1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Any news at all?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Fossil, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +299
    A lot happening around the league: restructuring, resigning, releasing, tagging--look at all KC has done in an effort to better themselves.
    WTH is going on with the Chargers? With a roster like ours, no news is bad news. Is the FO on vacation or are the UT sports reporters totally lagging?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627
    The league year doesn't start until next week. No need to freak out. No news is nothing more than no news.

They do not have a ton of cap room, have no players worthy of franchise tag, only a couple players could/would get restructured deals, and have too many holes to fill to waste draft picks making a trade for a player that will be expensive or a free agent in a couple years.

They will make a ton of news this off season, but i doubt any will be huge moved

3. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +768
    What Johnny Patrick wasn't good enough?!?!?!:D

I agree the last we heard was they were going to release Garay...................didn't release Garay yet
    They wanted to re work McMichaels contract..................they didn't
    they wanted to re work Takeo Spikes contract....................they didn't

For me, If I truly believed they were going to start cutting players (which Im hoping they do, preferably on the O line) I would think they would have started doing that by now. New GM and HC coming in, with no ties to any of the players, you'd imagine they would have given some of these players "out of respect" a head start in free agency to latch onto another team.

I know we're not going to bring in the Mike Wallace's or Jake Long's in free agency. But it would be nice to se them clear some cap room to bring in a few serviceable players. With our division opponents arguably getting stronger, The fact that we may go into this season with the same 7-9/8-8 roster scares the (BLEEP) out of me.

Again free agency is still a week away, so I know Im over reacting a bit thinking they won't do anything. But every other team, mainly the ones with new GM's and HC's have all done something in some shape or form to kick off the off season, yet I haven't even heard a peep out of our guys, other than they have a plan.

I just hope and pray Bill Polians philosophy of not retaining your star players and replacing them with "just guys" hasn't been implanted in Telesco's mind. Other wise, looking at the roster we have now, he's more giddy than a school girl waiting in line to buy tickets for the next Twilight movie.

I had high hopes for Telesco and McCoy, still do. I just hope they prove me right.

Keep in mind, this "glass half empty" mentality is the Padres fan inside. While the Dodgers, Giants, and D backs continue to improve, Byrnes continues to do nothing except give more money to the same players that were on the team that finished 4th place, Promising to bring in starting pitching, then saying "see I told you guys you can be excited" after they brought in Jason Marquis, Tyson Ross and Freddy Garcia.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +124
    Why should they release players that have no roster bonus to be paid? They can bring them to TC and get a good evaluation of them before releasing them.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627
    Exactly, until they are due to get a pay check, they don't count against the cap. So no reason to cut anyone until they are due some sort of bonus that effects the cap

6. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +768
    Because Clary for instance has a base salary or 4 million, his prorated bonus is 1.7 million, his cap number is 5.7 million releasing him would save us @ 3 million. I'd rather use that 3 million to help re sign Vas or bring in Levitre.

Spikes salary is 3 million, his PB is 700,000. his cap number is 3.7. releasing him would save us 3 million. In his case I'd like to see them re work his contract. Again 3 miilion in saving that could be used to resign one of our guys or bring someone else in.

McMichael's cap is 1.6, if released we'd see 135k in dead money while saving 1.5 million

Like I said Im just overreacting but it would be nice to hear just some names of player interests or directions the team want to go. All we hear is ....................well, we aren't hearing anything.

The Chargers have yet to make free agent OG Louis Vasquez an offer.
    That's despite the fact that keeping Vasquez is supposedly a priority. The Union-Tribune San Diego reported two weeks ago the Bolts were expected to make an offer "shortly." Vasquez is expected to draw heavy interest on the open market, and with free agents allowed to begin negotiating with other teams in just three days, Vasquez could easily get lured away from San Diego.

7. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +768
    Scratch that, The Chargers just announced they are re doing the grass on their practice fields with Hybrid Bermuda sod :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +299
    I'm not freaked out yet, but sort of disappointed we haven't busted any moves yet. Kind of a deja vu feeling that we have a mediocre roster and nothing's going to be done to change it (but this might be the Padres' glass is half empty syndrome Bolts4lyfe mentioned ^^^).
    Personally, with a rookie head coach and some signs of increased competition within our division (at least on paper), I'm kind of expecting...on the downside...another 7/9 or 8/8 season. That's if they improve the roster. But if they maintain the status quo, I fear we'll be drafting a lot higher next season.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,600
    Bueller.........Bueller..........Bueller........

• Like Like x 1
  10. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +768
  11. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627
    Spikes released

12. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +768
  13. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,601
    Wow, not sure I approve of this move. Old and slow maybe, but he is the leader of the defense.

