Gaither if we had another one to throw around.

19. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    A brand new coach in the league coming from an offensive system is NOT going to just throw away his first year because of a QB issue. He'll find another one and try to put up some points and win.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    http://home.earthlink.net/~bdave/id24.html

Billy Volek: signed 4-year deal thru 2007-2008 season on 3//25/04- + the deal includes an option for the 2008-2009 season worth $2.2M- + he receives base salaries of $1M in 2006, $1.25M in 2007- + he receives a $500,000 roster bonus in March of 2006 and 2007 Agent: Drew Rosenhaus

We have a contractual option to pick up Volek for the 08-09 season for $2.2 million. That is cheap for Voleks experience. Dude stays this year for sure and probably next year as well. We need a stadium and we need the horses.

This is not an indictment against Whitey because he is the ****. I like this dude but I am more comfortable knowing we have three studs in the stable. If the stadium crap were not looming as large, I would be more inclined to wheel and deal especially since we are three deep for quality depth at the QB spot.

21. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    I don’t know much about Volek, but the Falcons are in a heap of trouble. Joey Harrington just isn’t a starting-caliber NFL QB; he’s too inaccurate, has no touch, throws a poor deep ball, the Falcons have NO CHANCE if they put Harringtion under center.

Chris Redman is even worse, IMO he was probably put on the roster just to help Vick learn Petrino’s offense. The dude hasn’t even stepped onto a football field since 2003, and his arm strength was inadequate even in his prime.

If I’m the Falcons coach or GM, I don’t want a career backup. They need somebody who has a lot of starting experience, and somebody who can learn a system quickly and give the team a chance to win. Maybe like a Drew Bledsoe.