1. Welcome to Los Angeles Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the Los Angeles Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Any Hockey Fans?

Discussion in 'Hockey' started by RaiderRay, Mar 7, 2018.

1. RaiderRay

RaiderRay RIP SD Chargers..Go Raiders, Go Irish Staff Member Administrator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,044
    It's quickly becoming my favorite sport. Go Gulls and Ducks!

• Like Like x 3
  2. Ordane

Ordane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +166
    Not quite a fanatic, but I do really like going to the games. I started liking the Ducks only when they brought back the Gulls.

Hockey to me is like basketball, if I had a hometown team I would probably be way more into it. I looked into getting the AHL package this season but its kinda pricy and doesnt have the greatest coverage. So, other than the 2-3 games a season I go to my only Gulls action is an occasional 1090 broadcast. Craig Elston is good, so its easy to get whats goin on.

As for the Ducks they usually land on my TV muted as background visuals while Im spinning music. Same goes for the Clippers.

3. Concudan

Concudan Still Chargin Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +5,652
    I have seen the Blues play, and the Gulls. Enjoyed both games.

4. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard FORMER Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +1,840
    I used to be way into it when I was in elementary school/middle school. Every Saturday my friends and I would watch the game of the week on TV, then play street hockey all day. I became a huge Philadelphia Flyers fan back then, their goalie Bernie Parent was awesome, and that was around the time the Broad Street Bullies thing was going on. While I was big into it, they won two Stanley Cups. Somewhere along the line I lost interest, a lot of years went by, and then a few years ago I started watching hockey again. I am only a casual fan at best, but I picked back up with the Flyers since they were my team way back when. I try to get to one of the games when they play either the Kings or Ducks, went with my son earlier this year and saw them beat the Ducks in OT. I want to try to get to a Gulls game when they are playing Ontario, it's only a bit over an hour from here.

[​IMG]

5. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +1,840
    I just looked and the Gulls are playing in Ontario this Friday, I'll have to see if I can get there.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Ordane

Ordane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +166
    Big Bear feels a lot closer than it is. Takes about 45 from my pad.. Its the driving thru the mountains that takes forever.

...dude, your kid looks super familiar, one of the breweries maybe?

7. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +1,840
    Yeah, it's like 45-50 minutes down the hill, then however far after that.

The kid lives in Riverside, grad student at UCR.

8. Ordane

Ordane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +166
    Im not too far from UCR

9. RamAirVA

RamAirVA New Name, Same Attitude

Ratings:
    +486
    Now you're talking my language! Norfolk Admirals are the local team here (affiliate with the Oilers currently, I believe), and of course my NHL team is the Washington Capitals being a DC-area native.

Played the game for most of my life as well. Always love to talk pucks.

10. RamAirVA

Ratings:
    +486
    Ah ha, a Metro Division rival...this should be fun.

At least you ain't wearing that cursed black and gold...

11. Ordane

Ordane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +166
    I thought the Caps were the best team in hockey last couple of years.. This year tho a lot of teams look really good. As crazy as it is Vegas looks like the team to beat!

The Admirals were the Ducks affiliate until they brought back the Gulls right?

12. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +1,840
    The Flyers rose to the top of the division for an instant, now they have dropped back down. Just hoping they can keep playing well and get into the playoffs.

13. RamAirVA

Ratings:
    +486
    They have a good young core, and I really like Konecny and Provorov. If they ever get some stability between the pipes they will be a handful with some of the veterans they have on board.

Think the lowest they fall is the first WC spot, which would pit them against either Pittsburgh or Washington, in any event. I don't think the Flyers will be an easy out for either one of those two teams, though they might not have enough to outlast either one.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +1,840
    As I was saying earlier, I was a much bigger fan when I was younger. A few years ago I finally got to see them live, no drivers license or disposable income when I was in elementary school/middle school. I really want to go catch a game in Philly one day.

15. LABoltFan

LABoltFan Bunker Transplant

Ratings:
    +261
    Ive been a lifelong Kings fan. I tried giving a little support to the Ducks (being in the OC) when they came into the league but the rivalry just took off and now I cant stand them. Seeing the Kings win the Stanley Cup in 2012 (then again in 2014) was a dream come true. On the scale of finally seeing the Chargers win the Lombardi.

