1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Anybody else hoping we get away from the 4-3 on 3rd - passing - downs?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by thejdog, Aug 2, 2006.

1. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    I'd like a formation where we rush Merriman, Foley, AND Phillips on 3rd down passing situations, combined with 5 DBs comprised of Jammer, D'Flo, Cromartie, Hart, and McCree.

2. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I say we stay in the 3-4 on those downs and mix it up by sending the linebackers in different combinations. Don't develop a pattern so they're off balance and don't know where the pressure is going to come from. Send Merriman, Phillips, Foley at different times. Maybe even all fo them sometimes. Then it becomes a matter of the other team picking their poison. Any way they go, their drive is dead.

3. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    What I would like to see is us getting to the QB on obvious passing downs sending only 4. Whether we do it from the 3-4 or the 4-3 (maybe better yet a combination of the two) Doesn't matter to me.

I think that Cesaire and Castillo are the best pass rushing 3-4 DE's/4-3 DT's and should be on the field. Big Jamal can get after it or at least tie up a couple of lineman but he can't be on the field every defensive snap. I also think that they need to have Merriman, Phillip and Foley on the field at the same time. Line em up at OLB and DE, drop one and send the other two.

If we can get after it sending only four than we won't have to sacrifice coverage. Disguise who's coming better and keep the offense guessing, those are the keys.

4. mef31

mef31 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    Word on the street is Igor has slimmed down and worked on his speed and quickness. Schotty said he will play more on passing downs this year instead of coming out on 3rd down. If they did go with a dime package on passing downs Igor and Castillo as DTs and Merriman Phillips or Foley as the DEs would be pretty effective.

5. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820

I heard those things about Castillo but not Igor. I still think that Cesaire is a better pass rusher than Igor.

6. mef31

mef31 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    I know about Castillo but I read maybe a week ago that Igor was asking Castillo on how to improve his quickness. But we'll see, if Cesaire is still the better pass rusher than put him in. BTW has any1 seen any TC reports on Cesaire?? I know hes not a starter but he did contribute a good amount last year.

7. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    I heard that he has bulked up and might see some action spelling big Jamal.