1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Any news at all?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Fossil, Mar 6, 2013.

1. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    O-line
    Safety
    CB
    LB
    This is getting pretty damn close to being a rebuild. ;)

2. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627
    Its needed. but no reason it has to be an extended project. Colts showed they could get it done quickly

3. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,019
    Well... sort of. They're still doing the rebuild at OLB, CB (one spot's covered assuming he's re-signed in this market, the other is still up in the air), and several places on the OL (like RT where Paul Kruger found the path of least resistance in that playoff game was through the Colts' starting RT). Again, it'd be swell for people to stop using the Colts as an example (I get that's where Telesco came from and all, but...), they won a playoff spot off a last-place schedule and a ton of come-from-behind wins against mediocre and bad teams - they'll come back down to earth rather hard unless they have a Godsend of an off-season this year (especially considering they have Hal Hunter working with their OL now, and Manusky still as their DC).

Fact is, everything isn't going to be able to be addressed in a single off-season, but it all doesn't have to be. Looking at our scheme, and the amount of zone assignments we give the LB's and one of the safeties so consistently, we don't have to have top-notch CB's just smart, instinctive ones. With quality pass-rush and quality safety play, you can win championships with CB's that weren't high draft picks (prime examples: Seattle, Baltimore, arguably San Francisco). Maybe Taylor's the solution, maybe he's not. I certainly wouldn't let him being on the roster discourage me from putting a claim on a safety prospect in this draft if I fell in love with one, but if not, there are stop-gap guys who can be had that can fill the void, assuming they fit the scheme assignment, until Taylor's fit.

What this team is in sore need of (and has been for a while) is reinforcing the trenches - even if that just means getting actual "quality" depth signed in free agency and then drafting trench-heavy and letting them cut their teeth relatively early. I've already resided myself to the notion that we're probably not going to be in the playoffs next season unless we get extraordinarily lucky (like the Colts did last year). But that's not a bad thing - because even the traditionally successful Steelers and Ravens (or even the Giants last year) have a throwaway (8-8) season every now and then to get through necessary growing pains. Also, I'm expecting the Donkeys to go all-in for Peyton because he's turning 38 in a week or two and realistically only has about 2, maybe 3, seasons left in him.

4. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627
    I didn't use the Colts as an example because they made the playoffs, the point is they went from the 1st pick in the draft, replaced 30 or so players on the roster and significantly improved.

Same thing could be said about the 04 Chargers who were the worst team in the NFL the year before and in one offseason turned it around.

I get that they will not be able to fill every position with long term solutions, but there is no reason to think they can't fill a few with long term solutions and fill a few others with short term solutions that will get us to next offseason when we should have a ton more cap room and ability to fill a few more.

As fro Denver, I agree. And in all honesty, they have a lot of talent on that roster, quite a bit of cap room, and as long as Manning doesn't nose dive like Favre did in 2010, they should be pretty good for a year or 2. I don't expect the Chargers to win the division or a SB or anything, but I do expect them to improve from last year and be ready to take the division soon as Manning does fall on his face, which will happen

5. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +291
    Why have us fans seen that and apparently nobody over in the F/O? I'm trying to recall what year it was when us lowly fans started clamoring "Where's the Beef"?

6. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +291
    Or as long as Manning doesn't nose dive like he did in the second half of the last game he played. Dude had NOTHING!

7. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,019
    I don't know that it was a case of them not seeing it, but rather just not having the priority among those who made the decisions to address it. Neither AJ or John Butler put a high premium on drafting OL early - in part, I believe, because both were spoiled by having ridiculously good OL coaches on their staffs initially who were capable of taking the raw, athletic lumps of clay, cleaning up their technique, and turning them into productive lines (Tom Bresnahan was the OL coach in Buffalo in the 90's and the guy was a mainstay and was damn good). When Hudson Houck was let to walk, that was no longer a viable approach to replenishing the line once the last batch of guys that Houck coached up started parting form the team for their various reasons (Goff - to a lesser degree though he wasn't a huge prize when he first came over from Cincinnati, Dielman, Hardwick, even Olivea before he pulled the Toniu Fonuti following his extension).

AJ, like Butler, just had an affinity for drafting DB's - which was ironic because neither of them were particularly great at it (Weddle and to some respects Jammer - though even he was coached up - and taking the flier on Cromartie were really the only great success cases they had).

8. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +291
    So I guess that begs the question, how good is D'Alissandris?

9. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +441
    In terms of the thread title it seems the UT woke up yesterday and started reporting some real news. Good to hear about the corners being mentioned and that Winston visited. Looks v much like Clary is a goner unless he gets cut and comes back for sweet FA.