Went to the game against Washington (Kings won 3-1) a couple weeks back and scored a seat right next to the penalty box.

16. Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +819
    My friend is a hockey fan so he's tried to get me into it. I'm kind of following the Coyotes - don't ask me to name a player or the coach or any rule. I just know the Yotes fit into my fan life because they are losers who will probably end up moving before they win a championship.

Oh - and the Kings suck.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. LABoltFan

Ratings:
    +261

Good luck with the Coyotes. At least no one will accuse you of being a band wagoner. ;)

18. RamAirVA

Ratings:
    +486
    Think about it this way...for the Coyotes there is nowhere to go but up and at least you can point to the Canucks and Sabres as being worse than you. And they are stockpiling prospects.

OTOH, you could be me...a Washington Capitals fan who know that the team that is going to eliminate you at some point in the first two playoff rounds resides in your own division.

19. RaiderRay

RaiderRay RIP SD Chargers..Go Raiders, Go Irish Staff Member Administrator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,044
    Duck and Gulls both get the W today and 2 points as the postseason draws closer.

20. RaiderRay

Ratings:
    +2,044
    For the sake of us San Diegans, I surely hope that Team Spanos never wins a Lombardi.

• Like Like x 2
  21. Concudan

Concudan Still Chargin Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +5,652
    Is there any way to make just an avatar image on ignore?

22. Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +819
    I just can't pay attention to hockey. There is nothing entertaining about it for me. I tried. I really did.

Since the Chargers ditched me, I have learned to appreciate other sports a little more. When I am out, I will now always request basketball be put on, and, when in a cantina, I can stand soccer. I have always kind of dug men's tennis when there are big rivalry matches. I recently realized how cool curling is when I am drunk and stoned and gambling. I am really digging the Tiger comeback in golf. And Padres baseball and Aztecs football are still my favorites.

But hockey is almost as boring as the NFL when I really don't have a great rooting interest. Plus the sound of it, for me, is pretty close to monkey boners forcibly scraped on the chalkboard.

I want to root for Phoenix teams like the Coyotes because I have been here a decade. But it isn't the same thrill as rooting for San Diego, and it never will be. Phoenix is a fine city about 8 months out of the year, but I have no sense of belonging or pride attached to my current homeland. **** - I felt more part of the culture when I lived in a rural part of Mexico. But my heart and soul will always be dipped in Whale's Vagina. So, I guess, if the Gulls ever make it to a bar in Phoenix, I will suffer the sounds of monkey torture to cheer them on.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
  23. RaiderRay

Ratings:
    +2,044
    Hockey is the one sport where you really need to experience it live. It's so fast paced and players can't take plays off. Give it another shot during the playoffs. Might be enough to make you a fan.

24. Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +819
    I don't buy tickets to sporting events anymore. I like dive bars with limited bathroom lines. I get treated to baseball games sometimes - that's about it.

25. RamAirVA

Ratings:
    +486
    I almost forgot, the current incarnation of the Gulls was once -- wait for it -- the Norfolk Admirals. Oh well, we got a new incarnation of the Admirals now and at least our owners' name ain't Spanos :D

And congrats to my Caps for a third straight Metropolitan Division title, now if we could just do something in the playoffs...

26. Harryo the K

Harryo the K Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +854
    Just watched my Kings top the Avalanche 3-1 take back 3rd place in the Pacific Division from the evil Ducks.
    Two games left in the season. Kings need 1 more point to clinch. They play a helluva defense.

• Like Like x 1
  27. Ordane

Ordane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +166
    ...Thanks

28. LABoltFan

Ratings:
    +261
    Damn, you might not be so bad after all...

Im going to the game on Thursday and hope to see them get that point.

29. RaiderRay

Ratings:
    +2,044
    Evil Ducks?! Nah...they have the edge to finish ahead of the Kings. Go Ducks!

30. RaiderRay

Ratings:
    +2,044
    BTW Gulls game will be televised vs Ontario (Kings affiliate) this Saturday night on Fox5/69 at 7PM. Go Gulls!