We better use this money to do something smart, like land a starting RT or CB in free agency.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +768
    Im curious if he refused to take a pay cut? Now that thats out of the way, just one more gap to fill. But you're right this move can't just be so we can pick up a Johnny Patrick. I wanna see Takeo's loss go to a Proven, great player.

15. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +768
    I expect more moves to happen today

16. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +299
    See? FO reads these threads! (JK)

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627
    Suggestions? Wanna go down the list of "Proven great players" from past years and see how many even came close to matching the performance that got them a big contract?

We need to get some of the Steve Foley, Randall Godfrey, Mike Goff style FA's like we did in 2004 that helped turn around the org by being legit starters who were not expensive and far from big names

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +299
    (Tom Telesco softly knocks on Antonio Garay's door) "Hey big guy, can I see you in my office a sec?"

• Like Like x 1
  19. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +768
    At ILB I am talking about guys like

Brad Jones or Moise Fokou. Some by reading those names may think Who?!?!?!

Last year Jones had 77 tackles, 2 sacks, and 1 FF as well as 4 pass deflections

Fokou not as great as Jones's numbers had 43 tackles and 1 sack

I apologize when I said proven, great players I should have put more emphasis on proven. Im not expexting or asking for the Front office to sign all or any big time names but more of the under the radar guys like a Donald Butler type.

I guarantee you ask 10 non Charger fans, who Donald Butler is, I guarantee at least 7 aren't going to know.

20. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +768
    If/when Garay gets released we should have @ 15 mil. Could do a lot more damage then what was originally anticipated when it was projected to be @ 6.7

21. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627
    Glad you clarified that. I was afraid you were going to be one of those guys crying about us needing to go out and get the biggest names out there.

As for Butler, I couldn't care less if other teams fans know who he is, he is the 2nd best player on the defense and would start on just about every team in the NFL. Being known doesn't mean being great. No one knew who Donnie Edwards or Randal Godfrey were, and they were very good players.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,887
    It's the off-season and free agency hasn't even started yet.

Chill the heck out

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  23. BoltWalt

BoltWalt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +68
    I sincerely hope not!

24. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +299
    Couple recent Telesco quotes might explain the lack of action. First one was off another forum and not linked anywhere.

"We won't be heavy in the high-priced market," Telesco said. "There's a time and place for it. There's a time and a place for smaller, more nuanced moves. That's what scouting is all about. We'll make some calls, but I don't think we're calling 20 to 30 guys or anything like that. We've got a small group of guys we're going to look at and see if they can upgrade us or have a role for us."

''We're probably not going to be a major splash team in free agency,'' Telesco said Friday. ''There's a time and place for it, but that time and place is not this year for us... We've got to get seven or eight guys that we feel good about. Between free agency, the draft, waiver wire, maybe some guys that come out on the street, trades, we've got to attack it all different ways. We're not going to go in and fix it one way.''
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/telesco-bolts-wont-splash-free-230723439--nfl.html

So to fill all the current and anticipated holes, it looks active draft (maybe trade out of first round, esp. if one of the top two quarterbacks is on the board), sign some 2nd or 3rd tier FAs, walkons, guys off other teams' practice squads, and trades. Not sure there's much else Telesco can do for us this upcoming season. Thanks AJ.

Would like to see them restructure PR and Weddle for cap relief if it makes sense for everyone concerned.

25. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627
    Adam Caplan@caplannfl
    This is surprising: Chargers are planning on using the low RFA tender on WR Danario Alexander, per source.

26. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +768
    I like DX and would love for him to remain healthy as a major weapon. But if another team decides they want to gamble on his injuries, as long as we get a 4th or 5th out of it, I'll accept

27. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627
    With the lower tender, we would get zero compensation. The lowest tender would net a team the original draft round that the player was drafted in, and since DA was an undrafted player, we get zero compensation.

I in no way think he should get a long term deal or even the 1st round tender, but the 2nd round tender only costs $690k more than the low tender. So to risk losing a productive player with zero compensation, just seems ridiculous to me. I think they should tender him with the 2nd round tender, then dangle him for a 3rd rounder for any team who wants him

• Agree Agree x 2
  28. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +768
    If Telesco chooses to find depth in Free agency with O line, and secondary help then pick up the major pieces in the draft, I'm all for it, as long as they're decent players or former pro bowlers like Adrian Wilson.

But if they go into next season with Clary slated as the RT I'll be very displeased with Telesco

29. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +768
    I was thinking a low got us a 4th and origional got us nothing.

30. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627